Rebel Trooper Helmet

TatooineMachine

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I picked this up off Etsy and it's a really nice kit. Came with a heavy duty helmet liner, com box, antenna, and all the vacuum formed pieces. Thought this would be an easy, quick, and fun build!

As it came out of the box -

IMG_9972_zpsiohgqsde.jpg

Even had directions...

IMG_9973_zpscoypybfo.jpg

Star Wars Costumes Book for accuracy

IMG_9982_zpsdxigirjg.jpg

Trimmed and sanded the edges

IMG_9974_zpsebl91u82.jpg

Made sure the black overlapped the white front

IMG_9975_zpspucmfqjh.jpg

Cleaned up the chin cup

IMG_9976_zps2lt96nmn.jpg

Com box

IMG_9977_zps6jducxzd.jpg

Helmet liner

IMG_9978_zpsbuizbnqq.jpg

Masked off the insides for paint

IMG_9981_zpsxcghd6qe.jpg

It's raining here and I decided to wait a bit for it to warm up here in California to shoot primer, LOL! Hope to have this done by Monday or Tuesday!

Looks nice! I remember seeing something a while back saying the original "visor" material was a smoked grey see-thtough plastic.

Yes, looks like a good kit. I found that Montana Gold brand "Marble" white is just about the exact 'not quite pure white' color to match the ANH versions. Not necessarily that it is the best actual paint to use texture/finish-wise, but the color looks like a near-perfect match to my SDS copy...

Dan

I've purchased two kits from the same guy. I had a lot of fun building them. I believe costuming requirements say that you need to have the visor smoke or opaque, but since mine won't be used for trooping and sitting on a shelf, I just painted mine gloss black. It looks fine.

TazMan2000

Looks nice! I remember seeing something a while back saying the original "visor" material was a smoked grey see-thtough plastic.

True, Star Wars Costumes book says this and that the visor was moveable....never seen on screen

I stand corrected, see below! LOL

Last edited:
Hey very cool, thank you for the info. I will put this in motion. I know the com box of this “kit” isn’t accurate, so I will modify it or make a new one. Thanks again Mara Jade’s Father, I really appreciate the info!

Chad

you've been killing it with these build threads! Thanks for posting all the details, etc. Can't wait to see your progress.

Here's some photos of an SDS helmet that Mara Jade's Father provided a link to off of Star Wars Helmets and he's 100% correct on the visor. I have also shaped the rear section a little differently based on these photos. Thanks again MJF!

SDS%20RebFleet02_zpsdcjio2jj.jpg

sds-shepperton-ainsworth-rebel-fleet-2_zpsvbwdefqg.jpg

sds-shepperton-ainsworth-rebel-fleet-1_zpsrb3zulnw.jpg

The disc appears to be a vac formed dishwasher thermostat like on the Snowtrooper Commander and nubs on the com box are easy. Visor and com box need attention!

Last edited:
I had a little time to work on this and made some progress with the pre visor and the cut out the tinted visor and got it all attached.

Pre Visor aligned and centered

IMG_1716_zpsmy0iu6gn.jpg

Rough tinted lean visor piece I received

IMG_1717_zpspaktsbih.jpg

It's pretty thick

IMG_1718_zpskvhmfyap.jpg

Traced out the cuts

IMG_1721_zpsh6gcehxs.jpg

And pre visor and tinted visor attached to the main helmet

57516974088__70C96A74-1CED-4EA3-B46F-A0EFD6C76204_zpswetzfex7.jpg

I broke the rear swoop and ordered another one. I'll make a new com box, add the helmet chin strap, head padding, paint these parts, and wait for my new swoop. Pretty happy with it!

I poured over the opening screen on the Tantive IV with the RFT crew in the hallway scene and can’t see any of the helmets with the SDS visor design - all rounded at the edges. As cool as this looks, not really correct. I made my visor as close as I saw to the screen clips & grabs I reviewed. The Star Wars Costume book only shows a helmet without a visor and a running & slightly blurry running shot of two RFTs running and the visors are as I shaped.

Need to get slotted pan haed screws so they sit flush to the visor as much as possible. Now On to the com box and painting!

HB1098S, the screws on this and the Imperial version have always looked flat-head, countersunk, to me. If that helps at all.

Aaaaaand a personal nit. I refuse -- utterly -- to call these "Rebel Fleet Troopers". Given Leia and Captain Antilles were passing themselves off as an ambassadorial craft from the Imperial Senate, I would think having uniformed Rebel Alliance troops aboard would be the sheer height of stupidity. Moreover because Antilles was wearing one of their helmets while protesting his innocence. I have felt, since I first started thinking about it in the late '80s, that these are the "garrison" (that is, non-formal) uniforms for the Imperial Senate Guards. Thus their being on a Senator's ship as her protection detail makes total sense.

So. That's a very nice Imperial Senate Guard garrison helmet you're working on, there. :D

Imperial Senate Guards. Thats a clever and quite fascinating idea. I will be mulling that over all day today. Makes perfect sense. I never look at these in the same way again.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back