Raise Titanic Movie Model

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by KrangPrime, Apr 9, 2012.

1. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

2. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Got to love the John Barry music there, but yeah, it's a shame no one cared enough about the model to keep it preserved.

3. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'm amazed the author of the novel didn't try to get it but from what i heard he was so unhappy with the movie he wanted nothing to do with it.

4. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

That really is sad to see it in such a state, which then makes me ask how is the model made by Gene for James Cameron being treated?

I know shortly after the movie was released it was on display at Fox Studios here in Sydney. I'm not sure about where it is now though.

5. Shylaah

Shylaah Sr Member

It's in Malta. Alan, why didn't you go get it, you coulda found the room for it--would take a heck of
    a big shelf to display it though!

Yeah, that was a magnificent model, could have been a wonderful display somewhere, a pity and
    a shame it was left to rot!

Shylaah

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

Meh.

As a model of the Titanic, it was pretty inaccurate.

As a piece of movie memorabilia, it's a side-note in movie history - at best.

There are better large-scale models of the Titanic floating around - including those shown at the Titanic exhibit. Maybe it's just left-over "spring cleaning" mindset, but I guess I just don't know what the value in keeping it around is... especially since there ARE other models.

7. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

I know one of the guy's who worked on the original model..... Shame to see it rot away. Alan must have at least a davit or something surely......

8. darthviper107

darthviper107 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There was a clip from an upcoming special that looked like they had it in the background, looked like it's in good condition

9. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

It's a model, that's the beauty, just make another one.

10. Keiko

Keiko Sr Member

I remember this film and the days when we didn't even know where the sunken Titanic lied. As I recall, it was a a big production with Alec Guiness in it. A shame they let them rot, but a 55' model is a heck of a thing to try to store, especially from a not-beloved movie.

11. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Well-Known Member

There's no point in saving it now... It's too far gone and not economically worth restoring. You might as well spend the money on a new replica!

I don't think that anyone besides Malta studio personnel knows what's happened to the model for sure...

There was a post earlier this year on Wikipedia -- a "reliable" source of info if there ever was on the Internet! -- that the model had finally been moved to be scrapped but then the entry on "Raise the Titanic" (the movie) was later changed to say that the model had just been moved to another area on the island that was closer to the sea.

12. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Old pics. Not mine.

MJ

13. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just been made aware of this thread :wacko

Oh my goodness ! I haven't seen that since I was around 12 ! Didn't know it was even still around.

Don't take it too harshly on the facility, they don't really care :(, much like all the major studios with iconic props rotting in their back yards :(. Seems to be the universal curse I'm afraid.

Pity is that say, I were to go and offer to buy it, they'd probably turn me down. Reason ? Go figure :wacko They just want things like this on 'show' I guess, but would not be willing to spend a dime on maintenance.

I remember the last time I went to that place at the time, they still had the head of the whale from 'Orca, (the killer whale)'

You guys have peeked my curiousity after all these years. I think I'll drive down there one of these days and see what else I can find.

I'll snap a few pics :)

14. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Where on the island is it? Google link...?

15. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  16. Alan Castillo

OK, now you've gone and made me reeeeeeeeeally curious Rob :lol

I'll go as soon as humanly possible, although I don't know when exactly. It's right at the other tip of the country for me you know. Takes guts for a trip like that.

Yep, with little traffic, a whole half-hour drive at least :lol

17. terryr

terryr Sr Member

It wasn't a very good movie. If it was a hit it might have been better cared for.

And when they raised it, in one big piece, it was in remarkable condition for being underwater all that time.
    There was plenty of testimony it broke up. I guess they figured we'd never see the real one.

18. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I loved that movie, plus it's got Alec Guiness in it.

It was not proved that it was broken up at the time the book was written.

19. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

I loved the movie also. I love how they towed it to NY.

20. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Not helping was the fact that the commission of inquiry actually found that the ship *didn't* break up, IIRC - pretty much discounting the testimony of two survivors who saw it do so. Theories for this included face-saving/damage-control for the British shipbuilding industry.

21. Mr Walker

Mr Walker Active Member

Great book, terrible movie.

22. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member

23. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What a shame!

24. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

paging bob burns , paging Bob Burns.

-james

25. Alan Castillo

Well, so it took 24 hours of being locked out of the board to get me to move my butt and actually go there to take some pics LOL (can't even use an emoticon as connected via proxy atm).

Anyway, here's what I did today; being bored out of my mind, it's gonna be a long post with lots of pics.

The model is located within the Mediterranean Film Studios facility, and it also has the largest on-ground water filming tanks in the world. So I though you may want to see those too and started off by taking a few pics of those.

First of all, I live where the blue circle is, and the facilities are marked with a red circle. Around a 45 minute drive today.

[​IMG]

The red indicates the perimeter of the facility

[​IMG]

The red dot is where the following pics are taken from, and where I parked the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the following pics are left over sets of boats and whatnots, from lord know what productions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just on the outskirts of the facility is a Paintball play zone

[​IMG]

A few views from further to the right

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I took those pics, I drove up to the entrance, and asked the guard who I could speak to take a few pics inside.

I told him I wanted to take pics of the Titanic model, and he immediately told me, quote / translate "What the **** do you want to see that rust bucket for !" LOL

Anyway, his boss wasn't around, but he called her on her cell phone and gave it to me to speak to her.

I told her what I wanted, and she said, in a very posh voice that made me want to strangle her "No, you can't. You need permission from the director to do that". - that's the MOVIE director !!! (insert jaw-drop and head-smack emoticon here)

After a VERY brief conversation trying to explain to her the meaning of rust-buckets, what almost 30 years means etc, I knew that I would get nowhere, and left.

