R2D2 gripper arm part sourcing - WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Beep72

Hello all,

I am a member of the R2 builders group. A fellow member is building the gripper arm R2 uses to snatch Yoda's light in Empire. We are trying to source this part. We think it's a piece from some model kit. I am hoping some of you studio scale guru's might recognize what it's from and identify it -if it's from a kit at all.

Here is a picture from an event I attended today where the arm was on display. I'm 99.9% sure this is a casting off the original ESB one that was used in the ROTJ scene where R2 short circuits after being shot. So the original part used was probably a lot cleaner.

Well, I hope someone(s) can help. I've personally been trying to figure out what it is for a number of years so my sanity appreciates any thoughts you RPF members might have.

Thanks,

-Beep

Gripper Arm.jpg

It looks like a motorbike engine part. Have you looked at the Yamaha midnight special? I’ve got one on the way for another part so I can check when it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sskunky,

I always thought it looked sort of like a bike engine so it's funny you mention that. I am not at all an expert like the folks on this board with sourcing old kit parts. I just know that if it's discovered where it originated it will be someone on the RPF that's familiar with kits from the 1970's (if it is indeed a kit part). I think I've read that the original Star Wars model shop bought a lot of Tamiya kits (cars, motorcycle, WWII) that were used when making the original ships so it could be from one of them. The original gripper was probably made around 1979-1980 so it would have to be a kit around that time or prior to that.

Let me know when you get your kit and thanks for your help/interest.

-Beep

Edit: I looked up a picture of a Yamaha midnight special and your speculation is certainly intriguing. So we're on the same page, you're thinking its the front of the engine block where the four exhaust pipes feed out? That would defiantly match up with the four whatever-they-are's on the gripper. Very interesting. Very much looking forward to what your kit piece looks like.

Last edited:
What members is building the arm!? This is my holy grail r2 part...

Last I knew mike was doing it? But it’s been radio silent and I haven’t heard or seen anything

Would love to know who to search for so I can sign up

This is the only arm I want in my r2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to IA's website it is a project they are working on. I don't know Mike or Doug personally so I cannot speak for them or the status of any of their work. I can say that any info is being passed on to them. That's as diplomatic as I can be about it as I'm not associated with anything IA is working on.

This is something that has stuck in my craw for many years now. We have pictures of the arms because they were auctioned off a few years ago. So that's taken care of. We have ESB screen grabs of the original that show absolutely nothing of the main body detail. Finally we have pictures of the ROTJ gripper which is a cast from the original. It's a poor cast and the main body is a mess. It's cracked, it has what looks like glue all over it and again detail is obscured. After 35 years it's really beat up. So yesterday after I got to look at the gripper arm in person it lit a fire in me and I decided to do a little leg work and hopefully track down exactly what the origin of that part is so we have a proper reference and dimensions. Maybe even a 3-D scan. Plus I want to finally clear this out of my brain lol.

If anyone can find exactly what kit it came from it's the Star Wars modelers on the RPF!

Last edited:
Thanks Starbuck. This is the same display I looked at. Sadly a lot of my pictures didn't come out because the room was dark and flashes were not allowed. Which was unfortunate because that radar eye has what I believe was the original Dykem painted on it. It had a wonderful purple-ness to it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back