Re-Appropriated Spidey Thread (in need of Assistance)

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Timey Wimey, May 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Timey Wimey

Timey Wimey Active Member

A bit ago I used to spam this thread with every tiny little bit of information that I have procured, later realising that won’t make my thread look credible. I subsequently stopped posting but it doesn’t mean I haven’t been working. I still haven’t made anything close to what progress should be defined as but ideas have been brewing out of proportion in my head to the point were I really think this has the potential to be the Superior Spider-Suit. This isn’t the first time this thread has been rewritten and renamed and I doubt it’ll be the last.

I have long been into costumes and wardrobe but besides purchasing garments to go together or using Spoonflower I have never built a costume before. This is my reason for contradictions , delays and excessive spending.

I’m often indecisive about every decision I make so this is not necessarily the definitive suit. But this is my pitch:
    Imagine The Standard Second Iteration of the Superior Spider-Man’s Suit as it debuted. Now make the Web Lines less messy and more methodically placed. Replace the Later Superior Eyes with the Earlier Superior Eyes, remove claws, add corded underarm webbing and you’ve got a fairly standard Spider-Man Suit.
    That is just the base however. Because of my unoriginality the Suit will be as if the Superior Spider-Man entered the MCU and stole the clothes of Daredevil, Captain America and Black Widow and then went into the Marc Webb verse and stole the original Spidey costume from there so he could remove the pieces he liked from them to make a more tactical and rigid costume that still could be recognised as some sort of Spider-Man. I do have a plan for how these pieces can work together but I’d rather wait until I have something to visually show.

This has been on my mind for so long I have multiple ideas that might make similar but separate costumes. I have enough material to do so and I mustn’t acquire any more.

The Props: It should possess the backpack and Gauntlet’s, I’m planning to make classic Web Shooters but not a Utility Belt. I also have a plan to make Spider-Bots.

The Materials: Stretch Jersey.
    Cotton Lycra
    Cordura
    Leather
    Tulip Paint
    Various Foams
    Solder
    Wood
    Elastic
    Plastic
    Spray Paint

These are not all necessarily my ideas and I have received a lot of influence and help by RPF members and people not on the internet.

The Thread that once was: The Thread Once Was.jpg
    I've now realized the below posts couldn't be deleted. Many of them mightn't make sense with the more certainty in this post. I'd like some help by having the last posts read.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    velazquezn36 and lorenzo21bry like this.
  2. Timey Wimey

Re: Spider-Man Tactical Style Fabrics?

I'm considering using spandex for just the mouth part of the mask so I can breathe. Could Cordura fabric work as a Full body suit? If so what kind and what parts of the suit?

3. The New Blood

The New Blood Well-Known Member

What about the material used for DareDevil's suit in the Netflix show?
    spoiler-alert-first-look-at-the-red-suit-daredevil.jpg
    It's also in the MCU and would look awesome for a Superior suit.

4. Timey Wimey

I've been reading through the Daredevil thread and an interview with the costume designer and I'm still unsure what Fabric or fabrics they are. It should stretch and not be wallpaper and I'm not looking to have artificial muscles in it. I am a bit curious if I should have some sort of padding though. I'm willing to do the searching but I'm going to need the name of the type of Fabric. I haven't been doing this long enough to recognize fabrics. I'm happy with any MCU style Material except Iron Man's. Hulk's Trouser material would be good. I hear that's super stretchy. Daredevil was a good suggestion and I'll keep looking into it.

5. Timey Wimey

Re: Spider-Man Tactical Style Fabrics.

I've decided to do a mix of Cordura, personally screen Printed Spandex and Leather. It will be sort of a mostly Spider-Man gender swap of Black Widow's Age of Ultron outfit. She's my favorite actor in the MCU and I think something like her fabric will be more unique than the traditional hexagons. I've made a repeat of the simple pattern already. I guess I'll start purchasing when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iracel likes this.
  6. Iracel

Iracel Well-Known Member

This'll be unique. I'll stay tuned.

