Raiders of the Lost Ark and Captain America

PHArchivist

Master Member
Just watched it on Blu-Ray.

Eh... Ok. Nicely polished, well-produiced. Not as much fun as Iron Man.

Saw enough nods to Raiders that I thought, "This just can't be me..."

Sure enough, from IMDB (not that IMDB is the end all be all of film knowledge):

"There are several references to Raiders of the Lost Ark, which director Joe Johnston worked on as Art Director:
  • Red Skull's consumption at the hands of the Tesseract is very similar to how the Ark of the Covenent kills the Nazis.
    [*]Cap throws a HYDRA bad guy into a fighter plane's propeller.
    [*]After he holds the Cosmic Cube in his hands, Johann Schmidt/The Red Skull makes a comment about how the Fuhrer "searches the desert for trinkets
    ."

BUT...

Did they NOT notice Tommy Lee Jones' jacket!?

Last edited:
Wasn't that just a standard A2 he was wearing? Admit I thought the film was fun, but not worth re-watching so I couldn't swear to it. If so however, Indy's jacket was based on the A2 with some changes in the pattern. The "Trinkets in the Desert" line did make me smile though. I think the others might be more coincident than homage.

Last edited:
The very reason I enjoyed "Captain America" so much was because I felt like Indy or the Rocketeer could have shown up in cameos and it wouldn't even have seemed out of place.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back