Rambo. Which is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Tom1971, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

A member at Rambomania posted this over there and I thought it would be a good idea here.

My favorites are:

#2 is best, no contest.

#1 Great.

#3 A copy of #2. Would have been awesome if #2 had not happened. Slightly, as in way overdone.

#4 Awesome but again Rambo goes into prison to rescue people. Needed an explanation at the beginning of why he is still there, should have taken place shortly after #3 and for the love of all that is good and holy lets not due #5 in a jungle where Rambo rescues someone from a prison.

Further explanation on Rambo 3 and 4:

I was honestly very disappointed in #3. It's was "slightly", as in insanely over done but more importantly I felt like it was just copying #2 which in my opinion is the perfect action film.

It's not that there is anything wrong in particular but it was just more of the same. Although the fight was great, as #2 and #3 have two of the more realistic fight scenes I have seen, minus the #3 bear hug.

I loved Rambo 4 as well. No updating and more like an effort not to update but go old school. Although I would not mind an updated version.

The problem with 4 is it should have happened shortly after 3 and there needed to be an explanation of what happened. He seemed to accept himself and find some peace at the end of 3 and then for some unknown reason in 4, many, many years later, as in 20, he is still "mad in the jungle." At some point you need to get over things and move on. Plus he has never bothered to talk to his Dad. That's messed up.

I would have liked 4 to take place a couple years after 3 and have a reason he is back there and then continue with 5 and him back in the U.S.

Plus, and again I liked 4, but for the third time in a row it's the exact same plot. Rambo goes into a prison camp to rescue prisoners. In 1 he was a prisoner (twice technically) who escaped and 2-4 he rescued prisoners.

I am sure he can do more.

BTW a tank would rip through a helicopter like paper and I think the tank might feel a little bump. Like you sneezed hard.

2. batguy

batguy Sr Member

I like #1 the best. Maybe that's proof that I am not a true Rambo fan. The series truly came into itself in #2.

The pattern of the franchise is a lot like the Mad Max series. #1 still had one big foot in the real world. #2 was a perfect movie but it took place totally in fantasy land. #3 and the eventual #4 were all cut from the #2 mold.

3. Augh

Augh Active Member

I'm the boring one preferring First Blood and sort of wishing it existed in a vacuum. Have actually made a few people watch it who knew all the pop culture but had never seen the actual movies. They said it was slow and boring, I guess you can't please everyone =(

4. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

First Blood,....saw it 5 times in Portrush Playhouse on consecutive nights

Knew every word

'Shoe Shine'

J

5. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

First Blood.

The sequels are kinda laughable.

GhostMinion likes this.
  6. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have only seen part 1 and part 4.

Part one is a perfect film. It's probably the best exploration of PTSD there is. But in all honesty, that character we saw in the first one should not have survived into the sequels. That was a man who would have most likely committed suicide.

Part 4 was one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen. The only thing that movie had in common with the first one was the name of the character.

7. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He did commit suicide in the original ending.

astroboy likes this.
  8. Krull

Krull Sr Member

The first one was decent,after they all became mindless 80's action flicks with plenty of blood and dead bad guys plus a hero who seems to be bullet proof.

9. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

First Blood is a great film. All the others are absolute crap!

GhostMinion likes this.
  10. mattycsi

mattycsi Sr Member

First Blood first, that film is great.

Then 2.
    3 is is laughable and dated, especially as its dedicated to the brave freedom fighters of the Taliban.

4 I liked, but I was really hoping it would see Rambo return to his stealth roots of First blood due to age, relying on wits rather than brawn.

Reelo likes this.
  11. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

My thoughts exactly.

12. Dreddful

Dreddful Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First Blood, without a doubt. And Rambo is a close second.

13. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

First Blood number one for sure. I love the drama, I love the lines and Jerry Goldsmith's work on the film is one of his most intimate scores he's produced. How do you make a heroic theme but without any glory or sense of victory? Well he did it and it worked. Also got to give a shout out to Stallone's performance at the end when he's just letting it all out. Not many actors can do this sort of thing, especially ones with the 'action hero' reputation that Stallone has. It's a really moving scene and Stallone nails it.

