rancor puppet replica

Gabriel P

Hello everybody, it's been about six years since i've seen for the first time the rancor in return of the jedi, and ever since i saw that creature, i don't know why but i kind of fell in love with it hahah, i never liked the replicas that are out there, they are not very accurate except for the really expensive ones wich i couldn't afford, so i have always tried to make my own rancor, i was ten when i saw the film and right after seeing it i tried making the rancor out of das, a tipe of modeling material wich they sold at the supermarket, in the course of these six years i think i made about twenty rancor sculptures, and last year an idea came to my mind.."why not make an actual rancor puppet just like the one they used in the film?" so i gave it a try, i made the sculpture in clay, and i made the mold and then made it out of latex, it came out ok, but i wasn't quite satisfied, so after working on other projects wich involved sculpting, i kind of perfected my skills and i will give it one more try to making this rancor puppet replica wich will be made out of latex with an alluminium and glass fiber armature with joints to allow it to move, i began the sculpt yesterday starting with the head, i will also post the pics of my first attempt of last year.And if my writing isn't that good please excuse me but i have been living in italy my hole life and i'm not used to writing that much in english.
View attachment 357843
DSC07073.JPG
DSC07076.JPG
this below is the first attempt
DSC07088.JPG

ok so i tried to make a very ruff concept of the body to get the idea of the proportions, i think that i'm almost there, what do you guys think?
DSC07109.JPG

i've been working hard on the skin texture and i think i got it, i will be posting some pictures of my progress real soon

A dream since you were a kid, finally coming to fruition!

Excellent work - your proportions look great on your body sculpt. I've never thought about
trooping as a rancor, but now you've got my wheels turning... you should make a wearable costume! :)

Thanks!I'm very glad you like it, I'm doing my best on this project, I would like it to be as close as possible to the real deal, so I am really putting all of my effort into it. Once it is done I will make some puppets. If you like how it turns out just let me know:)

thank you for the reference pictures sym-cha, i love a post with a lot of pics too, it gives a better idea of the goal of the project, i am now working on getting the arms right, i still have to finish the right side of the head and there still is a long way to go to getting it as close as possible to the real deal, as you can see in the pictures that sym-cha posted there are still many details and proportions that i have to still work on like some areas of the skin, the thorns on the back and shoulders and also the eye lid...I have also got some pictures of the real puppet wich christrom sent me wich have been very helpfull...i will be posting some new pictures very soon
yDSC07156.JPGDSC07157.JPGDSC07153.JPG

Attachments

• DSC07171.JPG
    DSC07171.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 224
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back