Recasting in 2020 opinions and an old angry man shouting at clouds....

paulsboutique

Sr Member
Ive been on this site off and on for a long time, used to lurk and watch the wonder, lost my original details, got married, got divorced, kids .... but finally managed to resign up a couple of years ago when life settled .... anyhow one thing i remember was "recasting". Recasting has always been a big thing with this community and always frowned upon. But with the arrival of 3d printers and greater access to CAD, the original sculpt method has largely given way to 3d design. With that im finding more and more people seem to be ripping off files from the internet, making little to no changes and then passing it off as thier own file, either by reselling or printing a kit and selling that. This to me is nothing more than what an old school recaster does, yet there seems to be very little fuss made about it. Am I missing something ? A good example would be the Facebook RPF page where blatent examples are rife, yet everyday these recasters get wind blown up thier arses instead of being made examples of... am i just sweating the small stuff or is it something that should be taken more seriously ......

What you’re referring to has become known as digital recasting, and yes, it’s rampant...

Much like when a craftsman sells a piece they’ve made, they accept the possibility it could be recast, when someone puts a 3D model out there, they are taking the same risk.

I wish it weren’t the case, but that’s the world we live in...

Sean

Little fuss?

I dont agree with that. I see people complaining and pointing out 'recasters' (thieves) all the time about this.

I dont think people have 'settled' and are ok with any of this.

The butt-kissers are the ones who:

a.) dont know
b.) dont understand
c.) dont care

Mostly never people of this community or other communities.. and never the original makers (unless released for public use)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back