Red 4 X-Wing (Bandai 1:72) w/ build video

StevenBills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I was in a creative rut the past few months, and just wanted to build a kit quickly. I had never done a Red 4 paint scheme, and so I went (loosely) in that direction with it. The yellow color is wrong. Came out more flesh-colored than yellow, but oh well. Went together easily. Only real add-on I did was 3D print an R4 droid.

Also made a build video of it, if you're into that:

And some of the final photos:

Xwing-220702-0001.jpg

Xwing-220702-0009.jpg

Xwing-220702-0017.jpg

Thanks for looking!

SB

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Nice work as always and I loved the video, keep them coming! I learned a few new tricks for sure that I will apply to my next build. I really liked that Tamiya Smoke, need to pick up some of that. And as usual, your photography is top-notch! Thanks for sharing.

Jimmer

Very nice job.

I tried Tamiya Smoke once (on clear plastic window of car model) and had terrible results.
Not knocking the paint, I've seen others (including yourself) have excellent results.

For the record, I brushed it on...not airbrush.
It was applied to the two very small, round "windows" on AMT '89 Batmobile.

Edit: Great video, by the way. Just finished watching .

Last edited:

StevenBills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Very nice job.

I tried Tamiya Smoke once (on clear plastic window of car model) and had terrible results.
Not knocking the paint, I've seen others (including yourself) have excellent results.

For the record, I brushed it on...not airbrush.
It was applied to the two very small, round "windows" on AMT '89 Batmobile.

Edit: Great video, by the way. Just finished watching .

Ah yes. I have found that Tamiya paints don't like to be brushed. Maybe I'm just not using the right thinner, but through the airbrush they're a dream. Thanks for watching the video!

SB

Analyzer

Master Member
Excellent work!

I think the yellow color looks great as is.

I think too often people go for a brighter lemon yellow and it looks odd

I think it looks best with a muted sandy/muddy yellow, almost ochre color

also amazed you had the patience to airbrush on those small black dashes. I just hand painted them, a bit sloppily

StevenBills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Excellent work!

I think the yellow color looks great as is.

I think too often people go for a brighter lemon yellow and it looks odd

I think it looks best with a muted sandy/muddy yellow, almost ochre color

also amazed you had the patience to airbrush on those small black dashes. I just hand painted them, a bit sloppily
I am still sticking by my guns and saying that it needs to be more yellow and less "flesh-tone". But I couldn't be bothered to re-mask everything :lol:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.