R3-T2 Custom Astromech Figure

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With the release of the new Wedge X-Wing helmet, I realized that Hasbro never released a R3-T2 figure. In fact, I attempted to build the figure from parts at the Star Trader years ago, but the best I could come up with was an R2 body and a white dome with yellow details.

After some trial and error with different cleaners, I discovered that paint thinner was the best at removing the yellow paint from the dome.
I sprayed the dome flat white and covered the panels with painters tape and a little car, detailing tape left over from my full size R5 dome:

IMG_2592.JPG IMG_2591.JPG

I used some candy apple red paint left over from my R5 dome to paint the dome.

IMG_2595.JPG

After a week of dry time, I removed the tape:

IMG_2596.JPG IMG_2597.JPG

To paint the aluminum ring on the bottom, I applied some auto detailing tape near the bottom:

IMG_2598.JPG

I used a very small X-Acto knife to remove the excess red paint and then used some Testors paints with a small brush to add the details:

IMG_2599.JPG

I'm not a big fan of yellow for the PSI on the back of the dome, but I came across some neon yellow paint and decided to use it. For the logic box, I used tiny dabs of green paint since those lights are just a series of green and red:

IMG_2600.JPG

Wedge with his R3-T2 Astromech:

IMG_2601.JPG

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.