7. Timey Wimey

I've purchased:
    9ft^2 Lambskin Black Leather http://www.ebay.com/itm/200401653021?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2 Yards of Red Waterproof 500 Denier Cordura http://www.ebay.com/itm/281656667954?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

1 Yard of Red Polyester 4 Way Stretch Spandex http://www.ebay.com/itm/13130358395...49&var=430600327841&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

4 yards of Black Polyester 4 Way Stretch Lycra http://www.ebay.com/itm/20134159264...49&var=500540202446&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These are on their way. The Red Spandex will only be used for areas that need more Air or more flexibility.

I already Possess Soling and Red Leather Strips to make the Shoes from. I'll Cut the Soling to give it a Ripple Sole effect and add the Red Circular studs. These where purchased from the Shoe Repair Store Mister MINIT. IMG_2956.JPG IMG_2957.JPG http://www.misterminit.com.au/

My Father is most familiar with Using wood when making items so he and I will make Spider-Bots, The Backpack and the Gauntlets with Balsa Wood and then make a rudimentary Vacuum Former and make plastic versions of the wooden creations. We may need to make a mould of the wood first. These Materials will and have been Purchased from the Hardware Store Bunnings Warehouse. http://www.bunnings.com.au/
    http://www.australiansheettraders.com.au/products/hips
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbX3bqfzsk IMG_2959.JPG IMG_2958.JPG I plan to make some Classic Web Shooters that Fold Flat like: IMG_2955.JPG

I will be using Ken Landrum's Paper Craft Eyeless helmet to make the faceshell which will be Vacuum Formed with Translucent Red Acrylic to match the Amazing Spider-Man 2 and to make it unique from the other shells I've seen. Of course this'll have to be created in something non-paper before the Vacuum Forming. Superior Lenses will be Purchased from TJack. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=208912&highlight=kenlandrum
    http://www.therpf.com/f75/spiderman-lenses-amazing-raimi-comic-custom-179568/

I still need to contact these people for Screen Printing:http://www.nsscreenprinting.com.au/
    I will Purchase Piping From Here:https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/10m...u-5z8mk9fHEdvNt4OKliUzmPSYYgU37hPgaAnPQ8P8HAQ
    That will make part of the webbing aswell.
    I will Still buy this for webbing:http://www.amazon.com/Tulip-Dimensi...r=8-3&keywords=dimensional+fabric+paint+matte
    Here I will purchase the Rare Earth Magnets:http://aussiemagnets.com.au/product/--3mm-x----1mm-Disc-(Rare-Earth)--(Pack-of-100).html

Here is the Black Widow Repeat:https://drive.google.com/folderview...FIRTRqN3Rqd3FnN2FGUlFXbVoyOVRQNkk&usp=sharing

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  8. Timey Wimey

Re: Superior Spider-Man, Age of Ultron Black Widow Style.

I have decided not to Screen print and to buy a variety of Puff Paint. I am replacing the Soling and Leather with thicker soling and a lot more leather to accommodate my feet and to make use for parts of the suit and so I can have enough fabric to make another unique Costume. I've decided to purchase some Electroluminescent wire in red to match the Gauntlets and to fit with the Black Widow Theme.

9. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

This is really interesting. I love when people have their own spin on a costume.

10. Timey Wimey

I'm planning on purchasing the lights (along with some other things) soon but I first need some opinions and expertise. I have no idea how they work so: Can they be Cut? Should I get wire or tape? Should I purchase Red or the colour worn by Black Widow.

I also am indecisive on the screen printing. I'm far too obsessive compulsive to paint it by hand and have it be slightly inconsistent... So... can I have some advice on an affordable way to have a raised or textured print on what could potentially be large pieces of fabric?

The Backpack has come along a tiny bit and will be a simplified version of this: 0.02 Superior Spider-Man 6-16 14 copy 3.png
    Or a more detailed version of this: 3512454-octopus+2.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  11. RiotJavelinDX

RiotJavelinDX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

kiyominai can screen print fabrics but I believe the design choices are limited to two or so brick patterns, it's also fairly costly. He's the only RPF member I've personally seen offer screen printing fabrics.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  12. Timey Wimey

Thanks. I'll look him up to do some research on how it works.