As for the sequels? While they certainly are on the lighter side when it comes to overall quality, I still love the heck out of them. Part 2 is a staple in the action genre and part 3 is pure manliness x1,000. I think Stallone got a little too personal with Part 4, but it was still interesting to see what current Rambo has been up to. And I do appreciate the nods in continuity like the burning knife scar that was inflicted on him in Part 2. It's still there in 3 and 4!

14. Lord Boron

Lord Boron Sr Member

First Blood is by far the most well made and I think the best.

First Blood 2 i enjoyable for what it is, but I mostly recognize it for having one of the most kick * action score ever made, by Jerry Goldsmith

The third one.........eh........saw it once......that was enough.

The fourth.......wish I didn't see it even once.

15. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

First Blood.
    This is where I take the prequel denier tack.
    There are no sequels.

There's a real subtext and fleshed out story in First Blood. The series went into dumb action movie mode after that. Fine for what they are, but the first film is a classic piece of american cinema.

astroboy likes this.
  16. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

I think First Blood is easily the best.

17. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

#2.

Especially because the actor that plays Captain Kunh is my uncle. I didn't know until I watched it in the theater and my best buddy and I both elbowed each other. We watched Rambo shoot him off his boat in slomo. His bread and butter is television but he's also cast as a movie villains - e.g. the corrupt Chinese General doing business with Jet Li in Lethal Weapon 4 (got shot by Mel Gibson). He's been a villain since the 1970's in episodes of Kung Fu.

18. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Dana Lee???? Captain Kinh??

That is soo cool.

How many people get to slap Rambo?

19. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

My buddy and I cheered when he slapped Rambo.

20. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First Blood. When I was in Basic Training the DI's took the whole Company to the movies to watch it.

Part 2 I really like.

3 and 4 to me are utterly forgettable.

21. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

This, even though Rambo is a little too over the top. Rambo: First Blood Part II was like a fan film written by a 15-year-old video game addict, and Rambo III, though it was a bit better than II, was just more of the same.

22. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

How one franchise can turn so many gamers into useless Rambo's

First blood was great

what followed were typical 80's action movies

23. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

I do believe the actual licensed Rambo game released last year was a greater offender.

Seriously, he kills cops left and right in the First Blood segment.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Mektar likes this.
  24. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It amazes me how many of my friends think in First Blood he killed all the cops. When I tell them only one died, and it was his own fault, they never believe me.

25. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

They showed Gault unbuckling his seatbelt! If that won't convince them what will?

26. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Rambo 2 was EPIC when I was a kid, but as I have gotten older, and especially after reading the book, First Blood stands out as having so much more depth and meaning. I will say that I really liked 4 as well and was quite surprised by how good it was considering 3 was just terrible and so incredibly ridiculous.

27. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

28. Dreddful

That video reminded me how superior 80's cartoons were. No, seriously!

29. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

On a semi-related note, when Rambo was released in 2008 one review I read panned the entire movie purely because the reviewer didn't like Stallone's haircut. :lol :facepalm

30. Dreddful

If you have ever seen the deleted scenes from Rambo (2008) you will see how much of a shame it was they did that. The scenes are really powerful and bring the movie to a much more emotional level.

31. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Did you ever catch the Extended Edition that was released? It toned down the violence a bit, but it did bring back some pretty important character moments. Especially from the deleted scenes.

32. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First Blood for me. It's a legitimately good film with some really good acting in it; specifically from Stallone. Like Rocky, to me, the first one is the only one worth mentioning. The rest are cartoons.

33. Jedi-72

Jedi-72 Sr Member

There is only one....First Blood. It's a solid movie about a serious subject. The others are absolute garbage bearing little connective tissue to First Blood. Should've been one and done.