Rebels Agent Kallus ABS scratch build

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Frakfest, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

uploadfromtaptalk1442376252640.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442376291645.jpg I built this from scratch, started with a WW2 Marine helmet, made a pull off of it, modified the front, added a skirt and a flange, formed the ear comms.
    I will add more build pics when my PC accepts the password reset...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Yay it worked :) passwords a necessary evil!!
    I really like the Agent Kallus Character from Star Wars Rebels, and I've seen some great work so far, but I wanted a helmet for myself, like I said above I started with the Marine helmet pulled some styrene on it, but the marine helmet isn't exactly a perfect dome, it's a little steeped so I had to adjust the front.I then added a styrene skirt, and because I wanted this to be a forming buc, I also closed off the front of the bucket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my first pull in styrene...
    [​IMG]

first prototype pull in ABS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Here is what it came down to :) this is the finished helmet. minus the ear coms and outer shield.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    prototype shields..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wedge86 and tubachris85x like this.
  4. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good! I was looking at your progress over on the IOC detachment forums. The one thing I noticed detail wise is the triangles on the front shouldn't have that indent on that side wall.

[​IMG]

I was going to ask though if you were looking to offer these up in the future? I know my friend REALLY needs a much smaller helmet....

5. Blue Leader

Blue Leader Well-Known Member

That's looking awesome. Nice job!

Frakfest likes this.
  6. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Chris, thanks!! I see what you mean about the triangles.. Easy fix there, yes I do plan on offering these and Currently working on bucs for the chest armor , back armor, and leg armor.
    The way the helmet is assembled it can be adjusted somewhat by sliding the face guard in and up. So small head big head...it works..within reason..
    *** will be large on a child**
    I really do appreciate the feedback, and hope to have these kits available by next week.

tubachris85x likes this.
  7. tubachris85x

Good to hear. I'm thinking about making molds off of my stuff I made for my friend, but the scale is pretty small. I mean, it's technically scaled to someone 6' tall, but for skinny people lol

Any pics of your chest/back by chance?

8. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Chest is still pretty rough I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

tubachris85x likes this.
  9. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

Beast up!
    This is fantastic.
    Cant wait to show my nephew this.
    Please share more when available.

Frakfest likes this.
  10. mac3kuby

mac3kuby Active Member

this is looking very nice. keep up the great work.

Frakfest likes this.
  11. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

First time working with plaster....it takes sooo long to dry..slow slow progress... uploadfromtaptalk1442430887813.jpg
    Had permission to use this tie pilot back armor as a base, needs to be modified, the shoulder straps need widened and thickened, and of course that sexy bo rifle rack. I may extend the bottom and the sides as well. uploadfromtaptalk1442431099205.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442431117704.jpg

12. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

uploadfromtaptalk1442454685417.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442454701588.jpg rondo back plate..

tubachris85x likes this.
  13. tubachris85x

Nice start!

14. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

got some accomplished on the chest plate..all done but the fine tuning :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    prototype pull black styrene, minor stuff to touch up but pretty happy with the results of today's labor.

tubachris85x likes this.
  15. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Hoping to have this all tied up tomorrow...
    back armor V2...V1 was meh...
    [​IMG]

this is V2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tubachris85x likes this.
  16. Tr97666

Tr97666 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. That helmet looks incredible. Great work man

Frakfest likes this.
  17. Mollins

Mollins Active Member

Looking absolutely great, can't wait for some more progress!

Frakfest likes this.
  18. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Thanks guys, been a hectic weekend so I just goofed around a bit..
    took some of my bad pulls to play with color, fit , straps, rank bar (kinda stalled on rank bar) and back plate design .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these are, again just demo pulls the back plate had some webbing at the top...going to install some vac vent holes to try and keep the plastic under control..
    the rank bar is kind of tricky , had lots of help on it as far as should it be the same as other officers or should it be scaled to fit this armor, general consensus..scale to match THIS character.
    also Chris gave me a great Idea to include the rank bar in the buck less parts to assemble, and magnetic rank change out ..easy peasy :)

Mollins and tubachris85x like this.
  19. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ok ok . . . this is just friggin AWESOME! Love it man, this looks great. Fantastic job!

Frakfest likes this.
  20. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

rank bar added to buck, first ABS pull, quick sand and prime and put nickel krylon on the bar...not sure if I like it or not. .maybe when I paint the charcoal I'll mask the rank bar edges a little tighter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mollins likes this.
  21. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Some progress today :)
    Rank bar dimensioned, awaiting clear 1/8 inch thick lexan. for the clear square between the blue and red. I did some quick research , cannot find any info on clear, grey or white color squares regarding rank) it appears clear to me.
    [​IMG]
    Also paying homage to KWD and working with his Imperial Combat Driver, (A.K.A. Taxi Driver **Wally**) I used the same design he did in fabricating a belt buckle that covers a standard Tandy Blank belt buckle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And again thanks Kevin for the design idea, I made some boot covers, close to those designed on the "combat Driver" but slightly thinner. not sure if I should continue with this or wait to see if the approve a boot. but I made a quick mold to see..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    it is feasible, and looks ok with TK boots, maybe a more accurate shoe/boot choice ...I will look into it.
    I guess, it's time to order a rifle , a cosplay sky uniform,, a strawberry blonde wig and some just for men for the beard :)
    [​IMG]

22. tubachris85x

It's suppose to match the same color as the rest of the rank bar. I haven't found evidence to suggest that it's suppose to be clear. Looking great man!