13. kiyominai

kiyominai Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, I did not expect to ever be mentioned in any posts. Please feel free to PM me about any questions you have regarding a screen printing request. However, I will say that I have never screen printed on polyester before.

14. Timey Wimey

Some reworking has been taking place (in my head mostly). For Budget's sake I won't be purchasing new leather or soling. In my new book I've discovered that Fibre Optic Cable was used for the suit and because of this the suit had little stretch properties. In addition to that I've discovered that polyester is not great for screen printing so if I am to finally stick to screen printing and find a reasonable way of doing so I'll have to purchase a new non leather fabric. One thing that has been a progress however is my new edit of the Ken Landrum file. I cannot really comprehend how to make sure everything fits together so some assistance or guidance would be nice. I feel bad I haven't been focusing on the Daredevil side. I'd only use it for the red parts but are there any attributes that one would want to see?

15. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

I would incorporate spandex into any and all joints or anywhere there will be movement, especially with a suit as flexible as Spider-Man. The superhero costumes on the CW are great examples of this, especially the Flash and Reverse Flash costumes, because they're made of leather, Jersey Knit Stretch (like spandex) and another fabric I don't know specifically what it is but it's screen printed too.

16. Timey Wimey

I've never really paid attention to DC properties but looking at the costume now, it does look great. I'll use as much of the polyester as I can seeing as it's coming my way but what other fabrics would you recommend?

17. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

I really don't know, most Spider-Man costumes I've seen were spandex or lycra. I'm sure what you got will be fine. Once you get the ball rolling and start to see it come together it'll make all the difference in determining what you should use or what you'll need.

18. Timey Wimey

The leather arrived, and though I will utilize it, there is not enough. I forgot that the "squared symbol" isn't necessarily the question to a product and can also mean the surface area. I'll have to purchase artificial leather locally and hopefully I'll be able to get some red for affordable prices just in case. I won't be focusing on most of the accessories until a somewhat substantial suit is made. The Back pack is the main accessory priority:[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]In the mean time I'd like to show you and ask for some assistance with my newest uncompleted rendition of the Black Widowless Superior Spider-Man KenLandrum pattern file:[​IMG] I still need to finish the webbing, the patterns, the thumbs and the palms but after that is complete I just need to make a Black Widow rendition. I've put the psd in my Google Drive Folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview...FIRTRqN3Rqd3FnN2FGUlFXbVoyOVRQNkk&usp=sharing I’d really appreciate some guidance.

19. TJack

TJack Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool concept, I love the creativity involved with customs spidey suits :)

Just finished up mu new Superior frames/lenses if you think they might work for you?

20. Timey Wimey

Those where the Lenses I planned on using but maybe with a dark tint. I'm a bit afraid to order anything right now (if theres anything this thread has proven, it's that I change my mind far too often).

I've Finished my pattern file and the layered file is in my google drive if you’d like to use it or edit it.
    I thought I needed help but I think I've done it. I'm so proud. I don't know if I can use words to make another understand how roughly editing someone else' photoshop file could bring so much joy but it did. When I can tailor it with my materials, see where everything should be placed and make it in a different manor it'll look better.
    https://flic.kr/p/ttR9AJ
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-NQmxLI26CmT2pyYlg0aFNtTlk&authuser=0

21. Timey Wimey

IMG_5085.JPG Spandex, Cordura and Leather oh my... is a completely out of context reference that doesn't take into account that half of the leather is pleather all the spandex hasn't yet arrived, not to mention the fact I completely left out the calico.
    It's probably out of the ordinary to quote another thread but I'm kicking myself I didn't take DareDevil into account when designing the pattern. The costume is really interesting when I can see it in this lighting. Maybe there'll be some Daredevil-ness in the costume (probably (if any) some padding and/or more tactical, armour like styles).
    My Wish List: Coloured Fibre Optic Lighting Cable.
    Acrylic. (Know where to get but wouldn't mind suggestion).
    High Impact PolyStyrene. (Know where to get but wouldn't mind suggestion).
    Goggle Superior Lenses with Later Superior Colour. (Definitely know where to get).
    Magnets.(Definitely know where to get).

