Radial Bearings

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by thd9791, May 13, 2012.

1. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. thd9791

The 3rd one on the top right row

Not the ones like in the center of that photo

3. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you take the bearings out then where won't be anything to hold the center piece in place.

4. thd9791

That's certainly okay, I was thinking of scratch building the windvane part to an MK1 rifle grenade...so I could fabricate the interior and use the outer rim of the bearing. The bearing itself is a little too wide anyways..

5. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Tough to tell, but it looks crimped. So you grind or file off the folded over metal and it falls apart.

6. pfillery

pfillery Active Member

Also something to consider is that a bearing and bearing race is hard plated and so would be very hard to attach anything to.

Would it be easier to use brass tube the correct size? The originals were brass weren't they?

7. thd9791

I'd actually love to, but I'm not sure where to find little bits of brass tubing? The only places I've found you buy a foot or two of stock..haha

I heard somewhere there were bits of house lamps that were brass tubes that might work for the neck, but none of them were an inch and a half across

8. pfillery

pfillery Active Member

My favourite source for little bits like that is the local scrap metal merchant, most of them will sell anything they have for maybe 1.5x their buy price, so brass at a couple of dollars a kilogram will be * all if you want a few small bits, even if you got a kilo and had to pay double it would be $4 or $5 at a guess.

Most that I go to are quite happy to sell straight out of the bulk bins, just have a dig (I always do, often spending more time browsing than the time it takes to unload my scrap), I was at a scrappie yesterday and they had loads of scrap brass and copper rod, tube, box, flat and angles in offcut sizes up to a few inches long.

Hope this helps somewhat.

9. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Check out OnlineMetals.com

All kinds of metal available, at any length you need

10. thd9791

Awesome, thank you guys! hmm, now to actually figure out exactly what I need..haha