Raiders of the Lost Ark: 40th Anniversary

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Wow—hard to believe that the greatest action adventure film ever made turns 40 years old on June 12, 2021; just a few weeks away.

Here is what really blows my mind…if Disney fully intends to mishandle the character in a 5th movie, it would mean the movie would need to take place in 1976 or 1977 (beginning on when they start filming) which is just a few years away from the the film’s original 1981 release year.

Last edited:
Who knows maybe Indy, by the end of the new film will be the technical consultant for the first.;)

I remember winning tickets from a local TV station to go to the premier in my city.
Took a couple of friends to go see it. Still have the original glossy printed movie program/fold out.
Back when studios still did that.

Good times.

Before it came out, being the naive teen that I was, I remember thinking "This doesn't really sound like it is going to be very good. Archeology? 1930s stuff? Pretty sure it won't have any spaceships in it. Do I really want to see this?":unsure:

I was a teen, my father bought the family opening night tickets, I had no idea what to expect.

Besides everyone enjoying the living heck out of it, it was the first and only time in a theater I heard someone (besides me) a row back or so turn to his wife and announce he was buying the soundtrack when the lights came up.

I know I saw the movie in a theater (I was 11 at the time), but I just don't remember it, as I've seen it so many times since then it all blurs together.
Just the mere idea of another Indiana Jones movie makes me cringe. You can't improve with riding off into the sunset with Denholm Elliot* and Sean Connery!

*FYI, did you know that Denholm Elliot was shot down on an RAF raid on a German U-boat pen and spent most of the war in a German POW camp?

I was on vacation with my family when it came out. There were 2 twenty-something couples sitting beside us in a small seafood restaurant, & I just remember one of the girls saying, "Who knew? Harrison Ford... The new BIG movie star."

It caught my ear because I was 9 & EMPIRE had made Han Solo the coolest guy EVER. Not too long after (& this part is fuzzy), I saw a still from the movie on the cover of a TIME magazine, I think. That was all I needed.

My family just never really went to the movies. We just watched the ABC Sunday Night Movie & it was fine, but I WANTED to see Raiders bad. Then school started & stuff changed...

I still consumed EVERYTHING I could about Indiana Jones, but during the first few weeks of school, we had the first Scholastic Book 'catalog' come out & I bought the big, single issue of the MARVEL comic adaptation, & being the scaredy cat I was, some of the scenes had me terrified to actually SEE them with my own eyes. I'd ask every kid I could find to describe the movie to me, scene by scene, in great detail, but I just didn't want to actually SEE it.

During the next few years, I ran around the house with Piece of string, tied to a stick for a whip, asked for a brown, Members Only jacket because we couldn't afford a leather one since I'd only get to wear it a few months (I got a burgundy, knock off from Sears), & was given an old, brown 'fedora' that had a narrow brim & a straight crease down the middle, but you couldn't tell ANY of my fat butt that I was NOT Indiana Jones.

I had no fabrication skills, so my granny sewed me a sandbag, a satchel, & a whip holder (I had upgraded by this point to a 4ft, loosely braided whip with a wooded dowel as a handle that my dad found at a cattle sale.

I actually didn't SEE the movie until it came out in VHS. My brother was 15 yrs older than my & the only one in the family with a VCR, so he put his name on the waiting list at the local video store, & over a month later, my Mom & Dad let me skip school to spend the 2 nights with my brother's family that he'd have the rental.

It was incredible, as we all know.

Things kind of died down during high school, & it wasn't until our first trip to Disney with my wife & kids, that I saw the Indy merch & became obsessed all over again. I bought a whip from a YouTuber named Adam Winrich, & started learning all types of cracks & tricks. One of my proudest moments (& my wife's most horrific) was when I was practicing in the back yard one morning, & a deputy was called to the high school across the street for a report of "shots fired". That afternoon, after everything was cleared up, the principal, whom I knew pretty well called to ask that I only practice after hours. I said sure, but he told me, when the deputy came back to the school, the principal asked what was going on. The deputy responded, "Indiana Jones across the street was looking for the ******* Ark!".

