"Raiders" is a piece of ****...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by CTF, Nov 23, 2011.

1. CTF

CTF Sr Member

2. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Blasphemy.

3. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

He stood up to be counted with the enemy of everything Raiders' stands for, who gives a * what he thinks!

4. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That guy is clearly a ****ing moron.

You heard it folks! Indy isn't a memorable character! :behave

5. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Saying Indy wasn't memorable is like saying Archie Bunker was PC.

Guy needs his head examined.

6. CTF

CTF Sr Member

"Let's be honest..."

7. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Raiders is about as perfect as a movie can be, it has everything. Except spaceships, robots and naked women, but it has everything else.

8. CTF

CTF Sr Member

Han Solo + Roman Polanski = Indy

9. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I wouldn't go that far.

But sure it's not over-rated.

Like Boba Fett or ESB over-rated. Not that bad.

10. CTF

CTF Sr Member

Boba Fett beat the **** out of Uncle ****ing Bully.

11. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

I lump this in with the "Thinks they're chic by hating good movies" crowd. I've recently heard people say Dances with Wolves, Braveheart, and Forrest Gump, are bad movies - Best picture winners all. Now you may not like them for whatever reason on a personal level, I Personally Don't like Saving Private Ryan, BUT I would never label it as a Bad Movie.

12. Skaught

Skaught Sr Member

Indy rapes children?

Scott

13. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I agree this guy is just a foolish attention *****, but I also have to say that there are several pretty awful best picture winners, imo. But I know what you mean--broad critical consensus does mean SOMETHING.

But to say Raiders is a bad movie? Just crazy.

14. Darph Bobo

Darph Bobo Well-Known Member

What some people do for their fifteen minutes of fame!

I just found out that the cineplex down the street is going to be showing Raiders next Monday! It`s going to be great to see it on the big screen again! :love

I just hope Will Wheaton and his entourage don`t show up and bump me out of the queue!:lol

15. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

“Indiana Jones — let’s be honest — never was a memorable movie character.”

Oh yeah? I've got a fedora, a bullwhip, and two *-punching fists that say otherwise.

More to the point, I've got my usual Halloween costume that NEVER FAILS TO BE RECOGNIZED BY EVERY PERSON I RUN INTO. Nobody ever looks at the Indy outfit and says "Oh, sweet! Magnum P.I. in that one episode!" Nobody ever says "I don't get it...you're a guy in a hat?"

Saying Indy isn't a memorable character would be like saying "You know, Michael Bay's Transformers really wasn't a successful picture." It isn't simply a matter of opinion. It's demonstrably false.

Now, if you want to argue "Raiders is just a pastiche of old Republic serials with a slightly more modern take," then I wouldn't disagree. I would, however, say "What's your point?" If you want to say "I don't particularly LIKE Raiders," hey, no problem. That's your opinion. But to claim Indy isn't a memorable character...that's either a critic saying crap to get noticed, or a critic who lives in a bubble.

16. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:thumbsup

I'm totally not seeing the Roman Polanski thing either. Indy would probably knock that guy out.

17. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Guy is a ****ing moron. He's just trying to get attention.

18. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Raiders of the Lost Ark is NOT over-rated by critics or the movie-going public in America. The film, while not cracking my personal Top 15 list of all-time (it might make the Top 20), is most definitely a great classic film. (Although, not a "masterpiece", as some here have suggested.)

HOWEVER, the Indiana Jones SEQUELS are waaaaay over-rated by too many members of the RPF. And because the Indiana Jones character is so watered down in those sequels, which range from awful to meh, the Indiana Jones character receives too much love by some of you guys.

IMO, of course. You're entitled to idolize whichever fictional characters you like.

Who am I to criticize? I've devoted a great deal of my personal and professional life over the last decade to fabricating and portraying a 7 1/2 foot tall wookiee...named such after the nickname of a dog whose proper name was Indiana.

See how it all comes full circle. :lol

Happy Thanksgiving to all...even those of you who will spend it staring at your autographed 8 x 10 of Short Round. ;)

The Wook

19. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

No, his relationship with Marion was consensual. I think Abner had a problem with it, though.

20. Rotwang

Rotwang Sr Member

I like Raiders, it's a fun movie, but it never stuck as some other films did, must be a personal thing.

21. CTF

CTF Sr Member

As would most people, she "was just a child," remember?

Originally, didn't ol' Uncle George want her to be 14?

22. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Technically, "Raiders" was TOTAL ****!!!!!!

because it was a
    S uperb
    H it
    I n
    T heatres

Now.........make with the rep!!!:)

23. CTF

CTF Sr Member

Well, duh...

24. joker-scar

joker-scar Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I gotta side with the majority...(correct spelling???) Raiders is a masterpeice of popcorn fun. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
    -And YES I agree that "TEMPLE" SUCKS. Not for the "dark" story line but for some of the silly "funny" crap thrown in, ie. any scene with Capshaws character :thumbsdown, gross-out dinner scene :thumbsdown, etc. Short Round was tolerable. :sick
    - Crusade is closer to Raiders in feel.
    - i didn't mind KINGDOM. Everyone jumped on the "Aliens?" story aspect but i liked it.

thats my 2 cents....and in this world economy that works out to be NOTHING. :lol

25. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Raiders is a big part of film history and the character of Indiana Jones is just as world renowned as any other pop culture icon.
    To say what was said about this film is a gross mistatement and true fanboy blasphemy.

26. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My friends wife couldn't get through the first ten minutes.

Yeah, grounds for divorce if you ask me.

27. Qrest Fourstar

Qrest Fourstar Sr Member

I havn't gone to the article yet, but more than likely the author of the article is just taking a negative point of view on this bloved film in order to drum up traffic to his website.

28. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would HOPE this is the case - I really can't believe anyone who loves movies NOT liking Raiders. It's the perfect adventure film.

29. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

I would HOPE this is NOT the case. I'd hate to think that an admirer of the film could be so cynical. :thumbsdown

The Wook

30. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Glue his eyes open and open the ark in front of him.

31. Qrest Fourstar

Qrest Fourstar Sr Member

Just off the top of my head. Star wars, raiders of the lost ark and Pirates of the Carribean:Curse of the black pearl are probably 3 of the most perfect films. Action, adventure, The right amount of humor and just enough romance. Attractive actors that do a great job at their roles. Ignore the sequels to all of them of course, but the first ones are perfect.

32. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Dude, please put down the crack pipe. That film is NOT in the same class as SW and ROTL. Not even close.

Now you're just trying to be provocative. You're as bad as the author of the article. lol

The Wook

33. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

I would have to say there are only two virtually flawless adventure films.. Raiders and 1933 King Kong.

34. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Just got back from Kauai (speaking of Raiders)...

Wait until you see the pics!

35. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

QFT you would fit right in with my real-life friends. We can watch Temple but prefer ANY of the other Indy films to it.
    One of my friends views Temple as "that film we don't speak about and that never happened"
    I kind of agree.. With the others, I KNOW about Nazis and Russians. I don't know thing 1 about thuggees aside from that being the origin of the term "thug".
    Like I tell my wife whenever I play wolfenstein or any of the OLD call of duty type of games. "You CAN'T feel bad about killing Nazis". The problem is, I don't have any ill views toward thuggees other than their attacking the hero that (since the film is a prequel) is never in any real danger. :unsure

oh and the author of the article is a tool. Indy not memorable??? yeah thats why he has four films, a tv series, MANY books, and tons of people who dress up as him regularly.. not to mention a live-action show at certain theme parks.
    I'll bet the author tried to dress as Indy once but couldn't pull it off for some reason and decided to troll everyone.

36. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Well considering the gross continuity error that where Jaques first starts the engine of his plane (OB-3PO) is no where near where Jaques is fishing off its pontoon, the movie must be a POS right...?

And how dd Indy ever get his whip back from Belloq, anyway...?

37. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I think the ending is weak. Not ESB weak, but weak.

38. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

To be fair to the reviewer, I've had some pretty awesome ****'s in my time.

darth_myeek likes this.
  39. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Were they as awesome as Raiders? I think not.

40. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Mike, what would you prefer?...that Alexander Godonuv spring to life for one last threat? lol That Hollywood ending crap works great in campy action films like DH, but not ones with the gravitas of ROTL. The warehouse ending was brilliantly understated and provocative.

The Wook

ps~I used to hate the ESB ending, but over the last decade I've grown to love it. The only thing I hate about it now is that as the film winds down in its final minutes, and as I...still transported back to all of my pre-May, 1983 viewings of ESB...contemplate "what's next for our heroes?", I'm abruptly and lamentably snapped back to the present, where I remember what's actually next for our heroes. I get totally lost in SW and ESB, but when the credits roll after the latter, I'm suddenly reminded that every SW film to follow it will pale in comparison to it and its predecessor.

41. JadBean

JadBean New Member

Well, there was that whole child slavery thing, and the time they stole the sacred Sankara stones, plunging the local village into drought and starvation.

Alright, TOD isn't anywhere near the film that Raiders is, but I'll defend it any day as a fun watch with nonstop action. Plus, Short Round's Theme (most memorable when they are riding the elephants) is some of John Williams' best work.

42. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Well-Known Member

I love Raiders.

"Spielberg … knows a lot about action cutting but nothing about narrative rhythm: this 1981 film travels fast and straight down a linear plot, and the ceaseless rush quickly becomes monotonous,” -Dave Kehr, former Chicago Tribune film critic

He criticizes the momentum of the movie, forgetting that the driving plot is to 'get the ark' before Hitler. The movie is fast and driving, because it's a handful of heroes fighting the war machine of * Germany in what can only be called a race.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  43. Krull

Krull Sr Member

I kinda feel the same way of Raiders as I do of the Star Wars films:while I don't hate them I don't really see them the same as I did as a kid-they're all fine but I just don't watch them anymore.

Much rather sit and watch Blade Runner,Ghostbusters,or Buckaroo Banzai guess my tastes changed :unsure

Or maybe it's the same thing as what happened to bands like Led Zepplin and AC/DC:too much exposure,too much time being on and raved about.

Granted Temple of Doom just utterly SUCKED unkind parts,Last Crusade was "meh" (honest-to-gawd I have not watched that one since 1989) and the Skull one was okay,kinda a watered down Raiders.

'Course a whole lot of the 80's sequels were bad i.e. Ghostbusters 2,Predator 2,Robocop 2 gawd just shoot me!

44. Hecubus114

Hecubus114 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wish people would give it a rest with the whole "if I dont like it, then it sucks" mentality. Theres plenty of things I think are stupid, but I also know that my taste isnt the bottom line standard of what is good. I can still see the value of things that dont "do it" for me.

45. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member