RaideR6672's War Machine Foam Build

RaideR6672

Hello Everyone! I think it's about time I come out of lurking mode and start showing what I have done and what I am currently working on.

Here is my Iron Man Mark VI I made last year. It's a foam build using Robo's pep files. The helmet was cast from Timecon's mold. Tim helped me out here and there on this (it's great having a neighbor that is a prop/costume maker as well), but I did make this myself.

ChasePalmer-IronMan01.jpg

ChasePalmer-IronMan03.jpg

306330_10150436194158274_517093273_10175266_1638215739_n.jpg

After the success of my Iron Man costume and how popular it was at all of the events I attended, I decided I would make a War Machine costume, in hopes of having it finished for the Avengers premier.

I unfortunately do not know who's pep file I am using for the helmet (if you know who's it is, please let me know so I can give proper credit). For the body I will most likely be using either Zabana's or Dubean's files. I will be making the body out of EVA foam.

Here are some pictures of what I have done so far with the helmet. There is some warping, and it does upset me a little, but I didn't thing it was too big of a problem to start over (plus I used about $30 worth of SmoothCast 320). I am hoping I can make things look half-decent with some bondo work.

Finished Pep:
20120124-WarMachine03.jpg

After hardening and some sanding:
20120206-WarMachine01.jpg

Warping:
20120206-WarMachine02.jpg

20120206-WarMachine03.jpg

I welcome positive criticism and suggestions. I am very much a noob and will admit it day in and day out. The only way I can get better is to take advice from others.

Last edited:
Quick update. Because of the cold weather, I have put the helmet aside for now. When the weather gets warmer where I can do some bondo work, I will pick it up again. In the mean time, I have been working on the foam parts. I've got more done than I have in the pictures, I just haven't taken pictures of it yet.

20120213-WarMachine01.jpg

20120213-WarMachine02jpg.jpg

20120217-WarMachine01.jpg

I am taking my time, so this is going by much slower than I hoped, but I want to make sure it is done right.

That Ironman looks incredible. How did you do the lighting?

I cut two pieces of white acrylic to the shape of the eyes. I then used some white 4mm craft foam to create a "light pod". Inside they are roughly 1/2 inch deep. That gives enough room for the LEDs to diffuse. The boxes were then glued onto the faceplate, set about 1/4 inch higher than the eye sockets on the face mask. This gives you an area to view through the bottom.

Finally, I covered everything in black electrical tape to eliminate any bleeding of light. Even the slightest amount of light coming back into your eyes will make it impossible to see.

Here are some pictures to show the final product. I have also included a picture of the chest piece. I used the same method to light the chest piece up with an even light.

01252012507.jpg

01252012508.jpg

01252012511.jpg

01252012513.jpg

I have seen other methods, but they mostly fall under two different methods: 1) "light pods" with a slit below or 2) a piece of transparent plastic filling in the entire eye socket with LEDs bordering the eye. The first will give you a look more like the movie, the second gives you better vision but doesn't light up very much.

Hey everyone! Sorry it's been so long since I've provided an update. Life has gotten in the way of getting things done.

So, here's a couple pictures of the left arm nearly completed. I'm just missing part of the shoulder bell.

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back