RB Replicas Pertwee sonic used at Doctor Who Experience exibit?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Straker, May 9, 2012.

1. Straker

Straker Well-Known Member

So, I've been looking at pictures of this off and on whenever people posted them on Flickr and...I have to ask if anyone else happened to notice the similarities?

This is what's at the exhibit: http://www.captmondo.com/wp-content...-Experience-3rd-Doctors-Sonic-Screwdriver.jpg

and this is a picture I took of my spring loaded sonic taken from as far back as I could to save the perspective:
    [​IMG]

Call me crazy but I think the folks that set up the exhibit used one of Russ' Pertwee sonics for this and added the grip stripes and swapped the emitter. The rest, from the flat base, length angles and lines and measurements look exactly the same to me.

Thoughts? Mine are that it's REALLY cool because anyone with one of Russ' Pertwee's has the closest thing to an official replica aside from the CO toy and that's pretty awesome to me.

2. Cadeian

Cadeian Active Member

I think it's certainly a distinct possibility. Talking with the curator of The Experience at Gallifrey in Feb, I got the distinct impression he knows his stuff, has done the research and is happy to use really great replica's if an original prop or costume piece can't be sourced.

Fun fact: That's how I met him - he stopped me in the lobby and wanted to know where I got my 9th Doctor jacket because it was 'more' accurate than what they had. :cool
    He then went on to break down the differences between my coat and the screen used jacket down to an impressive level of detail. Like stitching details.

3. Straker

I think it would be really neat if he did. So far as I can tell it all matches, well, what wasn't obviously modded like the emitter and the added tape. I just wanted to see if anyone else noticed. XD

4. Cadeian

Cadeian Active Member

It totally would! I don't know much about this design of sonic and it's history, but like I said it really wouldn't surprise me. I mean as near as I can tell he's already using *one* replica there, so why not use another, right?

5. Prydonian

Prydonian New Member

Indeed, many things are the Exhibition are replicas. I'd be a little surprised if it *weren't* one of Russ's! :) Nifty!

6. Ectropy

Ectropy New Member

For the Baker sonic, it looks like a Timelord's Pocket was used:

[​IMG]
    Pic credit: MacMantis from this post. Original photo at this link.

If the exhibit does not already have a McGann sonic, they should definitely add one of Russ'!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. Straker

I know right! I didn't have quite as much reference material but i thought the Baker sonic there was a TLP as well.

I also agree on the 8th Doctor sonic. They should get two just to display one open and one closed. ^_^

8. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Seconded!