Re-make of "Dune"

Going in with no real opinion on the novels, and a pretty heavy dislike of the previous screen adaptations, I LOVED this.

It’s gorgeous. Filming is amazing. Score is great. Effects are top notch. I thought the acting was superb and the set pieces were simply amazing.

It sounds as if Part Two is basically all but green lit, and I’ll be waiting anxiously for it to come out in a few years.

Loved this movie. Finally a worthy adaptation of the source material. Although I did have some minor niggles: Zimmer's score can be a bit overwhelming in some scenes, the use of Mandarin in one scene and bagpipes in another seemed out of place and took me out of the movie for an instant.

I kept thinking of this guy every time someone said "Rabben"
gabby.jpg

Saw it tonight in IMAX and I think it exceeded my expectations. Still trying to process everything, will definitely be seeing it again very soon. I read the book for the first time this year in preparation for this movie and it was fascinating to see what was similar and what differed. I seriously cannot see anyone other than Villenueve taking on such a daunting project, and he and everyone else involved nailed it. The casting was especially spot on, every single character felt right. Now I want to make my own stillsuit :lol:

Finally saw it on Thursday, been mulling over it since. I liked it, it's a very good adaptation and a good movie. I wasn't however drawn into it as much as I wanted to. Maybe I overhyped it as I read the books about 10 times, Villeneuve is hands down my favourite contemporary director or maybe I was just tired after work. Or maybe the Lynch movie's style and the Weswood games are just too strong an impression on me and it takes time to adapt to a newer representation of this world. But all in all, I liked how the story was presented, casting is spot on, it's very very good from almost all angles...except for the music. Toto and Frank Klepacki, different to each other but both captured the atmosphere of Dune perfectly. Hans Zimmer is mainly just bass notes and loud sound effects, this time with added chants, music failed to create the atmosphere for me, probably my biggest gripe. I fail to understand why he is regarded as a great composer. That said I'll deffos be watching it again on a well-rested weekend day in IMAX.

Saw it last night. I LOVED this movie. Multiple times while I was watching it, I was thinking to myself “I don’t see how you could do this any better”. Cast, performances, cinematography, design, score- alll stellar. Denis knows what he’s doing.
I think it drags a bit if you’re not a hardcore genre fan ( like my wife), but i was riveted the entire time.
Man, do I hope they make more.

I had just finished reading the book for the first time, and I was blown away by this movie! The visuals, the music, the cast…just amazing.

Looking at it from someone who hadn’t read the books, there is A LOT packed into this movie. So many characters and interwoven story lines. I hope it doesn’t put off the casual movie goer as being too complex.

My one and only gripe - I wish they would have come up with a better ending to this installment. Yes, I understand there are multiple books and too much to pack into one film. But some kind of closure at the end of the first film while teasing the second would have made this film damn near perfect, IMHO.

Sean

Amazing cinematography and absolutely beautiful to watch. Gurney, Stilgar, Lady Jessica, Rabban Harkonnen and Duke Leto were all very well done. I wasn't a huge fan of Chani or Vladimir Harkonnen. I really appreciate that they made a massive effort to be more accurate to the book in all senses but especially visually and with the vehicles in particular. Looking forward to to the next film.

Last edited:
So is the consensus that I have to like the books to like the movie, because that's what I'm getting from a lot of the feedback. I've never read the books (despite many opportunities to), I've not had much interest in anything Dune related beyond the Pink Floyd score for Jodorowsky's canned version.

So is the consensus that I have to like the books to like the movie, because that's what I'm getting from a lot of the feedback. I've never read the books (despite many opportunities to), I've not had much interest in anything Dune related beyond the Pink Floyd score for Jodorowsky's canned version.
I personally have started the first book about 6 times. Wasn't bored or anything, but I just kinda dwindled from it over & over. That said, I've watched the movie twice.

I've never read Dune or any of the sequels nor had I seen any of the screen adaptations, so I was going into this movie relatively fresh, barring some general things I had overheard over the years. I was looking forward to finally seeing a worthy adaptation to the novel, which I've heard this is. I thought the movie was very well done on a technical level and direction, visual effects and cinematography were great. The acting was adequate if not a bit stilted. I don't really recall the music other than the "lamentations" that was heard repeatedly throughout. Beyond that, I frankly found the movie to be pretty boring and plodding in parts and overall there was just a drab, sleepy feel to the whole thing. In my mind, it was straining under the weight of it's own self importance. I'm interested enough to see a sequel but my conclusion is Dune isn't "my cup of tea" enough for me to give it the reverence many seem to. Overall it was fine but I wasn't really blown away.

Last edited:
I've read the book more than once, own the Lynch movie and have seen the SyFy version at least once.

This is certainly the best version IMO, for the visual design (I WILL own an ornithopter model,) faithfulness to the book, and overall acting. I didn't see the need to gender-swap Dr. Kynes, but the actress did a good job, so it didn't really concern me.

There were some things I wish they'd touched on more - Mentats, Guild Navigators, Dr. Yueh's Suk school conditioning, etc. - but 3 hour movies can be hard to justify to studios.

A couple of spoilers:

One thing that rather amused me - Duncan said the first Fremen he met almost killed him, but then Paul could have killed Jamis at least 3 times in their duel. I just attribute it to Duncan's fight not being a formal duel, and that the Fremen was fighting dirty.

Also, as Paul and Jessica's 'thopter was getting shredded by the storm, I was hearing dialogue from "Hot Shots" - "Right for lineup! (Lost a wing.) You're doing fine! (There goes the other one.)"[/ISPOILER]

Lol! I thought the same thing though not having read any of the books, I wasn't sure how much of it was Villeneuve ripping off Lucas or Lucas ripping off Herbert. I'd heard the latter being claimed numerous times over the years and I certainly get it. Based on some of the earlier drafts, I suspect if ol' George had a bigger budget in 1975, SW would've been even more Dune-like.

There were some things I wish they'd touched on more - Mentats, Guild Navigators, Dr. Yueh's Suk school conditioning, etc. - but 3 hour movies can be hard to justify to studios.
My one complaint is I think they should have built up Dr Yueh more. His conditioning, and his relationship to the Atreides. Would have made things more impactful. Hoping we get a peek at the Guild in part 2, though if I remember, the Navigators don’t even appear in the books until Dune Messiah.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back