Really Really Cheap Bio

Lflank

This has to be the ultimate in scrounging . . . .

I recently bought a cheap halloween mask online (a demon-type thingie with a moveable jaw) and it came in a blister pack, the kind with the cardboard backing and the clear plastic bubble over top. As I was throwing the blister pack away, I thought something was odd about the plastic front part . . . and then it hit me---> it was a terrific bio shape!

6173508642_5173f5016b.jpg

So I brought out some posterboard and masking tape, added a dome and taped over the eyes:

6173507482_03ff5b5503.jpg

and then coated the whole thing with some white primer so I could see the shape better:

6173508086_48222b2211.jpg

Next step is to smooth it out with joint compound then strengthen it (I used papier mache for the last cardboard mask I made, but I think I'll use Bondo on this one), and then add lasersights and greeblies.

I hope it turns out pretty good for something that cost me . . . well . . . nothing.

This is a massive win, but what are you going to do about the line in your crest?

It won't be there by the time I'm done. By the time I fill in all the divots with joint compound and coat it with bondo, it'll be smooth as a baby's hind end. Except for the dings I add to make it look weathered. :D

nice work on the usage of the plastic!
after bondoing it no one will no the difference.

but now you have to show that mask's mandible operation.
it's not actually a terrible sculpt for a thin plastic mask, give it a new paintjob and cut out the eyes completely and throw in some lens.

one more thing, nice work taping the eyes so you have built in lens already.
but if i may, since you are going to be doing a bit of bondo, you may want to cut the lens, save em, do your bondo work and then install them again later.
this way you dont have to be super careful while bondoing around the eyes.

Some photos of the bio mask:

6199500734_b60c3a8152.jpg

The crown is made of faux leather that is embossed with a pattern to look like animal hide (the pattern doesn't show up well in the photos).

6198984275_84a29717f3.jpg

The lenses aren't finished yet--I'm waiting on some window-tint film.

6198983929_3769de5fe0.jpg

Next step will be to add some dreads.

Too funny.

Yep--who woulda thought you could get a functional bio mask from the garbage can? :)

I didn't really have to do much to it: I just used joint compound and bondo to build up the brow ridge a bit where it meets the dome, and added a tri-laser made from a pill bottle.

I think it's turning out pretty OK for something that consists of some thin plastic and some posterboard. :)

Added dreads to the bio:

6202296574_98611d1082.jpg

6201784265_b1154d027b.jpg

All that remains is to add the window-tint film to darken the lenses.

I like the way it turned out.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back