*Real* Blade Runner 2049 Joi Hologram

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

OmegaShogun

I'm not sure if it quite counts as a "prop" but I spent a lot of time trying to recreate my favorite scene from Blade Runner 2049 in augmented reality using Microsoft Halolens and 3D modeling software. Admittedly the most impressive part of this project is the model itself, which someone else made, but it actually took a while to get it on Halolens. First I converted the native fbx 3D file to glb. Next I imported "simplygon" into blender, which is a tool I needed to reduce the triangle count of the model in order to get under the 10,000 triangle limit of Microsoft's mixed reality app. After reducing the triangle count, I used blender to map the textures provided by the model creator because the mixed reality app requires texture maps to be embedded. Finally I uploaded the glb model and the textures to the halolens and loaded it up. I included some photos taken using Halolens's AR screenshot tool, as well as a short video of me walking around it a bit (the model is a lot less shakey in person, something about the record function was messing it up a little).

20211019_052802_HoloLens.jpg

20211019_052900_HoloLens.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-19 053625.png

Screenshot 2021-10-19 053510.png

Anyway, thanks for reading, I can't provide the 3D model itself because I didn't make it and it costs money, but heres the link to it if anyone's interested- Joi - Blade Runner 2049 - Buy Royalty Free 3D model by LisHard (@lishard4) [9ac286c]

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.