Recasting question

As far as what's allowable on the RPF:

Acceptable:
- Creating your own item from scratch.
- Molding/casting an item from a defunct company (as long as the original artist is not part of the community).
- Molding/casting a production made piece (as long as the original artist is not part of the community).

Not acceptable:
- Using any parts/pieces of another member's original work without permission.
- Using cast from a production made piece that another member has sold (i.e. Member A makes copies of a production made helmet, member B buys a copy and molds/cast it, with or without modification).

That's just the guidelines for what you can do on here, has nothing to do with actual legal ramifications. Some may disagree with the second bullet point on what is acceptable, but it's been done and is still going on.

So, as far as your question on molding/casting the idol bank, if I remember correctly, they were made by Diamond Select, which is still in business even though they no longer produce the bank. With that in mind, molding/casting the bank would be recasting to me. As far as doing it for personal use, your call, but I don't see how it would be cost effective with others offering original sculpts in raw cast form cheaper than you can do a mold.

- Molding/casting a production made piece (as long as the original artist is not part of the community).

This sounds morally unacceptable to me. so If I go else were and buy something that someone Is making. and he or she Is not a member here. acceptable. not in my eye's.

This sounds morally unacceptable to me. so If I go else were and buy something that someone Is making. and he or she Is not a member here. acceptable. not in my eye's.

Production made meaning an original prop from a production. Not a run someone did elsewhere.

I think Diamond Select is still making the idol banks.

I went to their website and it seems there's a new sculpt of the idol bank. In the website pic, the idol has "pupils" indented in the eyes. The headband seems to be missing now as well. There also seems to be nipples now. My idol bank doesn't look like this. Still not as accurate because of the feet, but it's closer now to some of the stunt idols.

0000998_300.jpeg

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/indiana-jones--banks--indiana-jones-golden-idol-replica-bank

* addendum *

It does say they're out of stock. But who knows? Maybe they are offering a newer sculpt.

if you don't have ANY respect for "other board's" members to take there work and recast it, and present it here, then you DONT have any respect for the members of the R.P.F. because your doing exactly what members of this board are trying to stop! you are recasting! doesn't matter if its a third world country and the guy/gal/child was paid a bowl of rice for his work. BECAUSE HE IS NOT AN RPF MEMBER ITS EXCEPTABLE?? you recast it and make a dollar your a despicable person. but, again, that's just me. and once again :cheers:cheers

hypothetical. artist creates a prop for a low budget move. turns into cult following status. said prop changes hands. artist doesn't want reproductions made of said prop but has no control over the prop. artist has no desire to belong to a prop community. we throw It Into to silicone and mas produce and say that it's cool?

Production made, there is a section for them: http://www.therpf.com/production-made-costumes-and-props/
That should help clarify what production made means.

What if the piece is no longer made?

If it is a members original work, you can't use it, whether they still offer it or not.
if you don't have ANY respect for "other board's" members to take there work and recast it, and present it here, then you DONT have any respect for the members of the R.P.F. because your doing exactly what members of this board are trying to stop! you are recasting! doesn't matter if its a third world country and the guy/gal/child was paid a bowl of rice for his work. BECAUSE HE IS NOT AN RPF MEMBER ITS EXCEPTABLE?? you recast it and make a dollar your a despicable person. but, again, that's just me. and once again :cheers:cheers

I don't know what you're talking about or referring to here.

hypothetical. artist creates a prop for a low budget move. turns into cult following status. said prop changes hands. artist doesn't want reproductions made of said prop but has no control over the prop. artist has no desire to belong to a prop community. we throw It Into to silicone and mas produce and say that it's cool?

For it to be known that he doesn't want reproductions made, he would obviously be part of the community, so that's covered by the part in parentheses:

Did the artist own the prop before it changed hands, or did the movie studio own the prop? In other words, who was the seller? If the studio sold the prop, it is fair game to be thrown in rubber. If the artist sold the prop along with explicit instructions that it should not be recast, of course that would be wrong.

Making a mold of the ORIGINAL prop would be acceptable. The actual prop used in the movie or TV show.

Isnt that still making a cast off of someone else's work?

Original? Bank? whats the difference? (In your opinion of course.... that makes one acceptable over the other?)

The thing people get hung up on when it comes to production pieces, they aren't mass produced. Typically there is only one. By molding and casting, you aren't taking money away from another maker.

Isnt that still making a cast off of someone else's work?

Original? Bank? whats the difference? (In your opinion of course.... that makes one acceptable over the other?)

Others might disagree, but I would divide it on "owning legal rights" and "not owning LEGAL rights".

The guy recently that made the "Harry Potter potions making book" He doesn't own the LEGAL rights, therefore he was ordered to remove all
traces of Harry Potter from the work by the one that DOES own the legal rights.

But we give him "Honorary" rights so that no one can copy his book. These honorary rights are given to any replica maker in the place of legal rights.

If some Entity owns the Actual Legal rights, they can pursue legal action against you. The protection we're talking about is given to the makers that
can Not defend themselves legally.

Ultimately we're trying to define something that is a gray area.

I agree its a grey area as well...

I was just curious as to what facts/aspects make you side on one vs another.

I guess personally, I'm more on the side of just dont use other peoples work/stuff that isnt public domain. If it in public domain and can be freely used/shared in all aspects of your project/builds.. have at it.

I'm not talking about who owns what as far as IP.. or legal rights..etc...

I mean I havent made any movies or written scripts that invented any of the sci-fi props in all the movies from my childhood to today that I enjoy so much... but thats not going to stop me, nor do I feel it should be a problem, if I wanted to re-create a replica prop myself. As long as I put in the work myself and dont steal anyones work as a stepping stone....etc

*exceptions to the rule that I can think of:

* If you BUY/OWN an original prop (free and clear) and you want to do some casts of it.. (but call it what they are.. casts from the original prop..not original 'work' so to speak)
* If some company has paid for legal 'rights' to some owning IP entity to make XYZ product.. (not that I think anyone would have done anything wrong if making their own).. but would probably get a C&D letter or something (is this part of the honorary rights stuff? about owning legal rights?)

If you want to not be a recaster/cheater, make your own, sculpt, model, print...whatever,.. your own stuff.

as far as local to the scene/forum(s)...etc..
I think mutal respect and a rule , by way of Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure ("Be excellent to each other").. haha.. is how it should be.

Why be a Brian Williams of the prop scene? And use others people work? (To be seen as 'cool' to people who dont know you? or what you did?.. the money most likely?)

I know I haven't been about for a while, so apologies for this being my first post in months, but I had to throw in my 2 cents on this.

If you were to modify the original piece as a one off for your own personal use, not one person could complain about that. However, if you're planning on selling duplicates then:

A. You would have to explain exactly where the piece originated from and what you did to modify it and

B. Not make any profit from it

Anything else and you are profiting from somebody else's work

I was just curious as to what facts/aspects make you side on one vs another.

I guess personally, I'm more on the side of just dont use other peoples work/stuff that isnt public domain. If it in public domain and can be freely used/shared in all aspects of your project/builds.. have at it.

Ah. Don't use anything but your own work. That would be ideal.

But, as stated earlier, it is just as illegal to make it from scratch as to actually Recast an original prop.

If there is no difference, then it comes down to what the community feels is acceptable.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back