Re-make of "Dune"

He's the author for god's sake - HE would know how it should actually be pronounced.
Hm. Never listened to him reading the book. I do have an interview Waldenbooks did with him and Lynch while the movie was being made, where he pronounces it the way you hear it in the Lynch film. He was also nearly always on-set -- you can see in his face how much he loves seeing what he wrote coming to life. He was involved in a lot of "incidental coaching" sessions with a lot of the main cast, about who their character was, how they felt about other characters, their history, their verbal tendencies, etc. Pretty sure he would have said something if an important and repeated name was being mispronounced by everybody on set.

I wonder if he changed his position on pronunciation between the '60s and the '80s. But then, I'd figure Brian would know that, and I'm pretty sure he was more than a distant consultant on the new version... Which further baffles me as to the other things they got wrong. :unsure:

You should listen to that entire clip and hear how Herbert pronounces some of the other names.

So in the '84 version they also mispronounced both Leto and Atreides - why didn't he correct them on that as well, then? Maybe he just let it go and went with the flow - it was Lynch's project after all, not his.

I don't understand why some people are so fixated on the Lynch film. Villeneuve's film is not a re-make of the Lynch film - it's a new adaptation of the original novel, and I'm sure they looked into how Herbert himself pronounced the character and place names that HE created. There are several recordings of Herbert reading excerpts from his own work. And I'm sorry, but the idea that he might have "changed his position on pronunciation between the '60s and the '80s" is a bit of a stretch.

But then, I'd figure Brian would know that, and I'm pretty sure he was more than a distant consultant on the new version... Which further baffles me as to the other things they got wrong. :unsure:
I think if the pronunciation of "Harkonnen" was the only thing Brian got wrong about Dune I'd still be happy...

I don't understand why some people are so fixated on the Lynch film. Villeneuve's film is not a re-make of the Lynch film
While I fully agree that it's not a remake (someone please change the thread title already?), I think it's inevitable that comparisons will be made. Lynch's movie had a very strong character of its own, I'm still trying to adjust my brain to the new movie being what it is because the production design and style of the Lynch movie is what I associated with the world of Dune for so long.

Oh, I've re-searched, after you posted that, and found all the Frank-talking-Dune stuff that's presently out there. I'm planning to binge all of it. :) I thought I knew what was out there back in the '80s, and, of course, nothing new would be coming out after he died. How I missed his reading, I don't know. I'm not "fixated" on the Lynch version. It's just that Frank himself was there all the way through. During story meetings and script sessions, helping come up with the wierding modules as a more-obvious mechanic of why the Atreides were such feared fighters, meeting the actors as they were tested and cast, seeing all the costume and set development, on-set for a lot of the interior shooting, big event on the first day of principle photography... The only thing I know of him disliking about Lynch's take was Paul making it rain at the end, being a direct contradiction of where he was going with Paul not being the actual messiah everyone thought he was.

I'm not saying you're wrong, The 48th Ronin, just trying to reconcile conflicting data. I'm much more annoyed that the new version made the Shield Wall a constructed wall rather than a natural rock formation than I am any of the pronunciation stuff. *lol*

ETA: This inspired me to go back into my hard drive and, even through it's for the wrong movie, in talking about Frank again, I found these that I love:

D9gxq5mWkAA0LYO.jpg

CMkX66HW8AAb80v.jpg

And more, but I'll stop there. Back to the new version... :)

Got to see this at an IMAX theater on a screen 66 feet tall and 89 feet wide with dual 4k laser projectors and a 12 channel sound system.
I have to say the 1.43:1 scenes that filled the entire screen were astounding, like jaw dropping. As someone else in this thread said it took you to another place for 2 hours plus. We don't get movies like this often these days.

I loved the slower pace, how it developed and how the FX enhanced the story rather than being the main focus.
knowing it was part one I really loved how small and personal the final scene was.

