ran short on silicone help needed

epochcraig

hi there every one i need some advice i have made a mould of a skeleton head and ran short of silicone on the mould process by about 2 inch ...un lucky i know lol....my question is ive managed to get a thin layer on the last two inches can i just get more silicone tomorrow and pour that in and it will stick to itself ok do i have to start again and put it now to bad management of product thank you very much

hi there every one i need some advice i have made a mould of a skeleton head and ran short of silicone on the mould process by about 2 inch ...un lucky i know lol....my question is ive managed to get a thin layer on the last two inches can i just get more silicone tomorrow and pour that in and it will stick to itself ok do i have to start again and put it now to bad management of product thank you very much

If you just leave everything be you should be fine adding more later on. I will add "Make sure it's the same brand you used the first time" as I once did what you need to do and used a different brand of silicone mold and the mold fell apart when I unboxed it.

i think you will have a window of 24 hours from when you first mixed your first batch of silicon but if you can get it poured on in less than 12 hours, should be fine, closer to the 24 hour mark the less chance.

im not 100% on those numbers though, i've only had limited use of silicon myself, good luck whatever you end up doing

we learn from our mistakes, i've done the very same thing myself.

thank you for the advice and there is hope then as ive already poured out 2k lol.....ill order some more now of the same product and fingers crossed and ....really appreciated the great help and advice so quickly i will keep you posted thanks :)

The stuff will stick to itself as far as I'm aware. I've seen a guy take old molds and cut them up and stuff pieces of the older silicon into new molds as new silicon is poured. It becomes part of the new mold seemlessly.

The stuff will stick to itself as far as I'm aware. I've seen a guy take old molds and cut them up and stuff pieces of the older silicon into new molds as new silicon is poured. It becomes part of the new mold seemlessly.

hi kerr avon..... oh cool thats good news it all helps the panic is dying of lol ive ordered more silicone its nice for the advice from people who have seen it done or done it .....would be a waste of silicone and money if i had to redo it all for a few inch lol

thanks again

I've added to moulds moths after the original rubber was poured. Even using different brands is fine you just want to make sure it is the same type. For example most silicone you get is tin rather than platinum catalysing.
If you're not sure about the type then sticking with the same brand of silicone is the best way to ensure a match.

And using chunks of shredded older mould is a great way to bulk out larger pours.

I've had this happen to me several times with some smooth on and polytek rubber. Just poured on a new batch onto the existing rubber and worked just fine. Heck, I've made the mistake of not putting any release on a 2 part mold and laying down the other half several weeks later and turned it into one solid 1 piece mold.

I've added to moulds moths after the original rubber was poured. Even using different brands is fine you just want to make sure it is the same type. For example most silicone you get is tin rather than platinum catalysing.
If you're not sure about the type then sticking with the same brand of silicone is the best way to ensure a match.

And using chunks of shredded older mould is a great way to bulk out larger pours.

hi madmanmoe64 thanks for that great advice yeah ive ordered the same silicone as i used to be safe i didnt know about using old moulds to bulk out new ones that great advice like you said saves on materials and keeps the cost down which is always good lol, didnt know making a skull would take so much silicone ...will post up the pics once ive casted it in plastic thanks for info much appreciated

Yup, you can do this just fine. I do all the time. (Plumber) if your really concerend about it put some paperclip pieces half in the old and half in the new to give it some stability like re-bar.

I've had this happen to me several times with some smooth on and polytek rubber. Just poured on a new batch onto the existing rubber and worked just fine. Heck, I've made the mistake of not putting any release on a 2 part mold and laying down the other half several weeks later and turned it into one solid 1 piece mold.

hi shenphong lol have you, im using the polycraft silicone at the mo but just found a local supplier so will switch to them just incase i mess up again at lest then i can drive over quickly and get some more lol......this is great info takes the worry out of it at least i know its just wasted time waiting on delivery rather than wasted product .....brilliant thanks

Yup, you can do this just fine. I do all the time. (Plumber) if your really concerend about it put some paperclip pieces half in the old and half in the new to give it some stability like re-bar.

hi wrench oh right cool thats a great idea i will do that just hook in the paper clip thats great spot on idea thanks

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back