Recasting stormwatch

Jumpin Jax

Sr Member
Bear with me, definitely on-topic.
Recently, a mutul friend of myself and TE completed and shipped the first suit of his fantastic Snowtrooper armor, which is marvel to see. Two such suits were shown in TK-412's Celebration 3 album of Movie-accurate suits.
To some dismay, it was realized that this suit was to be sent to Florida, and more than likely to a member of the Florida Garrison. This was not the issue; that it was the infamous Mike Glover's territory was.
This outfit is the culmanation of over two year's study and work on our friend's part, and that simply most disrespectful thing that could happen at this point would be duplicates cropping up from the very first sale, not to mention a seriously sh@@ thing to do. I am sending this out to any thaat may encounter Glover in the near future, so you will know, once again, that a "new product" of his will be a brand-new ripoff of someone else's work.
To the Florida Garrison, please makee sure that the lucky owner of this outfit would show appreciation best by politely declining any offers to make copies, no matter what offers may include.
This is also an announcement that any such copies would stand out and not go unnoticed or ignored. Recasting went too far long ago here, let's give it a rest.
Thank you,
JJ

Hi JJ,

I have seen this guy Mike Glover's name creep up here in the RPF a few times but do not know much about his history on or off the RPF.

On principle I like to keep away from recasters obviously for the theft of hard work put in by the original prop makers is part of it but also because people who are willing to steal other peoples work are generally also unreliable rip off merchants full stop.

Has he stolen a lot of stuff made by RPF members and if so is there a list of stuff so we know what to steer clear from. People have asked frequently to have a bad vendor list on the RPF but it has never appeared. Does this guy use an alias that might hide his real identity.

Any info on this guy would be appreciated (a PM would be good if you don't want to discuss publicly).

Also a PM on the availability of great snowtrooper armour wouldn't go a miss either :lol

Cheers Chris.

Contrary to popular belief, the Florida Garrison is not a hot bed of recasting frenzy. Most of the members of the Garrison wouldn't know how to recast their own butts. They're more interested in getting out and trooping. I've had some of my fellow members falsely accused of recasting simply because they live in Florida. This "guilt by geography" knee jerk reaction really is unfair.

When the Snowtrooper armor was posted for sale, I made a post on the FG forum since I knew several members were interested in obtaining some -- for trooping purposes. I know the person who bought the armor and there is nothing to worry about.

Yes, I know Glover has recast material before and I know there have been accusations of current issues. I, nor the Council, have been contacted about issues, though. If there is ongoing concern about an individual, I would appreciate a contact. That would be preferrable to just having our whole state labeled falsely do to the actions of one.

Scott

Originally posted by Skaught@Jan 11 2006, 11:48 AM
Contrary to popular belief, the Florida Garrison is not a hot bed of recasting frenzy.
[snapback]1156234[/snapback]​

Maybe, but they are a hot bed of protecting Glover.

Originally posted by DrStranglove+Jan 11 2006, 02:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrStranglove @ Jan 11 2006, 02:45 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Skaught
@Jan 11 2006, 11:48 AM
Contrary to popular belief, the Florida Garrison is not a hot bed of recasting frenzy.
[snapback]1156234[/snapback]​

Maybe, but they are a hot bed of protecting Glover.
[snapback]1156321[/snapback]​
[/b]

Speaking as the CO of the Florida Garrison, no, we are not.

Scott

Originally posted by DrStranglove@Jan 11 2006, 03:12 PM
Which member of your garison was going to quiz him about the three or four admitted people here who are still owed and has yet to do it?  Oh yea, NEOGELION...

Sorry Scott, I like you but I call BS.

There is another thread here some where....

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...opic=99656&st=0
[snapback]1156391[/snapback]​

Although I am not a member of FG, I would like to say "The actions of an individual do not condem the actions of the group", otherwise you could argue that the ENTIRE RPF is a "hot bed of protecting Glover." since a member here "was going to quiz him about the three or four admitted people here who are still owed and has yet to do it"

And note, I don't mean this as a bait or a flame, merely pointing out a fallacy in your argument.

Neogelion had good intentions but was a bit out of the loop on some things. He believed that untrue accusations were being made. Glover was readmitted to the Legion by a previous CO with conditions and since then made a lot of friends, most of whom did not know about past issues, so people defending a friend is understandable. Defending a friend isn't the same thing as being a coconspirator.

I can't address issues that haven't been brought to my attention by the involved parties, so if there is new concerns that I should be aware of, the involved parties should let me know.

Scott

Looking back over the thread, I will comment that during the "Hyperdyne refund" issue, I did get involved, behind the scenes, to see that the refund was finally made.