I said all that to say this-

I was a SW fan first & foremost, but this movie was the one that shaped a LOT of my childhood, & probably the franchise I've come back to the most. IDK who here was in the business back then & may have had any hand in it's existence, but if you're here or know someone who did, tell them thank you.

I still remember the terror I felt when I first saw ROTLA at the drive-in (double feature when TOD came out) and the faces melted when Belloq opened the ark. I turned away for a second when Indy said "don't look at it no matter what happens" (yep I was that kid lol) but morbid curiosity got the better of me. Those effects were far more disturbing than anything I've seen in recent memory and seeing it on the big screen was absolutely amazing. Just a very small piece of why this this movie is forever etched in my memory.

I remember seeing this, I was 4yo, at a drive in! I can't recall the other two, but I'm sure I saw them in the theater. I remember when Temple of Doom came out, my parents went out and saw it first because the media was warning that it was too violent or scary for kids or something.

Wow. 40 years. Unbelievable.

I too saw it opening day at the theater. I was 17. Blew me away. Still my favorite movie right behind ANH.

I'm not at all excited about Indy 5. Ford is too old, Spielberg isn't directing and they'll probably use this one to transition to a new character to take Indys place. After KOTCS, I distrust everyone.

Last edited:
I'm not at all excited about Indy 5. Ford is too old, Spielberg isn't directing and they'll probably use this one to transition to a new character to take Indys place. After KOTCS, I distrust everyone.

You have chosen wisely. Those are your reasons why and exactly why I'm not looking forward to it either. If Spielberg pulled out over the studios telling him how to make, not just an Indy film, but a film---period---then you should be distrustful as to what the final film will be.

Ford is Indy. Spielberg makes Indy. It's all or nothing, you either have them or it's just not Indiana Jones. That's all there is to it.

I was a teen, my father bought the family opening night tickets, I had no idea what to expect.

Besides everyone enjoying the living heck out of it, it was the first and only time in a theater I heard someone (besides me) a row back or so turn to his wife and announce he was buying the soundtrack when the lights came up.
Me too. It's a fantastic soundtrack end-to-end and I still have it nearly 40 years later.

I had not been paying attention to the current movies at the time, I was 21, my brother said there was what was supposed to be a really great movie called 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. I really didn't have any desire to see more stuff about Noah's Ark so I didn't want to go but he finally convinced me to go and the rest is history.

I was 8, it was a Friday. My dad came home from work and told us to eat supper fast, because we were going to see a movie. He told us that the guy who made "Jaws" and the guy who made "Star Wars" made a movie together. It was called "Raiders of the Lost Ark". This was unusual for my dad - he was and is typically completely oblivious to pop culture.

In my mind, "Raiders" were cylons from "Battlestar Galactica", and the Ark was Noah's Ark from the bible. I was, therefore, keen. I imagined robots fighting over an old wooden boat on a mountainside. This was going to be good.

As the movie started, it became apparent pretty quickly that there was no Noah connection, but I got into it anyway and the whole family loved it, one scare and escape after another. We were on the edges of our seats through the car chase, and when the ghosts came out and turned nasty at the end, we were blown away. Up until that point in my life, anytime something scary happened in a movie, it had been telegraphed, and I always had time to cover my eyes, but not this time. Those guys' heads melted off directly into my cerebral cortex.

We'd been a few minutes late and missed the opening credits, and throughout the movie, my mom kept saying that Indy looked familiar. I said that I thought it was the same guy who played Han Solo: Harrison Ford. I knew the name from one of my "Empire Strikes Back" cards. We stayed through the end credits to see the names and the whole family was impressed that I was right. That is, my whole family except my brother, who still refused to believe. Mom told him to take one of his ESB colouring books and draw a hat and stubble on Han Solo and that he'd see, but he refused to do this.

For the next 40 years afterwards, whenever I run through a field or the woods, I sang the Raiders march to myself, often outloud. My brother still doesn't believe Han Solo and Indiana Jones are the same guy.

Who knows maybe Indy, by the end of the new film will be the technical consultant for the first.;)

I remember winning tickets from a local TV station to go to the premier in my city.
Took a couple of friends to go see it. Still have the original glossy printed movie program/fold out.
Back when studios still did that.

Good times.
Still have your screening tickets too?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back