"Real" Replica Swords

I've seen wall hangers that look just like that, but without the Club or Spade at the Rat Tail tang. I'd guess that United or CAS would have something like that. I'll look into it when I have a minute.

If you found one, it'd be VERY easy to make the pommel, especially if he doesn't need to bang it around. For that you'd need casting and welding gear.

-E

Actualy he figures the cheapest he would be able to get these done for would be $50-$100 each.
I told him they would probibly be on the lower side as they are fairly simple.
So I'm sure he rathers they be both of good quality and cheap as he can get them without affecting the quality.
He is even going to be having a leather ....eh scaberd is it? made for them after he is able to aforde all 4.
Which will probibly cost even more than the swords.

For 50 to 100 dollars, you've got options like Swords Online, BudK, Ebay, and the flea market but they won't be real. They'll be rat-tailed, soft metal alloy, wall hangers.

"In the case of a rat-tail tang, the maker welds a thin rod to the end of the blade at the crossguard; this rod goes through the handle (in 20th-century and later construction). This occurs most commonly in decorative replicas, or cheap sword-like objects. Traditional sword-making does not use this construction method, which does not serve for traditional sword usage as the sword can easily break at the welding point."

From Wikipedia

Nevermind, he said it better.

The soft metal alloy they use for cheap decorative swords can not be used to duel with. It will nick, bend, and break under moderate use. It won't hold much of an edge either.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmilingOtter @ May 12 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]1243293[/snapback]</div>
"In the case of a rat-tail tang, the maker welds a thin rod to the end of the blade at the crossguard; this rod goes through the handle (in 20th-century and later construction). This occurs most commonly in decorative replicas, or cheap sword-like objects. Traditional sword-making does not use this construction method, which does not serve for traditional sword usage as the sword can easily break at the welding point."

From Wikipedia
[/b]

Thank you. Sorry I don't realy know much about swords >< he prolly does though.
I'm not sure weather he would want that or not. I'll be sure to find out soon as he gets online.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back