I'm not a member of the "lover" or "hater" camps, and both sides zing me as a result. I just want to keep the peace as much as possible while seeing things made right with what resources I have.

Scott

I am a member of the 501st as well as the Florida Garrison. I sit in neither the condemnation nor the vindication camp as far as this issue goes. My biggest fear here though is that I do not want FL members nor non members who reside in FL to be punished because they live in the same state as a banned member. If we continue down this road, how are any in FL supposed to obtain great props? I don't want this turning into a Florida hate fest because something "may be recast". Anytime something is sold it "may be recast". Those are the chances of selling to the public. Not the chances of selling to FL.

I hate to say it but the court of public opinion, which you are currently soaking in, is extremely powerful. I don't disagree that the actions of one individual should not reflect on the whole group. The sad truth is that they do. People are apt to make a lump judgement on a group.

In this situation, the person in question is a member of your group. He has many supporters down there, from the looks of things. It appears that he is being harbored by the members of 501st specifically the FG members. It appears that way. Appearence and the truth may not neccessarily be the same thing.

Scott, I do believe you are trying to make the best out of a bad situation. I also believe that based on the past and current activities of this person he should be given no quarter and dealt with as harshly as possible. If not he will continue to prey on members of this hobby and threads like this will continue to pop up over and over.

What are his proven "current activities"? I am not asking to start trouble or fight, and just so you all know though I have been in the Florida Garrison for about 5 years, and have never had any dealing with the person in question, so I am not a "supporter". However, if there are "proven, current, wrongfull activivities" going on then I understand the gist of this thread. But if there are no proven, current, wrongfull activities going on then I do not understand the allegations of harboring. I do not understand why something that may have happened 6 or 7 years ago, so I've heard, can not be foregiven. I do not understand why the 501st should permanently ban a person for something 6 or 7 years ago. And if they do allow that person in the organization it appears they are harboring? Anyone can get this person's information from the 501st main page or from www.fl501st.com. Anyone has access to his email address and info if they want to get in touch with him. I view harboring as protecting the person from question and inquiry which is not the case. Again see above that I have no stake in this except the reputation of the Florida Garrison.

He has owed someone near Chicago an $800+ refund since October when it was requested. He owes someone near Indianapolis a clone suit that was paid for back in summer. That is only the two I know of off the top of my head. I recall more being mentioned but I cannot speak to that.

He should be booted from 501st because this sort of thing does reflect badly on the whole. He keeps over extending himself and much in the same way that many banned RPF members do. They take on way more than they can handle and people end up either not getting their stuff or not getting their refunds. The person in question has done this several times in the past. To me that is grounds for dismissal but then again I am not in charge of 501st, thankfully.

Out of curiousity, have these people brought this to the attention of the Legion and garrison Command or only tried to handle it themselves so far? I am far from a defender. But honestly, airing issues here and blaming the 501st while not presenting evidence or bringing in the council is pointless bickering...

Yes.

Repetedly.

I am a member of the 501st as well, the NC garrison. If he were a member here he would catch hell from me every time he showed his face and I was around. And the CO's butt would sting.

Originally posted by DrStranglove@Jan 11 2006, 07:02 PM
Yes.

Repetedly.
[snapback]1156544[/snapback]​

That's news to me. I have dealt with anything brought to my attention with the limited powers available to me.

I am aware of the Chicago situation and I have been involved with getting that taken care of. While I know this will be met with groans, there have been recent extenuating circumstances that have allowed for some leeway. But that leeway is limited and those limits have been agreed upon by the 501st council and communicated to Glover. I am informed that should be wrapped up within the agree upon time. However, I have not heard about any Indy deal, so I can't comment on that.

Scott

Skaught, I appreciate your help regarding my matter concerning Glover. It was a crappy thing he did no matter how you slice it.

BTW, I also sent information to the 501st council that was sent to me regarding other people who were still owed by Glover. IIRC they are still owed. Apparently that wasnt enough to get him kicked out. In the words of some higher up 501st members "We dont like kicking people out". :unsure

So, it appears an expulsion wont happen in the 501st, unless perhaps you commit some nefarious capital crime. They clearly sent a message that recasting and stealing people's money, even when damning evidence is presented, is par for the course and is not really punishable in the eyes of the 501st. :rolleyes Go figure.

I'm not part of the 501st, I don't stand on either side of the glover debates, but I will tell you I think it's unfair that anything shipped to a florida member is already expected to be recasted by someone.

I don't care if people in general "make lump judgements"; last I checked the 501st was not that kind of group, and it's members should not be standing along with that belief. I'm 16, and I've already decided against trying to join when I'm old enough. I've seen nothing but accusation against individuals and entire states.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back