Recast Iron Man Helmet Makeover (could use any and all help/advice)

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Prince NEO, May 17, 2012.

1. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

So I got this recast of Finhead's 3 piece Mark III Iron man helmet. Here's what I need to fix up before I can start trying to paint it.

I WANT TO BE 100% CLEAR THAT THIS HELMET WAS NOT MADE USING FINHEAD's MOLDS IT IS A RECAST THAT I RECEVED, THAT MEANS SOMEONE TOOK ONE OF HIS HELMETS AND MADE THEIR OWN MOLD OFF IT

[​IMG]

Now then, the first and most important thing I need to fix is that the bridge between the eyes isn't really there it's got a huge hole in it.

[​IMG]

Second is that the top of the faceplate doesn't rest flat on either side of the center and that will be obvious once painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As it turns out these Tabs had to be removed to help the back of the head sit in place properly and I'm still working on making this fit in place.

Left side:

[​IMG]

Right side:

[​IMG]

Now my problem is that as far as cleaning up casts, I'm not very experienced and I really can't afford to screw this helmet up, cause I wont be getting another one. :behave So any and all advice and help is welcome while I continue to look around for ideas and come out with ideas for tackling the hinges and magnets.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

Re: Finhead Iron Man Helmet (could use any and all help/advice)

SO I take it you got your helmet then? Maybe mine is waiting for me at home?

3. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The bridge between the eyes isn't supposed to be there as far as I know, so you don't have to worry about that (unless it bothers you).

For the faceplate to sit flush, you might be able to heat and reshape it gently.

And for the missing tab, you could do any number of things. Styrene, bondo, etc

4. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

No to help take the pressure off of J0wE cause I was very rough the guy who got me the casting spot chose to send me his instead and just get the other cast from J0wE. :rolleyes

Keep on him, cause NOW he doesn't owe me anything. Though he took me off the list and he didn't add the guy who sent me his helmet that he now owes.

The faceplate is sitting flush except for the two spots in the pictures, too much of the excess was sanded off, as for the holes in the bridge of the nose I was looking into it more and they are just there cause the back of them was sanded away, I should be able to slap a thin coat of something there to fix it, but did the screen used suit not have something there? I didn't think that the gap was just open.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  5. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

Wow still a waiting game then, thanks for the info

6. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Yea sorry man, I wish I had better news for you. :unsure Hopefully yours is coming soon too.

7. Hyperballistik

Hyperballistik Member

An easy way to seal that gap in the face plate would be to use apoxi sculpt or even loctite putty, as for the face plate sitting flush you can also use the putty or clay to add material or sand the other side so it sits flush and level

8. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

Not that I need to, but I'll defend myself; Rdmaul your helmet goes out tomorrow and I will have a tracking number for you by noon here. I didn't put the persons name on my list because he told me not to. Done.

Neo could you please take a couple of better pics of the helmet and post them?

pm incoming.

9. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Ah okay, I wasn't accusing you or anything, I figured his name wasn't up there cause you had some kind of agreement with him. I'll get out the good camera instead of the Iphone and have brand new high-def pictures for everyone in a few minutes.

The fact that you went out of your way to pm the guy who got me the spot in your trade run to try and work something out actually reassures me quite a bit about you, your intents, and your general look at all of this. I trust Rdmaul and everyone else will get their helmets ASAP

10. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

I was not making a stab at you J0we at all, after seeing what Neo said I was even more assured my helmet was coming. I am sorry you took it that way but I was didnt know the details of the deal and got excited when I saw he got his helmet

11. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

you'll be really excited on wednesday then...

12. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

/\
    Haha, awesome J0wE, just awesome. :thumbsup

Here are the high-def pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The back of the helmet has to be trimmed even more because it doesn't line up in the slightest yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

That doesn't look like one I cast, maybe one of Fin's B casts?

14. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

I dunno I don't think it's one of yours. I think Finhead did all of his in white and grey.

15. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Absolutely not one of my casts, I would have thrown that in the garbage if it came out of my mold which it didn't. You can see where the mold seam is, not in the right place for my mold, never seen a surface finish like that out of any of my molds ever.

16. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Woot that's my second recast now :D I guess I'll have to bare with it and bring it up to snuff.

17. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Could you change tht title of the thread to reflect that please I would rather not have my name attached to something like this.

18. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Certainly sorry about that.

19. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

just to get this straight: you got a RECAST from some guy, who therefor took your spot in Jowe's run, and the guy doesnt want to show up in the list, or be named? and also he is now receiving one of jowes casts instead?

if i got this right, something is mighty fishy about this guy.

i personally can tell you Jowe is a really nice and straight forward guy, tho :) (as is finhead of course)

20. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

No he's not taking one of J0wE's cast he told him not to bother with it he got this helmet in a trade with someone and he offered it to me.

Easy to follow explanation: Traded a guy something, he had just gotten this helmet, offered it to me, then he got the spot on J0wE's run from the PIF so he offered me that spot instead if I wanted a fresh band new cast and I said sure, J0wE's but ultra busy, he offered to just sent me the one he originally got and told J0wE not to worry about him and here we are.

