Rare Earth Magnets gluing to EVA Foam

falconrh

Hey, I am looking at attaching Rare Earth Magnets to EVA Foam. I am curious what the suggestions are around gluing them down? I know Hot Glue can DE-Magnitize them, just curious what the alternatives? I would experiment more, but they aren't cheap here ;)

I've had success with crazy glue. I imagine contact cement would also work. Just keep in mind that the magnetic force could cause the magnet to tear out of the foam. If the foam is thick enough, I'd recommend routing out a spot for the magnet and sinking it into the foam so that the magnet surface is flush with the surface of the foam. It gives additional surface for the foam to adhere to the magnet.

SC

If your placement of the magnets are not visible (inside costume) try duct tape. I used the magnets attaching the side panels to R2 droid feet. Works great and I haven't had to worry about it coming unglued due to the strength of the magnets pull.

I've used hot glue without them losing any apparent magnetic power. However, the magnetic pull is often strong enough to tear the magnet out of the glue. What I did was to cut a 1 inch strip of aluminum out of a soda can, and after gluing the magnet to the foam, gluing the small strip of aluminum over the magnet. I don't put glue between the magnet and aluminum, just all around the magnet for the aluminum to stick to. It makes it much stronger.
magnet.jpg

Last edited:
What Zlurpo said. Create a chamber for the magnet, and have the magnet pull towards its mate in the direction of that support, with the aluminum or what-have-you gripping the foam. It also has the added benefit of making it easy to slide the magnet off before pulling it away, reducing the stress on the glue. You have to be careful with the strength, because they can easily tear through foam. I'd recommend against having it pull towards the foam, because the pressure of its pull will deform your foam, even if it doesn't rip its way out.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back