Re-inventing my zam stuff

MonCal

Update 8/12/16:
I realize a lot of my photo links are broken. In November, 2015 the two photo hosts we had been using both dropped our photos, completely by coincidence as they were different hosts.

We are slowly working on this and if you search for my username you will notice how many threads I have and how many photos have been fixed and how many are left. This thread is one of the oldest and these photos are among the more difficult to fix.

-----------------------------
Although if you're interested in Zam stuff you're probably a member of TDH and follow along with everything over there but I thought I'd share this little tid bit here for fun :)

In an effort to make our Zam V2 even better I have begun making the gauntlets:

mygauntlets02smif7.jpg
(broken link .. to be fixed)

mygauntlets03smdu5.jpg

mygauntlets04smgj9.jpg

mygauntlets05smxh5.jpg

It's a little crude so my plan is to mold this, make a casting and clean up, sand, and fine tune the casting then make another mold .. actually 2 more molds because I need one for each half so it can hinge open like the original.

Last edited:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trooper TK409 @ Feb 23 2007, 10:10 PM) [snapback]1425384[/snapback]</div>
Looking great Cal. Would you share some of your personal techniques for sculpting something like the gauntlet?
[/b]

yeah no kiddin that looks aweful sharp to me for hand sculpting. ;)

Thanks guys.
I wish I could share more techniques but I'm pretty much a novice believe it or not. I just jump in and work the heck out of it. I use classic clay soft. The reason I use that is because a lot of the sculptors in the local art community use it as do some sculptors in my family. I haven't even played with other brands of clay so far.

I recommend taking a geometric approach to things like this. Use a lot of tools, straight edges, calipers, etc. pretend like you're making it from wood. Growing up in construction building houses all my life has taught me to approach things in this manner.

If you are a novice, you have fantastic natural skill and talent. Your work is excellent.

Kathy started sculpting some new greeblies for her (our) new costume ;)

I think the first one looks pretty darned good.

ourgreebs05smup4.jpg
(broken link ... to be fixed)

ourgreebs02smrm4.jpg

Last edited:
HOT DAMN Cal...

We already own one of your amazing Zam kits, how on earth can you improve on the gaunts? Ours are perfect, well, we think so.

You're just doing this to make us spend more money aren't ya :lol

Totally awesome... as said in an earlier post, you're a bloody machine :thumbsup

Cheers,

Kraig

Hey Kraig,
Thanks for the compliments.. Na... I'm not a machine .. I'm just plain crazy :p
We've been wanting to make new, more accurate gauntlets and greeblies for a very long time and since we traded off our zam and are working on a version 2 now is the perfect time to raise the bar a little ... for ourselves that is ;)

man tell her that greeblie puch thingie is lookin awesome. looks just like the real prop, all the little lines etc.

very nice.

anyone ever tried to make a functional one? like outa leather? not accurate, but would be interesting...

and no... i think you may be a machine... or at least a cyborg.

very jealous of yo skillz. B)

It definitely would be a cool idea to make it functional. Another zam builder mentioned the idea of making the gauntlet greeblie on the back functional and I say heck yeah.. why not? If it looks the same and can be something functional then go for it. .. not sure if I'll try it but I think it's an excellent idea.. :)

We finished a couple more pieces and they're sitting in gooey blue stuff as I type this :icon_wink:

ourgreebs08smrk7.jpg

ourgreebs09smkb0.jpg

Last edited:
I finally have everything together for a kit. As some of you already know I purchased the helmet molds from DCB and I am having a professional fiberglass company cast the pieces for me. I have also located all the other parts minus the hose that goes at the back of the neck. DCB included a 1/2 piece of wire loom and foam backer rod for that piece but I'm not sure I want to do the same thing. I haven't found a hose that I'm happy with yet.

Here are pics of my finished helmet as it came to me:

ourhelmet08smmj6.jpg

ourhelmet09smdw6.jpg

ourhelmet10smuj1.jpg

ourhelmet11smnq0.jpg

Here is the kit as I'm thinking of making it. I will assemble the binoculars and armature because I have a mold for making the bridge section connecting the two eye pieces. The only thing needed would be assembly, rub n buff, and weathering

ourhelmet12smoa9.jpg

ourhelmet13smef9.jpg

ourhelmet14smkn2.jpg

ourhelmet15smca0.jpg

Please PM me for more information. I don't check the boards everyday so please be patient with me if I don't respond immediately but I will get back to you as soon as possible :)

Last edited:
Wow, that is some AWESOME work. Great craftmanship, excellent eye for detail and amazing sculpting. I love geometric sculpting, and this is the "cat's meow"....

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back