I am usually not a Zimmer fan but I think his music is fantastic here. It was quiet in places where the music is usually big and in your face, which made some of the large epic visuals seem even bigger. The place had a good mix/system and I felt like the music was spot on (except for the scene where Duncan was escaping in the ornithopter, the music was odd to me there).

I really loved this movie and cant wait for more. If Dune part 2 is as good as this, the 2 combined will be a masterpiece.

So let me preface this little review by saying. My only experience with Dune is the theatrical David Lynch version.

So on my first viewing, I was left a little hollow, feeling. I was expecting something a bit grander, with an climax of epic proportions, fitting of epic proportions of the film However on second viewing realizing that this was literally going to be just part one, and that the film wasn't going to follow the typically format of working up the main climax of the film. I enjoyed it way more.

I dig the general vibe of the film. Definitely very moody and cerebral. And Hans score, while lacking definite themes, that many are used to, backs the visuals pretty perfectly. The score is not to dissimilar the Blade Runner or even Blade Runner 2049 score, in this fashion.

I'm excited to see where it goes.

But with that said. I find I enjoy the Lynch version more. Maybe it's just because I saw that first. I think this is a far superior film to the David Lynch's version. But there's something about it, that I find weird and strange, but in a good way. The art style of the Lynch version, is so good. Though this films art style is no slouch. And Toto's score is such a wild ride. Particularly "Dune (Desert Theme)."

And the villains, left much to be desired. The Baron, and Rabban are so unnerving. And here, they're just, "eh."

Overall though I enjoyed it.

A question to those up on Dune.
Been doing so wiki research. And I have a question. What on earth is a "spice orgy?" Lol

So let me preface this little review by saying. My only experience with Dune is the theatrical David Lynch version.

So on my first viewing, I was left a little hollow, feeling. I was expecting something a bit grander, with an climax of epic proportions, fitting of epic proportions of the film However on second viewing realizing that this was literally going to be just part one, and that the film wasn't going to follow the typically format of working up the main climax of the film. I enjoyed it way more.

I dig the general vibe of the film. Definitely very moody and cerebral. And Hans score, while lacking definite themes, that many are used to, backs the visuals pretty perfectly. The score is not to dissimilar the Blade Runner or even Blade Runner 2049 score, in this fashion.

I'm excited to see where it goes.

But with that said. I find I enjoy the Lynch version more. Maybe it's just because I saw that first. I think this is a far superior film to the David Lynch's version. But there's something about it, that I find weird and strange, but in a good way. The art style of the Lynch version, is so good. Though this films art style is no slouch. And Toto's score is such a wild ride. Particularly "Dune (Desert Theme)."

And the villains, left much to be desired. The Baron, and Rabban are so unnerving. And here, they're just, "eh."

Overall though I enjoyed it.

A question to those up on Dune.
Been doing so wiki research. And I have a question. What on earth is a "spice orgy?" Lol
Very similar feelings with the difference being that I read the books a zillion times. It's a better movie and a better adaptation but the Lynch's production design, mood and score stuck with me more. Maybe I just need to give the new one more views.
My parents had friends over many years ago and they watched the Fellowship of the Ring, those guys were totally outraged how a movie can end like that and just couldn't get that it is a trilogy. I read in many reviews that the ending is lame etc, and I'm like, they weren't fooling anyone, it literally says Part One and Chani even spells it out at the end.

I think the spice orgy you refer to is a scene where the Fremen Reverend Mother changes the Water of Life for the tribe to something they can consume, which then turns into a ritual and...well an orgy. Desert rave fest if you will...

New giftset coming with Duke ring and wax

Dune_Premiums_5000x.jpg

I hadn't seen anything like this yet:
Instagram post showing some of the format and style of the art book.

Looks nice.
I wasn't expecting Feyd to look like that, but it's an interesting take on the character. As with part 1, so far it meets my expectations, or I am pleasantly surprised with where they have deviated/did something different.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back