really stupid question about fibreglass tissue and safety because I'm panicking

Sarnelia

Hi,

so I'm currently trying to build an Iron Man Mark III chest piece and so far I've tried avoiding as many health hazards as possible. I use Jesmonite instead of normal resin since it doesn't develop any of the harmful fumes etc. and today I got to the part where I wanted to try and get my fibreglass tissue on the inside of the coated chest piece. Since I only work with the Jesmonite, I just have a normal dust mask and some goggles and gloves. When I cut my fibreglass tissue at first, I was wearing the mask and gloves, not sure about the goggles, but maybe. However, when I then worked with it, I removed them since I found them disturbing and thought it was no longer necessary. I didn't see any warning signs or instructions for precautions on the fibreglass tissue package, so assumed that it would be fine (I'm using this one: click). A bit later I found a need to cut some of the fibreglass tissue pieces a bit smaller and then just did so while I was only wearing the gloves, no mask or goggles. Now I just looked it up a bit and am reading that fibreglass dust is a real hazard and I'm panicking a bit now. How bad is this? My hands have been itching a bit since I did this but now I'm also feeling that a bit on my face and chest, even though I was wearing a jacket that was zipped high up and I was outdoors. Does somebody know how bad this is and if there's something I should or could do now?

Fiberglass will make you itch no matter what. The real risk is if you inhale a large quantity of the dust. In that case you would be going to the hospital. From what I am reading you are having a normal reaction to the fiberglass. Just bathe normally and the irritation should go away in a day or 2. If you start seeing a bad reaction, IE open wounds or the likes then go to the doctor. I hung all the fiberglass insulation in my house when I renovated. I also have done a lot of fiberglass work while working on cars, Let me tell you, mask, gloves, or whatever you are going to itch. After the first day I just made sure to wear safety goggles, gloves and a mask. If I was going to be grinding on the fiberglass and creating fine particles I wore a professional shop mask. For the house insulation I just wore a regular paper mask. Any time I work with fiberglass other than insulation I wear a body shop mask with filters that I change every hour or 2 depending on the level of dust I create.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back