Re-make of "Dune"

My one complaint is I think they should have built up Dr Yueh more. His conditioning, and his relationship to the Atreides. Would have made things more impactful. Hoping we get a peek at the Guild in part 2, though if I remember, the Navigators don’t even appear in the books until Dune Messiah.
That was one of my main gripes with the Sci-Fi channel version. Yueh was revealed as the traitor pretty much in the same scene he was introduced.

Having never read the books, thus not knowing Dr Yueh's backstory, I felt that the scene where Lady Jessica asked him to give Paul the exam showed the closeness & trust that the family had for him. Between the reverence he showed, the care he obviously had for Paul, the knowing of sign language (which seemed to imply it was a secret between mom & son), & then his dialog with Duke Leto when he gave him the tooth, I knew this was a man at the end of his rope that was making the best of 2 bad choices for himself.

I would love to know more, but it was irrelevant, I feel, to the functioning story. If I had all that info, I'd probably feel differently, but in not having it, I don't feel I NEEDED it.

That make sense?

Saw it at the local IMAX. It really didn't feel like a 2 hr+ film. Gutted we've got to wait on a sequel I totally loved it. The music was quite intense. I bought the sketchbook album beforehand I struggled to listen to it on its own I found it quite stressful.
I'll certainly preorder this on 4k

I found parts of the movie boring and the soundtrack painful.

Not a fan of the art direction. The design of the space ships made me feel like I was watching Arrival again.
But I did really like that we finally got to see some proper ornithopters, and well-made at that.

Last edited:
Made probably a big mistake in watching this on HBO Max before going to bed in my bedroom TV. I have not read dune, only knew it’s reputation and the broad strokes of it, and I was pretty tired. Couldn’t get into it. Was left confused and frustrated, as it ended when it barely started to catch my attention. I will try to go watch it in theatre and give it my all while attention, but as such, first impression was beautiful to look at but long and slooooow paced with a jarring non-ending. I get it’s part one of two, but usually films at least try to have some sort of conclusion while setting up the next part of the story, here it just felt like it was incomplete. Not the best first impression though it was partially my own fault.

I found parts of the movie boring and the soundtrack painful.

Not a fan of the art direction. The design of the space ships made me feel like I was watching Arrival again.
But I did really like that we finally got to see some proper ornithopters, and well-made at that.
The ornithopters were great. so many stories remind me of invasions (zero reference to the Apple TV series, this is a Dune thread), so I skipped the tropes this time and settled in to see what I liked about this film, sitting at home

Made probably a big mistake in watching this on HBO Max before going to bed in my bedroom TV. I have not read dune, only knew it’s reputation and the broad strokes of it, and I was pretty tired. Couldn’t get into it. Was left confused and frustrated, as it ended when it barely started to catch my attention. I will try to go watch it in theatre and give it my all while attention, but as such, first impression was beautiful to look at but long and slooooow paced with a jarring non-ending. I get it’s part one of two, but usually films at least try to have some sort of conclusion while setting up the next part of the story, here it just felt like it was incomplete. Not the best first impression though it was partially my own fault.
Not necessarily - I was working on a prop kit for my better half for a bit and counting down to when the film would be ready to stream. Went to watch in the bedroom and was ready to doze off as I typically do because I wake up very early in the morning. I nodded off during a few scenes, but watched it again very early this morning - from my view it’s good. Mileage may vary…my better half was mad, saying the ending was abrupt and should have gone more into the story - I said it was over two and a half hours (!!!), we are home, and didn’t have to travel on a weeknight - although I miss the movie experience, being able to see it now was good because I can watch it again, and wait until it returns on the big screen when I am ready to go back to my favorite movie (draft) house

Having never read the books, thus not knowing Dr Yueh's backstory, I felt that the scene where Lady Jessica asked him to give Paul the exam showed the closeness & trust that the family had for him. Between the reverence he showed, the care he obviously had for Paul, the knowing of sign language (which seemed to imply it was a secret between mom & son), & then his dialog with Duke Leto when he gave him the tooth, I knew this was a man at the end of his rope that was making the best of 2 bad choices for himself.

I would love to know more, but it was irrelevant, I feel, to the functioning story. If I had all that info, I'd probably feel differently, but in not having it, I don't feel I NEEDED it.

That make sense?

Yea, you got the most important parts.

Like so much of the stuff "missing" from the movie, you don't miss out on the concept, you miss out on the magnitude of the concepts. you don't miss out on the fact that this is a betrayal of a close friend and confidant, but you miss out on how utterly impossible that betrayal is supposed to be. The named characters in this story are near demigods of skill and ability in their area of expertise; only some of that magnitude can be inferred/seen. Which is all fine, it doesn't make the movie better or worse than the book, just different.

Yea, you got the most important parts.

Like so much of the stuff "missing" from the movie, you don't miss out on the concept, you miss out on the magnitude of the concepts. you don't miss out on the fact that this is a betrayal of a close friend and confidant, but you miss out on how utterly impossible that betrayal is supposed to be. The named characters in this story are near demigods of skill and ability in their area of expertise; only some of that magnitude can be inferred/seen. Which is all fine, it doesn't make the movie better or worse than the book, just different.
Totally understand.

