Re-make of "Dune"

tom.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out who's in that quick shot of they guy coming up out of dark liquid. I don't recognize him, the only thing I can think of is maybe this movies version of the Guild Navigators? if they even get into that stuff

I'm still trying to figure out who's in that quick shot of they guy coming up out of dark liquid. I don't recognize him, the only thing I can think of is maybe this movies version of the Guild Navigators? if they even get into that stuff

Looks like Batista as Rabban.

I'm curious if this will be too confusing for most audiences as the first film was. I remember getting a hand out while standing in line back then that explained all sorts of things for people that had not read the book.

This remake must be for fans. I never really cared for the original. Just something to watch when it was on. I couldn't even make it through the trailer. Just the same ole generic boring stuff. Dark and broody is so boring.

Though I hope for fans, it's something they like. I take no issues with anyone looking forward to it.

I don't really understand why this is called a re-make to be honest. It's another adaptation of the source material. I read some comments on the trailer saying "well there's not much new there" and I'm like did you expect a flowery planet where three little pigs are fighting a bunch of wolves in a Dune adaptation? Of course there will be gom jabbar, sandworm, shields and knifefights, fremen and ornithopters. The point is that this is not based on a screenplay, everyone who read the book has a version in their heads and it's based on literature which is a completely different medium than movies. Screenplays are just barebones skeletons to provide basis for a visual medium. But what works in a novel doesn't always work in a film. That's what makes this one an interesting movie, to see a really visual and stylish filmmaker's take on the source material and if he can successfully adapt a literary piece to a visual medium, hiw the cast works, how production design, cinematography etc manages or fails to capture the novel. It's not a remake, it's an adaptation.

That's a fair observation. And I would say that this movie looks to be very much more a new telling of the books, rather than any sort of "remake".

Though, unless this was going to be some sort of 20 hour epic, split into a number of episodes or separate films, there's no way it can contain near the sum of the book; so the end result will have more in common with the original film, than the book.

on a side note: Are we still under the impression that this is/could be a two movie series? As much as I'd love to get 4+ hour of Dune, I fear the general public's reaction to this movie being "half done" would kill our chance as getting the second film. I'd rather just get a 3 hour "complete" dune flick out of the equation than risk it.

This multi film or stand alone still?

Though, unless this was going to be some sort of 20 hour epic, split into a number of episodes or separate films, there's no way it can contain near the sum of the book; so the end result will have more in common with the original film, than the book.

The same could have been said with LOTR. With the right director guiding the audience on the story path focusing on the important
and ignoring the inane, my hope we finally have movies that do the story justice. I think Denis Villeneuve will do just that.

on a side note: Are we still under the impression that this is/could be a two movie series? As much as I'd love to get 4+ hour of Dune, I fear the general public's reaction to this movie being "half done" would kill our chance as getting the second film. I'd rather just get a 3 hour "complete" dune flick out of the equation than risk it.

This multi film or stand alone still?
As far as I know it's the first half of the book or more like the first book, Dune and the second movie would be Muad'dib and The Prophet.
Which makes me a bit worried because they are not filming them back to back. I dread that it would not perform as well as the powers that be want and they would just pull the plug on the second half. Seen that happen quite a few times and it always pisses me off that I'm sold half of a product, never getting the rest cause the box office was not as good as someone expected it. So if it's a good movie can we all just watch it 5 times...? :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back