"Raiders" is a piece of ****...

Raiders is about as perfect as a movie can be, it has everything. Except spaceships, robots and naked women, but it has everything else.

I lump this in with the "Thinks they're chic by hating good movies" crowd. I've recently heard people say Dances with Wolves, Braveheart, and Forrest Gump, are bad movies - Best picture winners all. Now you may not like them for whatever reason on a personal level, I Personally Don't like Saving Private Ryan, BUT I would never label it as a Bad Movie.

I lump this in with the "Thinks they're chic by hating good movies" crowd. I've recently heard people say Dances with Wolves, Braveheart, and Forrest Gump, are bad movies - Best picture winners all. Now you may not like them for whatever reason on a personal level, I Personally Don't like Saving Private Ryan, BUT I would never label it as a Bad Movie.

I agree this guy is just a foolish attention *****, but I also have to say that there are several pretty awful best picture winners, imo. But I know what you mean--broad critical consensus does mean SOMETHING.

But to say Raiders is a bad movie? Just crazy.

What some people do for their fifteen minutes of fame!

I just found out that the cineplex down the street is going to be showing Raiders next Monday! It`s going to be great to see it on the big screen again! :love

I just hope Will Wheaton and his entourage don`t show up and bump me out of the queue!:lol

“Indiana Jones — let’s be honest — never was a memorable movie character.”

Oh yeah? I've got a fedora, a bullwhip, and two Nazi-punching fists that say otherwise.

More to the point, I've got my usual Halloween costume that NEVER FAILS TO BE RECOGNIZED BY EVERY PERSON I RUN INTO. Nobody ever looks at the Indy outfit and says "Oh, sweet! Magnum P.I. in that one episode!" Nobody ever says "I don't get it...you're a guy in a hat?"

Saying Indy isn't a memorable character would be like saying "You know, Michael Bay's Transformers really wasn't a successful picture." It isn't simply a matter of opinion. It's demonstrably false.

Now, if you want to argue "Raiders is just a pastiche of old Republic serials with a slightly more modern take," then I wouldn't disagree. I would, however, say "What's your point?" If you want to say "I don't particularly LIKE Raiders," hey, no problem. That's your opinion. But to claim Indy isn't a memorable character...that's either a critic saying crap to get noticed, or a critic who lives in a bubble.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is NOT over-rated by critics or the movie-going public in America. The film, while not cracking my personal Top 15 list of all-time (it might make the Top 20), is most definitely a great classic film. (Although, not a "masterpiece", as some here have suggested.)

HOWEVER, the Indiana Jones SEQUELS are waaaaay over-rated by too many members of the RPF. And because the Indiana Jones character is so watered down in those sequels, which range from awful to meh, the Indiana Jones character receives too much love by some of you guys.

IMO, of course. You're entitled to idolize whichever fictional characters you like.

Who am I to criticize? I've devoted a great deal of my personal and professional life over the last decade to fabricating and portraying a 7 1/2 foot tall wookiee...named such after the nickname of a dog whose proper name was Indiana.

See how it all comes full circle. :lol

Happy Thanksgiving to all...even those of you who will spend it staring at your autographed 8 x 10 of Short Round. ;)

The Wook

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back