Radical! Creating a totally awesome 90's Donatello!

Egon: I made duct tape dummies of both legs, but ended up just free handing the design to something I liked. I used 3" foam cut into the two toe shape then attached it to the end of the shoe with hot glue. I filled in extra foam to give the rounded shape of the foot, then covered it in 1/4" foam.

I may use the duct tape legs to make the muscles of the lower leg,
nbehling: For the dome shape I took two 1/2 inch oval shaped pieces of eva foam and glued the edges together. I then stuffed the shell giving it that rounded curve. I applied a 1" piece of foam as bracing on the inner piece to keep both parts from rounding out too much. On the outside piece of foam, I cut out 1" octagonal pieces and placed them in the design I wanted.

I'd like to make the outer edge more rounded.inwards towards the body.

Last edited by a moderator:
feets6.jpg

1st layer of latex applied!

feets5.jpg

Bought a air brush kit today (includes compressor) pretty inexpensively at China Freight today. Now need to pick up some latex air brush paint and I'll be good to go for highlights!

One thing to keep in mind is that the latex/acrylic pain dries much darker. I was kind of hoping for this since a bright green isn't really a "turtle" color.
footpostlatex1.jpgfootpostlatex2.jpgfootpostlatex3.jpg

The color differences are pretty significant. This is partially intended... I had to mix 3 separate batches of latex and acrylic paint to get enough to cover.

Also... damn... shrinkage occurs. I also kind of expected that, but may have to make some modifications. You can really see the bowing at the top in the third pic.

But, it's coming along!

My goal is to apply a strong velcro edge along the top to attach the knee pad then another piece to the lower edge of the thigh piece. This, hopefully will give me some breathing room, ventilation and improved flexibiity. Two more coats of latex, with some variations in coloring and Blammo! Legs will be done!

- - - Updated - - -

I just found this. It's pretty cool.

Thanks Alpha Proto!

Started the arduous task of cutting out the muscles for the arms and shoulders. You know how they say measure twice, cut once? Yes, words to live by. I started by sketching out the muscles onto 3 inch foam. Then re-drawing them when the shapes were different sizes. Drawing 2D with a 3D expectation is difficult, but it's slowly getting to where I want. I started out using a duct tape dummy, but ended up using myself as the dummy because the way the dummy stands isn't very natural (no self respecting radical turtle would ever stand that way, arms straight at the sides in the anatomical position!!). Not to mention, this way I can place the muscles exactly where I want them. Then I plan to overlay 1/4" green foam, then again with the latex.

if anyone has any suggestions where I can get good templates for muscle shapes, I would appreciate it. I have a couple hundred perspective photos of different muscles, but have wasted a couple of good pieces of foam. Do you have any idea how expensive that stuff is? Of course you do. You're a crafter.

NOW SHUT UP AND CRAFT! CRAFT, I SAID!

front.jpg
Finally making some progress on those legs! I decided to use a pair of spandex Tesla brand pants to use as my base. I applied spray adhesive to the pants and to the pieces of foam and applied them to my legs. Warning! Don't apply too much spray to the spandex. It soaks through and makes your leg all sticky.

lleg.jpg
This is a 1/4" foam overlay that I am just holding in place. You can see just the shape of the muscles through the outer layer of foam. After some latex, some highlighting with my newly acquired airbrush, it should look pretty spiffy!

I was going to use a duct tape dummy for the application of foam, but my first attempt went awry. So, I jumped in with both feet, to coin a phrase, and decided to use myself, once again, as the dummy.

legsthighs.jpg

Lots of progress today, thanks to my talented son Brandon. No way I could have glued the skin on myself without his help. I think it looks great! And this is pre-latex. I added the feet just to see how they would look together. Things I'd do differently? I'd make the boots a bit higher. However, I already have a fix in the works for this (and application of the knee pads will make this work out great.) Next up is painting on the latex!

-chest.jpg

Cowabunga! Well, I ran out of 1/4" foam so had to order some more. However, I did get the chest completed as far as the muscle placement goes. They look a bit exaggerated now, but once the foam is applied as the skin, it will all come together.

Unfortunately, I may have to re-do the shell. Erringly, I placed the flank panels in the wrong spot and that hot glue is not messing around. I'm having a tough time getting it off. I am going to try the heat gun again and see if that does the trick. If not, I'll have to cut them off and repair the damage. But, I did make a lot of progress and am starting to see a turtle in there!

