Re-visiting my build for Vash's longcolt, fixing bad casts and new pictures !

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Weaselhammer, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

I finally started a new build today, after pouring over pictures, screencaps, and everything I could find here on the forum, I started work on Vash the Stampede's longcolt .45 from Trigun. The trigger and hammer will be static, as I'm just not quite confident enough to tackle a working trigger assembly yet. It does however open like the original for reloading ! I plan on attempting to make a grip from wood, then making a simple mold of it and casting a rubber grip for it, I hope it works out like I imagine. I'll keep updating this thread as I make progress !

View attachment 82364

View attachment 82365

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

Great start! I have the original poseidon kit but haven't tackled it yet. Subscribed!

3. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Vash's longcolt .45 build in progress !

looking good! Keep it up!

4. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Congrats on that find! any decent kits seem to be hard to come by and with all the recasts out there(and I've seen some really bad ones), I decided to build my own from scratch. Thanks for the comment !

5. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

Well even the original kit isn't 100% accurate so its always nice to see a scratchbuild.

6. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

I decided today to scrap this build and move on to version 2.0. I really want to have a working trigger/ hammer assembly and better detail in this gun, so I am starting over with a different plan. I also ordered some stuff from Smooth-on so I can make molds of the parts as I go along and cast them in urethane plastic. I'm really excited about this build and can't wait until I have stuff to show !

7. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

Sounds good!

8. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

While pouring through google image searches looking for reference pics, I stumbled upon several of your posts on other threads here on the forum, lol. Seems you've been on top of this for a while !

9. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

Well Trigun was my first anime so I've been obsessed for awhile haha. I want to make a metal version you can break down like the real thing, but I don't have the time to model it up right now. So I creep on other peoples builds lol. I have a whole folder of info on my computer if you need any.

Weaselhammer likes this.
  10. Thoth

Thoth New Member

That is sharp! Well done!

11. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

I would love to get my hands on anything like drawings or a good side view. I also need a view from the top and rear of the gun. Thanks for the help !

12. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

PM sent

13. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

So I have jumped head first into my first foray in mold making and have cast part of the frame along with the trigger and hammer. I made the prototype out of MDF, sanded it smooth, then coated it in shellac. I then made silicone molds so I can build this thing in urethane resin and be able to make copies. I seriously underestimated how much Mold Star I needed, :facepalm so I will be making another trip thursday to my Smooth-On distributor for more so I can make molds of the barrel parts and such.

View attachment 83235

14. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

:thumbsup

Great job so far. Wood is always a great prototyping material IMO. Keep it up!

15. loveyuri

loveyuri Member

Nice. i'm Obsessed with this anime too. Loved it. I been looking around for the trigun kit but this looks nice. Can't wait until you finish.

(SandMan0077, Are you still working on the cross punisher?)

16. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

That project is on hold for the moment. I had to move from my house into a small apartment with very little room for large projects.:cry

17. loveyuri

loveyuri Member

aww :( I really wanted to see the project completed.
    Would be pretty cool if it was a metal version haha(i think it was in your fourm(first page?) that there was a metal/working version of the cross punisher).

18. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

Yes there was only one metal one made in Japan.

19. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

SO here is an update on my progress so far ! :)
    View attachment 83239

20. FakeBritishAccent

FakeBritishAccent Sr Member

Nice work, dude! I've never watched Trigun, but I've always loved Vash's gun. Also, it's great that you've found a way to make the hammer and trigger functional! Good luck with the rest of the build!

21. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

I made a prototype frame from foamboard to work on the trigger assembly, getting that right was a pain. The next tough part will be the spring loaded latch.

22. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Not much of an exciting update, but I did drill out the trigger, hammer, and the frame for the metal pins. I also hollowed out a little more for the spring and I'm working on getting the movement nice and smooth with the 2 halves together. I included my first version I cut out up top to show how bad I started out. I have no idea what I was thinking rushing into the project half *****'d :facepalm but I'm glad I started over with a better plan this time . I also started on the top rail and latching piece tonight. On the bottom left is the prototype I made from MDF, which I molded and made a new one from urethane resin.

View attachment 83310

23. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

This is coming along great. I really can't wait to see it all finished!

24. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Not feeling well tonight :sick , but I did get more done with the sight rail/ latch system. I used some styrene and Sintra . I hope to get alot done Thursday, but I have to drive 45 minutes away to get more Mold Star on my day off. :cry View attachment 83480
    And another mockup of my current progress, kinda sorta looks like a gun eh?
    View attachment 83481

25. loveyuri

loveyuri Member

Looking nice.

26. Valdez

Valdez New Member

Thats looking very good. Going to have to pull my scratch build out of the box now. :lol

27. Steamtech

Steamtech Member

That's coming along beautifully so far! I'm really impressed with the trigger/hammer assembly you made!

