Recast Iron Man Helmet Makeover (could use any and all help/advice)

Prince NEO

Sr Member
So I got this recast of Finhead's 3 piece Mark III Iron man helmet. Here's what I need to fix up before I can start trying to paint it.

I WANT TO BE 100% CLEAR THAT THIS HELMET WAS NOT MADE USING FINHEAD's MOLDS IT IS A RECAST THAT I RECEVED, THAT MEANS SOMEONE TOOK ONE OF HIS HELMETS AND MADE THEIR OWN MOLD OFF IT

550877_293163620773162_100002385801765_619179_1542080325_n.jpg

Now then, the first and most important thing I need to fix is that the bridge between the eyes isn't really there it's got a huge hole in it.

545764_293163740773150_100002385801765_619181_257689597_n.jpg

Second is that the top of the faceplate doesn't rest flat on either side of the center and that will be obvious once painted.

542014_293163664106491_100002385801765_619180_2065940837_n.jpg

560024_293163800773144_100002385801765_619182_294126427_a.jpg

As it turns out these Tabs had to be removed to help the back of the head sit in place properly and I'm still working on making this fit in place.

Left side:

542169_293163997439791_100002385801765_619184_2109041239_n.jpg

Right side:

535171_293163927439798_100002385801765_619183_444367402_n.jpg

Now my problem is that as far as cleaning up casts, I'm not very experienced and I really can't afford to screw this helmet up, cause I wont be getting another one. :behave So any and all advice and help is welcome while I continue to look around for ideas and come out with ideas for tackling the hinges and magnets.

Last edited:
Re: Finhead Iron Man Helmet (could use any and all help/advice)

SO I take it you got your helmet then? Maybe mine is waiting for me at home?

The bridge between the eyes isn't supposed to be there as far as I know, so you don't have to worry about that (unless it bothers you).

For the faceplate to sit flush, you might be able to heat and reshape it gently.

And for the missing tab, you could do any number of things. Styrene, bondo, etc

SO I take it you got your helmet then? Maybe mine is waiting for me at home?
No to help take the pressure off of J0wE cause I was very rough the guy who got me the casting spot chose to send me his instead and just get the other cast from J0wE. :rolleyes

Keep on him, cause NOW he doesn't owe me anything. Though he took me off the list and he didn't add the guy who sent me his helmet that he now owes.

The bridge between the eyes isn't supposed to be there as far as I know, so you don't have to worry about that (unless it bothers you).

For the faceplate to sit flush, you might be able to heat and reshape it gently.

And for the missing tab, you could do any number of things. Styrene, bondo, etc

The faceplate is sitting flush except for the two spots in the pictures, too much of the excess was sanded off, as for the holes in the bridge of the nose I was looking into it more and they are just there cause the back of them was sanded away, I should be able to slap a thin coat of something there to fix it, but did the screen used suit not have something there? I didn't think that the gap was just open.

Last edited:

Wow still a waiting game then, thanks for the info

An easy way to seal that gap in the face plate would be to use apoxi sculpt or even loctite putty, as for the face plate sitting flush you can also use the putty or clay to add material or sand the other side so it sits flush and level

Not that I need to, but I'll defend myself; Rdmaul your helmet goes out tomorrow and I will have a tracking number for you by noon here. I didn't put the persons name on my list because he told me not to. Done.

Neo could you please take a couple of better pics of the helmet and post them?

pm incoming.

Not that I need to, but I'll defend myself; Rdmaul your helmet goes out tomorrow and I will have a tracking number for you by noon here. I didn't put the persons name on my list because he told me not to. Done.

pm incoming.

Ah okay, I wasn't accusing you or anything, I figured his name wasn't up there cause you had some kind of agreement with him. I'll get out the good camera instead of the Iphone and have brand new high-def pictures for everyone in a few minutes.

The fact that you went out of your way to pm the guy who got me the spot in your trade run to try and work something out actually reassures me quite a bit about you, your intents, and your general look at all of this. I trust Rdmaul and everyone else will get their helmets ASAP

pm incoming.

I was not making a stab at you J0we at all, after seeing what Neo said I was even more assured my helmet was coming. I am sorry you took it that way but I was didnt know the details of the deal and got excited when I saw he got his helmet

you'll be really excited on wednesday then...

/\
Haha, awesome J0wE, just awesome. :thumbsup

Here are the high-def pictures:

P5170278.jpg

P5170279.jpg

P5170280.jpg

P5170281.jpg

P5170282.jpg

P5170283.jpg

P5170284.jpg

P5170285.jpg

P5170286.jpg

P5170287.jpg

P5170288.jpg

P5170289.jpg

P5170290.jpg

P5170291.jpg

P5170294.jpg

P5170295.jpg

The back of the helmet has to be trimmed even more because it doesn't line up in the slightest yet.
P5170292.jpg

P5170293.jpg

That doesn't look like one I cast, maybe one of Fin's B casts?

I dunno I don't think it's one of yours. I think Finhead did all of his in white and grey.

Absolutely not one of my casts, I would have thrown that in the garbage if it came out of my mold which it didn't. You can see where the mold seam is, not in the right place for my mold, never seen a surface finish like that out of any of my molds ever.

Woot that's my second recast now :D I guess I'll have to bare with it and bring it up to snuff.

Could you change tht title of the thread to reflect that please I would rather not have my name attached to something like this.

just to get this straight: you got a RECAST from some guy, who therefor took your spot in Jowe's run, and the guy doesnt want to show up in the list, or be named? and also he is now receiving one of jowes casts instead?

if i got this right, something is mighty fishy about this guy.

i personally can tell you Jowe is a really nice and straight forward guy, tho :) (as is finhead of course)

No he's not taking one of J0wE's cast he told him not to bother with it he got this helmet in a trade with someone and he offered it to me.

Easy to follow explanation: Traded a guy something, he had just gotten this helmet, offered it to me, then he got the spot on J0wE's run from the PIF so he offered me that spot instead if I wanted a fresh band new cast and I said sure, J0wE's but ultra busy, he offered to just sent me the one he originally got and told J0wE not to worry about him and here we are.

There is nothing fishy about this member, he is very well respected in the community.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back