I spent today down with a strained back, so I went pretty deep on YouTube, & even rewatched the Lynch film. Just learning about why computers don't exist, & then who their human analogues were absolutely made me want to go back & watch it again.

Much like the feeling I got watching LotR with no prior knowledge for the first time, I truly feel like I've 'discovered' a world that I'm traveling to for the first time. I immersed myself into Tolkien's world then & can feel myself doing the same again.

It's truly a feeling that I didn't think I'd experience again, & I'm so thankful I'm experiencing it now. I really think that, although I'm all about this film, part of the excitement is just about the new world that I just 'Columbus-ed'. LOL

I found the many dream sequences tiring. It felt at times as if the dreams were less about Paul's destiny than they were about teenage lust for a girlfriend ...

I found the Gom Jabbar scene on Youtube and compared with the book. The movie has a waking dream in there, where the book doesn't. How many other times have the movie inserted visions where they don't belong?

Last edited:
I found myself constantly comparing each scene to the Lynch version. Two very different visions. But a beautiful film. Definitely need to see again to process as a whole. Very dreamscapey.

Totally understand.

I spent today down with a strained back, so I went pretty deep on YouTube, & even rewatched the Lynch film. Just learning about why computers don't exist, & then who their human analogues were absolutely made me want to go back & watch it again.

Much like the feeling I got watching LotR with no prior knowledge for the first time, I truly feel like I've 'discovered' a world that I'm traveling to for the first time. I immersed myself into Tolkien's world then & can feel myself doing the same again.

It's truly a feeling that I didn't think I'd experience again, & I'm so thankful I'm experiencing it now. I really think that, although I'm all about this film, part of the excitement is just about the new world that I just 'Columbus-ed'. LOL
Did you watch the unauthorized cut of Lynch's Dune? Or the theatrical release? One of the things I still wish were possible would be a -- at this point -- 40th anniversary Director's Edition, where Lynch could go back, iron out some pacing issues, finish unfinished VFX sequences, fully realize the ornithopters, and give us a film a good 50% longer (or more) than what was released (and a lot less clunky that the Alan Smithee version).

For all that both the Sci-FI and Villeneuve versions nailed some aspects of production design better, overall the look of the Lynch version has yet to be matched, IMO, let alone surpassed. And I would dearly love a properly filmed or animated into to replace the clunky production-art one tacked on the Alan Smithee cut. Because, for all that, I love Herbert's narration, and his quick summation of what has gone before. The Machine Crusade, the Bene Gesserit and Spacing Guild schools, the Padashah Emperors...

And I still haven't seen anything to match the chemistry of the actors in that version. *sigh* You can see, from the first act, how close Paul is with Yueh, Gurney, and Thufir, and also his father.

And, yes, this, much to my annoyance, isn't a score I'll be getting.

Did you watch the unauthorized cut of Lynch's Dune? Or the theatrical release? One of the things I still wish were possible would be a -- at this point -- 40th anniversary Director's Edition, where Lynch could go back, iron out some pacing issues, finish unfinished VFX sequences, fully realize the ornithopters, and give us a film a good 50% longer (or more) than what was released (and a lot less clunky that the Alan Smithee version).

For all that both the Sci-FI and Villeneuve versions nailed some aspects of production design better, overall the look of the Lynch version has yet to be matched, IMO, let alone surpassed. And I would dearly love a properly filmed or animated into to replace the clunky production-art one tacked on the Alan Smithee cut. Because, for all that, I love Herbert's narration, and his quick summation of what has gone before. The Machine Crusade, the Bene Gesserit and Spacing Guild schools, the Padashah Emperors...

And I still haven't seen anything to match the chemistry of the actors in that version. *sigh* You can see, from the first act, how close Paul is with Yueh, Gurney, and Thufir, and also his father.

And, yes, this, much to my annoyance, isn't a score I'll be getting.
I've seen the longer cut years ago, but today, I only had access to the one on HBOMax, which I believe was the theatrical cut. That being said, I'll admit I was not really into it at the time & really only watched it as I was on a Lynch kick & wanted to see everything before the new season of TWIN PEAKS aired on SHOtime.

Since again, I went into this franchise basically cold, although I love what Lynch & his production did with what they had to work with, I really enjoyed the 'extra' info I gleaned from the inner monologues & some of the other things that were included. I personally absolutely LOVE everything Lynch has done, even if I don't always 'get it' the first time around, the art of his projects always amaze me.

After learning more of the lore from all the different sources, I'm even more impressed by the level of self-editing required to tell half this story in any coherent way in a 2-3 hour film.

Liet Kynes' gender was swapped in this movie compared to in the books, but it made absolutely no difference to the story.
So... my prediction is that it is going to in the sequel: I suspect that Villeneuve could have changed Chani's other parent into being a prominent male Fremen, perhaps even be Stilgar.

I just hope that he hasn't watered down the story with a cheap "are you good enough for my daughter" trope. (But Villeneuve isn't a person who would do tropes, is he?)

Last edited:
I keep going back to who could have played a Harkonnen in David Lynch's version - Dennis Hopper as Frank and that 'love letter' scene in Blue Velvet kept playing through my mind (too bad Kyle didn't use 'the voice' in the outtakes). Who knew he was the monk in a deleted scene from Dune, just amazing...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back