There is nothing fishy about this member, he is very well respected in the community.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  21. EyeofSauron

ok, but you still got a recast from a member here in a trade, if i understand correctly.
    dont get me wrong, its your personal business, so i have no stakes in this :D but if i would get a recast from a member here, i would at least contact a mod about it, and they will look into it. its not that i would mistrust said member per se, but either he got the recast via a trade from someone, so he could call that someone out as the recaster, or alternatively he did the recast himself, and just say he got it via a trade.

or maybe im just paranoid :D

im just trying to help ;)

/edit: well you edited while i was posting so i just read it afterwards :D

22. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Yea I see what you are saying and honestly, I cause enough trouble here as it is, I'd rather bite my tongue and just play the cards I got dealt, it's the 3rd time I've gotten a recast, I should look into stuff more. It's all part of learning and my motto is: Thank goodness I am young and can adjust.

And yea I had to go back and clarify cause I had been on my phone when I replied.

23. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

I'll just send you one as soon as I can Prince. Perfect your body working and painting skills on this one. Call it your practice helm, then you'll be ready for the other one.

24. EyeofSauron

i told ya he is a good guy :D congrats!

25. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

R-Really?! :eek I literally can't think of the words to type.

26. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

Yeah, you just have to be a lil patient.

27. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

That's awesome of j0we for sure. I'd still tell the mods who it was who gave you the recast.

28. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

That's fine.... Just.... Thank you...

29. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

The finish on the resin of this helmet looks nothing like any of cast off his molds, this one has rough area's smooth areas, and areas that are a mixture of the two, it also has spots where it has this very smooth and shiny look to it, it looks kinda like if you put krazy glue on your nail you know? I don't think Finhead would have allowed a casting like this to go out on his watch, and J0wE knows he did not make it. I'd prefer to avoid an argument about this though, I've had a negative enough past week on here and a negative enough time irl and the majority of this thread has been very negative and just left me feeling terrible and put a bad taste in my mouth.

Another thing I've noticed is that the helmet needed way too much inside sanding way to far down, I've never seen a helmet of his sanded to this extent and I've never seen the face plate fit so poorly.

30. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can attest to Finheads work. I got one of his helmets in a trade from him and he apologized about the quality before I got it stating it was a little rough and needed cleanup. When I got it, it was THE cleanest work I had ever seen. The casting was clean, the seams fit together and the surface was flawless.

I would buy a Finhead casting ANYTIME!

31. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

So I've been working on trimming down the back of the helmet so it will fit in and I'm not really having much luck, I may try to get a video up if I trim to the point that the lip is almost gone and It still won't fit. It turns out that the tabs i wanted to keep that go behind the cheek were part of the problem, they were poking into the cheek, I have to trim them down a bit.

32. Mockle

Mockle Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I too have Fin's work and its beyond great work.. :) BR just being a jerk. Neo good to see Jowe hooking you up.. beside s thank you you need to give a great big wet kiss...:lol. and using it for practice is good idea.. .. :thumbsup or for those less forchant... show good faith for a start up project.. just saying

33. nachtinis

nachtinis Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Try just sanding on both peices on the inside of the top one and then the outside of the "lip" on the bottom. Go little by little.

What you might just want to do is completely cut off the lip and line up the peices, then tape the whole thing together with masking tape. Go on the inside of the helm and make a new lip edge from a small amount of filler/resin, or even just glue a short edge lip on the bottom part in a peice of plastic.

If you work filler or resin into making a new lip be sure to use a release agent on the other side.

As for what Bowelmovement said, my sarcasm detector went off.

34. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Thanks Mockle and you are correct, I owe him lots of them :lol

Thanks, my thoughts were to sand down the inside oh the helmet and if that still didn't work, cut off the lip and attach something a little more flexible, maybe some thick plastic.

35. EyeofSauron

you could try cutting off the lip, and then fitting the neck piece in with tape. then you can use something like maybe sintra for a new lip

or alternatively just dont use a lip, and build in the magnets directly in the neck part

36. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

The only reason I wanted a lip was so it would be hard to make out the seam line.

37. nachtinis

I dont know what you mean

38. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Like where the separate piece meets the helmet itself, I don't want it to have a big gap or anything.

39. nachtinis

Oh I see what you mean about that.

The lip will help conceal a "gap" persay but there is a designed line there anyway, the only way you will be abl eto get it to line up perfectyl would be to remove the current lip and rebuild your own lip on the inside.

Pics would help here, so you can show us this potential gap

40. ultron

ultron Active Member

Have you tried to use a heat gun to reshape the rear piece? Sometimes it's just extra resin that is the problem, but sometimes the pieces can warp a little and make it seem as though they won't fit without heavy sanding when they really will. I had to do this with my helmet.

41. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

I dont have a heat gun, but I have to try this anyway because the right temple is a little warped and it's preventing the helmet from lining up correctly.

42. EyeofSauron

if you have a high heat blowdryer, it could work too. just try it

43. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

You will need a high temp heat gun if it is onyx resin, not 100% sure that is what it is but if it is takes approx 2.2X the heat to form than reg resin.

44. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Alright thanks Finhead and EoS I was going to try my hair dryer since I've burnt my head with it and if that didnt work they sell heat guns at harbour freight for under $20.

45. ultron

ultron Active Member

I used an industrial heat gun (goes over 700F). I'm not sure a hair dryer is going to cut it, but it's certainly worth a shot.

I made many quick passes from a good distance to protect the resin, so you might be able to go a little more aggressively.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  46. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

My idea was to keep it close on the inside while pushing the piece in place.