However, I decided that I'd make the trip worthwhile, and drive around the complex to get a few more shots of the water-tanks for you guys.

So I went to the blue spot, and started taking some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having taken those, I was about to turn around to leave, when something caught my eye.

Here is a close-up of the last pic

[​IMG]

I immediately started cussing myself for not bringing a zoom lens along ! But again, I thought I might as well go the whole hog and again make the trip even more worthwhile.

From the blue spot where I parked the car, I clambered down a hill along the red line to reach sea-level with rocks, soil, thistles etc along the way..... in shorts and flip-flops LOL

The best view would be from the tip of the red arrow, the model being encircled.

You can make out the fence perimeter along the ridge, turning 90 degrees right at the tip of the arrow.

[​IMG]

Here are some pics I took on the way down, together with some blow-ups I had to do by increasing the image size by a gazillion in photoshop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blow-up of above

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ditto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ditto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the maximum point I could reach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best part is that when I got to this point, ie where the fence turns at 90 degrees, the back door was open LOL !

[​IMG]

The model was only around 50 meters or so away, and I could have easily gotten to it close-up.

However, I saw a couple of workers walking along a path further away, and decided not to risk it :(

But hey, I got some pics of the model as promised !

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  26. Shylaah

Shylaah Sr Member

My what an adventure, Alan! Dirty rotten shame they wouldn't let you on the property. From the pictures you did get, what exactly is it they were protecting it from???

She certainly is in a sad, sad condition. I don't know if I would even have recognized her in that dilapidated state. Glad you had a sharp eye and were willing to sacrifice your flip flops to bring us the pictures!

Those big old tanks are cool. Maelstrom, anyone?

Thanks for taking the trip there and for sharing your experience and pictures--that's certainly going above and beyond :thumbsup :)

Shylaah

27. Alan Castillo

My flip-flops live ! muuuahahahahaha ! It's my legs that are all scratched :lol

They are protecting it from nothing of course. She was just trying to be smart.

However, she will receive an email from me later today (I'll find it), with some of the blown-up pics above attached, with a short note "Taken today. Thanks anyway :)"

:lol

28. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So I take it Olive was out to lunch ;)

Awesome pics nevertheless and thanks for going the extra mile on the last ones!!

29. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Nice work, Alan!

The condition of that fence...methinks a return visit around 4 or 5am at midsummer on a Sunday with no filming scheduled might pay off. :)

30. Alan Castillo

Oh no, she lives not far from where I live (yellow circle)

[​IMG]

Now there's an idea !

...... waking up at 4am might be a problem though :lol

31. mykindofscum

mykindofscum Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Apparently the ship gangway mock-up with bluescreen background is for the upcoming film about the Somalian pirates' hijacking of the Maersk Alabama in 2009, also known as "US Navy SEALs 3 - Pirates 0".

I ?think? the film is working under the title Captain Phillips, and found some articles that say the they have been filming in Malta this spring. Will defer to reporter-on-the -scene Mr. Castillo for more details and Tom Hanks sightings...

Perhaps that more current production was the film the boss lady was thinking about when she mentioned permission from the director??

Nice pics and good effort, thanks for sharing. Pretty cool to see that Titanic, and good bonus nugget on the Maersk Alabama.

[​IMG]

32. Alan Castillo

33. Alan Castillo

34. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

So ya L'il trip paid off then? Nice work Alan thanks for the pix. Did ya catch the movie in the end?

35. Alan Castillo

No :(

It took me too long to post the pics in this thread and I missed it :lol

Seriously !

I'll go to Monday's show though :)

36. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

wow... the poor thing is so wrecked.... why even keep it around at this point?

37. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Because they'd have to pay someone to move/dispose of it. If you piled up all the rotting movie junk in the world, it'd be, uh, ahhhm, well, quite a big pile.

38. Alan Castillo

Not unless she is deaf :lol

I said "Titanic Model", "Rust", "30-year-old Film" several times.

Just to tick her off in return, I also told her the director is probably dead at some point in the conversation :lol

39. bondfan2000

bondfan2000 New Member

how sad. You should have just jumped the fence and grabbed the photos and ran like hell! LOL

40. Alan Castillo

41. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

RPF News, Malta Correspondent.

Doing a news piece on why movie lot security is so under valued, when in fact they are the industries most important asset.

Would it be possible to have a walking interview?

Maybe get a few environmental shots first?

Oh here would be a great shot. Could you move just a wee bit to the left, um a wee bit more? Ah that's perfect!

Snap.

42. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great detective work. :)

-Mike J.

43. Retep1701a

Retep1701a New Member

Many, many of hours of work to see it go to this. They should have put it in the Smithsonian. The Enterprise did.

44. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Considering how rusted it looks, it could almost pass for the real one sitting on the bottom of the Atlantic (provided it was broken in half). Good eagle eyes there.

45. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

did you work on the original? Any construction photos? :)

46. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

had the same thought :)

47. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

Wow! I just watched the trailer yesterday for "Raise the Titanic". It was a good movie with an excellent sound track. Unfortunately, there was no money to be made on the leftover Titanic prop, so it just sat and eventually decomposed. It was good to see all those photos through the years. I just read that some guy is planning to make a real Titanic cruise ship in 1:1 scale! Somehow, I can't see that project ending well.

48. fire10

fire10 New Member

What a great thread I hate to see props left to decay like that, the same has to be said for the backlots of universal studios.
    I know thay have been filmed and done their job but it would be nice to keep things for future generations.
    What a shame

49. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

I feel the same, great thread and pics! I remember what a big deal this model was when the film was made and how much it cost.

50. Alan Castillo

Indeed. I thought it was a great movie with a brilliant plot and the effects for the time were cool :thumbsup