Trigun wasn't my first anime but I've always been a big fan of it, Vash is just such a great goofy fun character ;)

28. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Re: Vash's longcolt .45 scratchbuild from Trigun!

Thanks for all the feedback ! I'm still not feeling well, but I did get some work done on the cylinder tonight, I used some brass tubing and Apoxiesculpt to make it and I have another piece of brass tubing that fits perfectly inside , which will be perfect to make the bullet casings. I have some rough days ahead at work so I don't know how much I'll get done but hopefully monday I'll be able to mold the front half of the gun.
    View attachment 83715

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  29. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Re: Vash's longcolt .45 scratchbuild from Trigun !

MORE PROGRESS !!! THANKS TO CAFFEINE !!! So tonight I assembled the prototype barrel assembly somewhat and drilled out for the cylinder. I cut and glued in the pivot and the pins for the trigger and hammer, which works smoothly! I'm also really happy with the heat sinks. Here are some pics !

View attachment 83785 View attachment 83786

30. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

This is looking great!

31. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Thanks ! I can't wait to get more done !

32. loveyuri

loveyuri Member

Nice. Hope you get well

33. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Still working on this alot, I went back and made some improvements to the main hinge, and finished fabrication of the latch, I still need to find a torsion spring for the latch return though. Right now I'm making the grip which I will cast in 2 halves with urethane resin. After that, the only thing left to make is the trigger guard, then just fit and finish type stuff. I will be assembling with more accurate screws, etc. once it's painted.

View attachment 84294

34. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Making the grip took alot more time to do than I planned, but I'm not on any kind of deadline so that's ok, I just enjoy the problem solving and building. I made the grip out of multiple layers of 1/4" MDF and shaped it with files, sanding sponges, and my dremel.
    View attachment 84336
    I put what I have done together after a quick shot of primer to show the flaws better
    View attachment 84337
    View attachment 84338
    Next is the trigger guard and front sight, tell me what you think !

35. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Nice. Looks real.

The cylinder looks a tad small compared to that photo. Can you wrap it with a layer of plastic?

36. FakeBritishAccent

Excellent work so far! But I have to agree with terryr...the cylinder looks like it should be a little bigger.

37. Grey

Grey Sr Member

I wish you wern't using that Vice Alpha kit as reference. :(

It dosen't look bad but I don't think totally accurate either, and everyone cites that as an example of the gun when building them. Personal preference, really. I've attatched a couple composite images I assembled from the series that show show some good detail. I think the one issue that Vice Alpha got "wrong" were the proportions.

Regardless, this is the best custom buildup i've seen of this gun.

38. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Thanks for all the feedback ! I actually have over 130 reference pics (thanks Sandman) of Vash's gun. I have found that There are subtle differences that pop up just in the anime itself. I guess mine is a mutt of a mixture of anime and other replica versions, and will never be "screen accurate". I totally agree with the cylinder dillemma, which is made to look worse because I sanded too much off of the frame underneath it making the gap worse. I was trying to get it squared up and took off too much material. I was thinking of wrapping a layer of styrene around it like Terryr suggested.

39. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Not much to update about other than I fixed the gap around the cylinder by wrapping a piece of styrene around it to increase the circumference a little. I also built a new latch that is stronger, I just didn't trust the other one ! I was going to make the trigger guard tonight, but I got caught up in the funny picture thread on the off topic forum and wasted too much time lol
    View attachment 84645

40. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Tonight I attached the trigger guard to the frame and re-primered everything. I also fixed the spacing issue between the tubes in the cylinder, thanks to a tip from Fevereon props ! I drilled out the barrel and added the barrel tip as well. The farther I go into this build, the more I see the inaccuracies, but I'm still very proud of this, especially since I've been doing this (prop making) for less than a year.
    View attachment 84977

41. Ice086

Ice086 New Member

Looking great so far!

42. J Scorn

J Scorn Sr Member

really like the look, i did a revolver a few years ago, the finish on mine was rubbish, however i focused more on the trigger/hammer movements. to get 'basic ideas' i took apart a toy cap gun and studied the movements and the spings before copying the parts in alloy..

43. madprops

madprops Member

Man this is amazing! I made the Pepakura version a couple years back and fiberglassed it. I bet when it's finished it will be good and sturdy for some gun spinning.

44. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Thanks for the kind comments everyone ! I have painted the gun and am going to take some good pics outside soon, here is one from my work bench.
    View attachment 85415

45. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

Looks sick!

46. loveyuri

loveyuri Member

That's nice! Are you gonna make some bullets for it? ^^

47. chinbeard

chinbeard Active Member

Extraordinary build! Keep it up! =D

48. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

I do plan on making some bullets for it, I have to get some more brass tubing and hopefully will have that done soon !

49. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Thanks ! Big fan of yours !

50. FakeBritishAccent

Excellent work! The lines on that sucker are so clean!

-Jonaas