Accessories to Start Making: Spider-Bots (Made with Styrofoam shapes (Might later be Vacuum Formed)). (I know where to begin).
    Gauntlets (Will be inspired by Black Widow as Well). (Needs some figuring out).
    Shoes (I Possess All the Necessary Pieces) (I know where to begin).
    Web Shooters (Once Everything is done). (No idea where to begin).
    Vacuum Former (I've got a Shop Vacuum (a start)). (I know exactly what to do).

On It's Way: 1 Yard Red Spandex.
    Tulip Dimensional Fabric Paint (6 Bottles in total of 2 colours).
    2 Applicators (Gaunt Industries HYPO-65 - Ceramic & Clay Underglaze Applicator - 2 Ounce Clear plastic Bottle with 16 Gauge Blunt Needle tip - Slip Trailing bottle).
    Miscellaneous Yo-Yo Parts (When I'm not Spider-Manning... I Yo-Yo).

What did you think of the Pattern File?
    Do you have any better or any good Ideas on where to get Pieces that are easily and cheaply accessible in Australia?
    Anything to add to the lists based on what I've said in previous posts?
    How would you implement Daredevil attributes?

IMG_5085.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  22. Timey Wimey

The main reason for this rewrite is because I am in need of assistance.

I now realize how the pattern I made mightn't work and how my body shape is too unique just to upscale the pattern. I've been printing photoshopped outlines on paper to make patterns and I have the Body and Legs perfectly shaped but I was hoping if I could be told whether I should use the stretchy.org custom made pattern with added extras (which I've half photoshopped), Or my upscaled and warped KenLandrum Pattern that I know half of which is perfect. If the latter, how should I make sure that the non main pieces both fit perfectly with the main piece and perfectly fit me. I'm using this pattern to make a sort of zentai suit and then make a second pattern by drawing new seams for the zentai suit. I have a plan but am afraid and was hoping someone could add some specifics to it. I was simply going to draw curve by curve and line by line on top of the non main pieces so they have the same lengths as the corresponding main piece lengths and the pieces that don’t matter will conform to me.

23. ichibans13

ichibans13 Active Member

Unfortunately I don't have much to add. I'm new to all this as well, and I'm undertaking a task (no where near as complex as yours) that I have no idea where to start, once I have my materials. But you have my respect, and kudos for having a great imagination.

24. Timey Wimey

I've taken some advice from another thread I'm enjoying and made a duct tape mannequin. I went a bit overboard and covered every inch of my body but the head and I also had to use 3 different types of Duct Tape (I ran out and had to re tighten and re align some areas). I plan on attaching a head later as well. My dilemma is, now it's stuffed I don't know how to make a pattern from it without cutting it, which I refuse to do. Any Ideas. My stupid brain won't let me make a sloper because I'm assuming that'd have made it a waste of Duct Tape just to make a sloper in my plan not to make a sloper. I'd also like to keep the mannequin so I can continue to make patterns from it. My ideas so far have been to make connecting duct tape cords to represent where the seams belong then meticulously pulling it off in one big piece, to staple Pattern paper to it, or to wind calico around it like I did the duct tape around my body. I've exhausted all ideas (non of which I like) and I need some more. Could I please have some suggestions? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437398339.489987.jpg one foot indeed is a Tabi sock.