Frakfest likes this.
  23. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Thanks Chris. I've seen it the same, white, and clear...I tried to find info on imperial rank, and this guy, fits no category... Closest to Marine captain..

24. tubachris85x

Yea and season 2 is going to be it's own rank. I'm not sure that filoni or the designers are following any pattern. Perhaps the ISP have their own rank structure that's not really established.

That's my take on it. Even then, I haven't seen any other rank in the series that was clearly suppose to be translucent/clear in nature.

25. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

I noticed, he either got promoted/demoted ( two yellow ) I did see sector security rank in my search....it is yellow-ish...but not sure how official that is.
    Either way, I'm going to stick with your magnetic rank bar idea and maybe talk to tigg, to see if he can do a custom rank.

26. tubachris85x

Crap, he asked me to get dimensions of the rank awhile back on facebook....

27. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Just sent him some :) they are a bit different from normal...hope he can do it:)

28. tubachris85x

Are you looking to have him make movie-style rank? He did a set that way for my buddy I built it for.

29. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Movie style would be..standard rank size correct? I asked for custom scaled size...if he can, and hope if at all possible to have opaque color blocks.

30. tubachris85x

Just for fun? Or do you plan to use it for the armor?

31. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Plan on using it for the armor. Is that a problem? Standard rank too small and was told to "scale" to fit. As well as match the spacing config.

32. tubachris85x

Well, to be honest, it wouldn't be accurate for the style of the armor to use the same tiles. Being animated, it's very basic as such other details are.

[​IMG]

This is assuming you're planning to go for 501st approval, of course. We've still got details on my friend's that we're redoing for accuracy among the issues he was denied for, so it's a learning process. I figure that the legion has approved animated clones, we've gotta follow down that same path of costume design, hence, not combining "movie"/real world" with the animated. My friend did get a "movie" style rank bar from tigg but we agreed that for costuming purposes and accuracy, it wouldn't work for an animated character

Please take this as constructive criticism though. My build is by no means perfect, there are flaws.

33. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

As Ian the detachment leader of ACD loved to remind me on the Imperial combat Driver and the ITT (lucky to work through these two costumes)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...Ian ALWAYS took joy in reminding me..."with animated characters THERE IS NO SPOON NEO" meaning if you have a screen grab to support your build.. and it looks like the character it's right.
    The spacing on this character's rank bar is not standard, maybe because he's not a standard rank character... no rank implied.
    what I've found in my reference is...the rank color tabs are 1/8" apart between them and on the ends it appears to be 3/16" off from the regular rank layout. as well as the opaque appearance and, a clear block in the middle season one.
    I understand you are helping your friend through, and I can't wait to see him approved, I think you guys Nailed it!! he really looks good :) I believe it will be a while before a CRL is finished, as the show goes on it will be tweaked I'm sure as with the "Combat Drivers".
    No way do I take offense to any feed back...you've been a great sounding board, and have given me some awesome ideas...thank you.

34. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

upon further review...took some screenies tonight, yes sir it is grey :) right on the money. In my defense I have seen other colors...clear for sure and white I also compared the rank spacing to an admiral in the episode I watched ..and his rank bar does appear to comply with the standard...Kallus's does not ... size or spacing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh and look at this cool pistol :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

36. tubachris85x

Looks really good man!!!

Frakfest likes this.
  37. Mollins

Mollins Active Member

Looks fantastic!

Frakfest likes this.
  38. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Thanks guys :)

39. Mollins

Mollins Active Member

You'll need to let us know if you do a run on those helmets, I'm very interested!

40. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Pulling one today for a trade, I have zero purchases:(

41. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Yes!! First couple on there way out :)

Mollins likes this.
  42. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Update, I was playing around with the concept drawings, the bucket had a dark green visor in one pic...so I threw a safety visor in..looks neat ;) it.. uploadfromtaptalk1445265940299.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1445265955146.jpg

43. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

update:
    boots just about finished.
    [​IMG]
    waiting for the ABS belt buckle to dry, painted krylon nickel. got a leather belt and installed a Tandy blank belt buckle with a single rivet.
    [​IMG]
    the rank on the collar is wrong side, upside down and missing colors, but it is a template for the heat transfer vinyl. notice both seasons ranks( if you look at it upside down lol )
    [​IMG]
    Picked up some leather gauntlet gloves, need to add the gauntlet stiffener (EVA foam inside) and grey strap on the gauntlet it self.
    [​IMG]
    After Halloween, I will take the tunic to the tailor to have the tunic taken in, it came with a ton of material in the back :(, and have the collar stiffened, and not super happy with how the grey attaches across the shoulders on the open side has a tendency to bunch up, I'd like it to lay flat.
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DeviousTinker?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Mollins likes this.
  44. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

stopped by a local comic book store today, for free comic book day ..picked up Kanan 5-6 that whole "know your enemy" thing :)
    [​IMG]

45. Frakfest

Frakfest Member

Think I'm in the ball park, and ready to try for 501st approval. uploadfromtaptalk1448594991891.jpeg uploadfromtaptalk1448595014705.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Mollins likes this.
  46. Mollins

Mollins Active Member

Looks fantastic dude!

Frakfest likes this.
  47. Frakfest