"Raiders" is a piece of ****...

I kind of agree.. With the others, I KNOW about Nazis and Russians. I don't know thing 1 about thuggees aside from that being the origin of the term "thug".
Like I tell my wife whenever I play wolfenstein or any of the OLD call of duty type of games. "You CAN'T feel bad about killing Nazis". The problem is, I don't have any ill views toward thuggees other than their attacking the hero that (since the film is a prequel) is never in any real danger. :unsure

Well, there was that whole child slavery thing, and the time they stole the sacred Sankara stones, plunging the local village into drought and starvation.

Alright, TOD isn't anywhere near the film that Raiders is, but I'll defend it any day as a fun watch with nonstop action. Plus, Short Round's Theme (most memorable when they are riding the elephants) is some of John Williams' best work.

I love Raiders.

"Spielberg … knows a lot about action cutting but nothing about narrative rhythm: this 1981 film travels fast and straight down a linear plot, and the ceaseless rush quickly becomes monotonous,” -Dave Kehr, former Chicago Tribune film critic

He criticizes the momentum of the movie, forgetting that the driving plot is to 'get the ark' before Hitler. The movie is fast and driving, because it's a handful of heroes fighting the war machine of Nazi Germany in what can only be called a race.

Last edited:
I kinda feel the same way of Raiders as I do of the Star Wars films:while I don't hate them I don't really see them the same as I did as a kid-they're all fine but I just don't watch them anymore.

Much rather sit and watch Blade Runner,Ghostbusters,or Buckaroo Banzai guess my tastes changed :unsure

Or maybe it's the same thing as what happened to bands like Led Zepplin and AC/DC:too much exposure,too much time being on and raved about.

Granted Temple of Doom just utterly SUCKED unkind parts,Last Crusade was "meh" (honest-to-gawd I have not watched that one since 1989) and the Skull one was okay,kinda a watered down Raiders.

'Course a whole lot of the 80's sequels were bad i.e. Ghostbusters 2,Predator 2,Robocop 2 gawd just shoot me!

I wish people would give it a rest with the whole "if I dont like it, then it sucks" mentality. Theres plenty of things I think are stupid, but I also know that my taste isnt the bottom line standard of what is good. I can still see the value of things that dont "do it" for me.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back