25. Timey Wimey

I've finished the Vacuum former and have the plastic. All of the legs to the Spider pack are attached, TJack delivered some excellent face related products, I possess any item I'd need to make plenty of outfits and I'm one step away from finishing the pattern. That step has been quite difficult and I very much need and 'd very much so appreciate any help so I can finish it and begin a new work in progress thread with hopefully much more interesting posts. I am up to the mask and it is very important that it is form fitting. I do have a replica of my head but cutting it would be an awkward last resort. I have been using a technique of wrapping non adhesive contact sheeting around the flatter body parts. It does not work so well with a head shape. Whether the remaining work be filling in the gaps digitally or physically I require assistance. I'd prefer as detailed as possible but at this point any addition 'd be a godsend.

26. Timey Wimey

No updates. Just hoping someone will reply. I have some ideas for the initial suit. I've cut out all the pieces and realized it's far too complicated and will probably be unpleasant to look at with all the implements of different characters. I also want to base a redesign on less characters, mainly from civil war concepts. I'll keep quite a few design elements from the original and I'll have to think about what I'll keep. I want to keep all the original Spidey ideas but without the Marc Webb implements. I want it to be mostly Black Widow Civil war but with less leather (still with leather). I like the idea of the Hexagonal shoulders for captain America and Ant-Man so I want to see if those can be more seemly added in than my prior attempt. I think I didn't remember what Daredevil looked like very well when I made the pitch but I want the red chest areas do have bits of foam padding in between both puffed and chiseled web lines. I would really like to be able to receive assistance from the RPF. Any suggestions on pattern making that would be form fitting but less time consuming than Duct Tape or getting. Someone to draw on a full body suit?

27. Timey Wimey

Hello. I feel I need to apologise. I don't understand RPF etiquette, nor do I understand what I'm doing. I write too much, understand too little and waste too much time. I overly saturated an under-defined thread due to excitement of views and responses. This has been an excessively long work in progress (phrase I should have used) for me due to it being me undertaking this project that made me realise there is more to costume and wardrobe than just buying things from stores. I could post images of the actual sewing I've started doing but I feel the thread has too much clutter already and what I've done is worse than mediocre. I like design and pattern making by copying off others work. I am not good at things once it goes beyond theory. What I have promised has changed and may continue to change. I decided to simplify my designs for the better and at the time still had a false sense of grandeur. I am now considering minimalising it further for the worse. I know realise I lack the skill this forum presents. What I have only now, truly begun to make, is sloppy and I have dealt with a few problems. I only now am realising that people don't care as much about my own work as I do. This post is stupid. I'm pretending to lead up to something when even the work I still plan on fulfilling will continue to draw out for ages and be poor. I think I can deal with that however. I hope I can be forgiven and allowed to do the best of my ability rather than the best of my imaginary persona's ability.

I want opinions. What are good ideas and what are bad? What should I do next time (I'm still passionate) and how do I limit myself on the RPF? What am I ought to be posting?

It is far too difficult to puff paint without dye sublimation for me so, should only lycra texture will be webbing (Spider-Man webbing pattern).
    I planned on using piping and extra details that I believe I shall have to sacrifice.
    Some additions that I have not posted I believe will too no longer be in the product.
    Your very welcome and wanted to argue with these decisions. I am clearly incapable of doing things by myself and very capable of rambling on.
    Should I post the photographs in this same thread and/or continue using it?
    I am obsessed with this community and I want to do it right, even if I believe it is not in ones best interest to care what I have just now and before said.

28. Timey Wimey

It’s probably dead but I ought to post this. It’s from a time were my design skills were worse but I’ve begun a Dye Sub just so I can say I did something. Newest Spidey Concept.jpg Superior.jpg

AdamTooler and E60flip345 like this.
  29. Lukeclm

Lukeclm New Member

Honestly I love the design and Idea youve had for this suit, it's very original and certainly looks stunning take your time doing this because the longer the better so you don't mess up something important, good luck I definitely am keeping an eye on this thread

30. superher0g33k

superher0g33k Active Member

Do u have the large HD image of that pattern of that last suit pattern u just posted? Or r u not sharing that?

AdamTooler likes this.
  31. Timey Wimey

I had a problem with the file and I want to put more work into it before I do anything with it.

superher0g33k likes this.