Rapid Prototyping

Chewintabbacka

Hi, Just joined.

I`m in the UK. Into Starwars Costumes for display and Cinemaquette models mostly.

Anyways, Im looking for some advice on Rapid Prototyping - Ive used one servie in the US before - If I recall it was called ART TO PART. It was powdery and difficult to smooth. Ended up ok but I need somethng with a little more detail...

Im wondering what options there are and if theres any in the UK? The larger the better but I can always split the models Im making into sections if needs be.

All you info much appreciated.

Later

Hanjob Soslow

If the details aren't too tiny, I would consider CNC milling or routing. Those processes give nice smooth finnishes. But tiny intricate detail is difficult to get at best.

Depends who you go with and what machine they use...

A project I'm working on now, Imp logo done in Rhino CAD and milled in wax to be cast in Sterling Silver, 15mm in Diameter and only 2mm thick, it's NICE and smooth, NO tooling lines at all. :

DSCF0004-vi.jpg

DSCF0005-vi.jpg

Jeff

Originally posted by Hanjob_Soslow@Dec 21 2005, 07:22 PM
Hi, Just joined.

I`m in the UK.  Into Starwars Costumes for display and Cinemaquette models mostly.

Anyways, Im looking for some advice on Rapid Prototyping - Ive used one servie in the US before - If I recall it was called ART TO PART.  It was powdery and difficult to smooth.  Ended up ok but I need somethng with a little more detail...

Im wondering what options there are and if theres any in the UK?  The larger the better but I can always split the models Im making into sections if needs be.

All you info much appreciated.

Later

Hanjob Soslow
[snapback]1141044[/snapback]​

Hey there

I have access to some people in this industry. It has come a long way. I am using the Rapid Prototype technology but just getting the STL files and the cutting the parts out of aluminum, steel or whatever. That way I have a master and then I can make a mold with it Smooth-on.

I can the coat it with my process for metallizing-Applied Metal

I am using a Laser scan technology that creates a great file for this. If you really want the rapid prototype, the technology has come a long way and creats a pretty good finished product.
Just to let you know--unless you are connected with someone in this industry--it can be expensive, even for a small part.

Let me know what you have going and I will see if I can help

Good Luck

Clay

Originally posted by cobywan@Dec 22 2005, 02:40 AM
If the details aren't too tiny, I would consider CNC milling or routing.  Those processes give nice smooth finnishes.  But tiny intricate detail is difficult to get at best.
[snapback]1141290[/snapback]​

Actually the tiny intricate details are not that difficult to do. I can show you some pics of us machining on a human hair--
send an email if you want to see these or I will put them on my blog on my website.

We have machined in 60+Rc materials with .004 dia cutters.
Done deep ribs also.

Technology--aint it amazing....
Clay

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back