re-casted SS bio stands??

azurepred

so i have noticed on ebay that there have been some fan made bios that have what looks to be recasted SS stands included, the ones that they make for their bios. im not one to condone recasting or anything, but i would defn be down for some becuase frankly, i havent seen any quality stands that come near to the quality and over all physical appeal as to what SS has created for their bios. anybody here know anything about the matter? i want some good stands for my bios!! :)

It all comes down to how much you're willing to pay for a stand. Looking at my SS stand, the I'd estimate that there's significantly more resin in the stand than there would be in a bio. Now, because it's a simple pour job, it wouldn't need to cost as much because there's not as much time spent making it.

I've seen those stands, and I think he's charging $80 per stand? That's probably at the low end of what anyone would be prepared to charge for one. Then there's shipping on something that weighs about 12lbs. Within the US, you're talking another $25 right there. Then you need somewhere to put it...you don't hang 12lbs (+ bio) on your wall lightly, although yes, you can put it on a shelf.

It could maybe be done in 2 halves with fiberglass and then pieced together, but that would be a lot of work, and although materials costs would be lower, labor would be much higher.

Finally, the SS stands don't necessarily accomodate all the different styles of bio, which all have different forehead slopes and would all need to sit differently, therefore needing some adjustment somewhere to display them right.

Not saying it can't be done, but frankly given that it can be difficult to persuade people to part with $140 bucks for a bio, who's willing to pay $100 or so just for a stand?

As Paul said, also i believe that price doesn't include magnets so you'd have to find the right kind and buy/fit them. Shame as someone could be on to a winner if they could do these at an affordable price.

Those SS stands has those magnets inside a hexagonal shape that fits like a key to the back of a thickly cast Bio.
Not all Bio's are cast the same way either, most are thin and light so drilling is out of the question.
A lot of Hot glue may work but eventually it'll lose its grip and fall :)

The Icons stand was pretty sweet. Unfortunately it also doesn't fit all bios...it doesn't even fit all the P1 variants, as mine and probably a couple of others are too large. I experimented with making one that looked a lot like the 'blocks' that all of Wolf's bios were displayed on in AVPR, and that could probably be done fairly cheaply, but it's kind an imposing display. Not many people want a wall of bios staring down at them.

well..........i think the wire method works very well with bios that have holes in the lenses, but i dont have any ideas how to hang them when they dont, and i dont really want to modify the bio just for hanging. its a real shame that someone has yet to really nail a solution for bio stands becuase there are lots of quality fan made ones out there, and they take up way too much room if one doesnt choose to hang them on the wall. i guess its possible to make shelves on the wall, that if the shelf sticks out enough, the bio can just lean against the wall using gravity, but im not much of a customizer when it comes to stuff like that

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back