20150522_115302.jpg
Feet!! I like the look of these wraps on Donnie's feet, so I think I am going to weather them a bit, then professionally wrap them, This will help hide seam lines quite a bit,

TURTLE SHORTS!!

turtleshorts.jpg

Definitely a work in progress! This set is still drying and I am a bit skeptical about the whole thing holding together under stress.However, the bond seems strong, I strengthened the seams with rubber cement and think that when it's dry, it should be flexible, lightweight and hot as heck. I'm going to airbrush the muscles to accentuate the muscle definition.

shell.jpg

I almost think the shell is a wee bit too big, but when the entire suit is on, in proportion to the head, it should be just right.

strap.jpg

In shell news, I made some modifications to the flank pieces. Since the hot glue wouldn't let go (and I reheated it to the point of melting the foam) I reshaped the pieces, thermoforming them to my body. I also reshaped the breast plate to be more accurate to the film.

Now, if only I could get the parts to which I've applied latex to dry faster! Eager to try out my airbrushing skills.

Attachments

• 20150524_100929.jpg
    20150524_100929.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 55
Huzzah! Getting there!

legs3.jpg
Slowly coming together! Decided to be a bit more creative with the leg wraps. Need to weather them a bit (nothing stays white in the sewer) but I like the way they are turning out.

legs2.jpg
The weather turned lousy here so I didn't have a chance to throw on the mask.

legs5.jpg
Outside shot of the legs and front breast plate. You can't really see much of the shell, but it's there.
sidelegs.jpg

Cowabunga dude! Going to buy some straps and clasps for the front breast plate next. My shipment of foam should be here by Thursday so I can get the torso and upper arms completed. The front breast plate is a work in progress. I plan to age the front a bit and make it a bit more 3dimensional. Also, it needs some detail paint.

I'm hungry for pizza...

Thanks! I plan to wear this to a few charity events... having the three other turtles would make a greater impact, I think. May have to do some recruiting, then more building.

Radical!!

I love the way it looks from the back!
shellback.jpg

From the side, however...

I'd like to put a bit more curve into the shell, specifically where it meets the body. The edges curve slightly away from my back. This will require cutting the shell open and removing some of the stuffing. In my zeal, I believe too much was added. I am going to attempt some thermoforming as well.

shell3.jpg

Well, creating a muscle suit from foam is a PITA. I've read that it is a grueling process, but holy mother, what a pain! I created a duct tape dummy but it doesn't have the same firmness as the human form, so, things are not going together as well as they could. It's definitely going to take some time. I may have to wait until I get some assistance again from my son and use myself as the dummy (it worked well for the legs).

Meanwhile, I added another layer or latex to the feet and they look much smoother now, albeit a bit darker. I may fire up the airbrush today and get to work.

feetcomp1.jpg

I have to say, I am very happy with the way these came out. I "might" do some touch up on the legs, adding some mottling or highlights, but I think they work very well, as is. If the left looks bigger than the right, that's because the foot is tipped upwards.

feetcomp3.jpg

Weathered the straps in weak espresso... my feet smell like coffee!

Seriously. The creation of foam body suits is more difficult than I imagined. Rather than paying the $1000+ it would cost to have a bodysuit professionally made, I opted to make one myself.

Part of the problem with a professional bodysuit is that the only part that would be showing is the upper chest, shoulders and arms. The rest would be wasted space (and money). I started by using a tight fitting shirt and glued pieces of foam to it, then layered 1/4" foam over the top of that. This looked decent, but was a pain to get on and off. I made 2 different shirts like this, and ended up tossing them because they were too difficult to work with, specifically when it came to the arm muscles.

I found a description of how to make my own using two compression shirts sewn together, then the individual muscles drawn on, then sewn into pockets on the shirts. Then, turn inside out, make a small slit in the shirt and stuff it with foam. Turn it right side out again and blammo! Instant muscle suit. I had a couple of cheap compression shirts for practice and got to work. I drew the muscles on, then sewed one pocket, a pectoralis major, just to see how it would look before I went whole hog and spent hours sewing on a shirt that wasn't going to work out. I've ordered 2 compression shirts in hunter green with no edging for the actual suit. Those should be here soon.

chest1.jpg

I then layered green paint and latex over the foam to get an idea how it would look applied. I have to say, initial looks appear to be very positive. The latex paint applies easily over the lycra material. It may take a couple of coats of latex, especially if I want the textured look the legs have with direct latex paint on foam, but I think this will be the best way for me.
chest2.jpg

Here, it looks much too smooth. Luckily I have a textured sponge that should do the trick. I only need pecs, shoulders and upper arms, Maybe a hint of back muscle.

Progress has been slow, but it's getting there!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back