R2D2 Build

KrangPrime

Master Member
Howdy all,

[UPDATE] VIDEO! See all the pictures in this thread on how i built the dome! http://vimeo.com/46402019

youtube edition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKS4JfEZHQQ

UPDATE: Video for Body construction
http://vimeo.com/50907076
youtube edition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRwSePq1rg

Update:
leg building video is up
First time building something this complex, so here we go!
First step, purchase the 300 MM dome..

401151_10150579224475211_530260210_11399193_1662979231_n.jpg

Second step, number all the panels and carefully cut them out. I was a little worried, because I see that the bottom ring bends REALLY easily. hope that can be put back in place..

400070_10150596593805211_530260210_11461401_1336714799_n.jpg

Third step, Remove excess metal.... fourth step, prime and Paint.

Fifth step, wait for metal radar, resin surrounds, and TeeCee light kits to arrive. Also wait for Resin HoloProjectors to go on sale.

After that, I guess that's all I can do on the head. then it'll be time to decide what body I want to buy as the next step.... Budget, or Full..

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I didn't bend the metal too much when removing the first panel. I forgot about the hack saw trick and was trying to lightly remove it by twisting it from the tabs. After I found the proper tool, things went smoothly :).

We scored a Com8B Budget frame today. Along with Aluminum Skins to fit the frame. hopefully along with finding a proper skirt that fits, those will be the most expensive parts of the body taken care of. Then it'll be onto scoring the most epxensive parts of the feet. Total spent so far, about $1300...

Here is the list of parts and current status, so far, it's all metal:
300 MM dome: secured and arrived
TeeCee light kit: Confirmed, no shipping notice or arrival yet
Surrounds: astro spares...Payment confirmed and secured.
Radar Eye: Awaiting for it to go on sale at astro spares :).

Body:
Com8B frame secured: Should be here in April
Jag metal Skirt secured
Metal skin: payment sent, no confirmation on anything yet...apparently this guy is a bit spotty on communication from another thread so hopefully that comes through...

total spent so far = $1780 That STILL leaves three feet, and two outer legs as probably the most expensive parts left...And that should bring the final price up to around $2600. All the other things on the droid seem to be in the $50 range and a bit more affordable. Not sure how much the remote control stuff costs..anyone wanna weigh in on that and enlighten me? ;o)

I have like 70 % of my parts, but haven't had a chance to "build" a thing :(

Can't wait to get started on my dome and skins though! Good luck with your build!

Yeah, I went the wooden frame route and am looking for legs. I was looking at wooden legs but Crash on Astromech.net is working on fiberglass legs so I may wait for those.

My problem is when I have money to buy parts for my droid, if I don't buy them now something always comes up and I end up spending my money on that issue and then I'm broke when the run is made.:facepalm

Hey NeilT, Are you on my run for Aluminum LDP, over at Astromech.net? You should get on that run it is the most accurate Large Data Port to date. It is under "BC Approved Aluminum Parts Runs"
"Aluminum LDP 2nd Run"
Also I highly recommend a Senna Drive System for your motor drives, NPC motors, if you need a link to parts/build plans, Etc let me know. also will look up for you what motor controllers I use and give you those links,
Happy building,
AL

Ha, I'll be watching this build closely! Today I purchased a 99% complete R2 kit that the previous owner never got around to building. Good luck!

403161_10150607955250211_530260210_11501583_973718337_n.jpg

It took all day, b ut I f inally got all the tabs sanded off and most of the slag removed... but is the outer dome supposed to sit even on the inner dome, or is it supposed to look slanted like that? As you can see, I bent it a little trying to get that first panel off.. hope that is fixable :)

It took all day, b ut I f inally got all the tabs sanded off and most of the slag removed... but is the outer dome supposed to sit even on the inner dome, or is it supposed to look slanted like that? As you can see, I bent it a little trying to get that first panel off.. hope that is fixable :)

If memory serves me right you cut the lower ring off and afix it to the lower edge of the inner dome? I might be wrong though, but center the outer dome and do the ring along the bottom and you should be in good shape. As for the dent I would take a small rubber mallet and gently tap it back into shape, it should be pretty pliable. You could always put a rag where you want to bend it back to keep from marring the surface up. Also I want to say the inner/outer dome should have a hole in the top center from the spin process don't they? That is an option for aligning the domes as well.

you know, I wasn't sure about that bottom ring, maybe that is what is messing things up.. if anyone can confirm that'll come off, I'll do that next.

The next step is to mark out the circles and squares to cut out, once I get he dome centered. This is going to be the next nerve wracking part. I need to cut three holo projector holes. Two light holes, and Three surround holes

404437_10150608147620211_530260210_11502054_1799369096_n.jpg

I cut off the bottom ring, and it fits better now. when I saw it painted blue in the ref photo's, figured it's best to take it off..

round one of primer painting got done today. Round two tomorrow for all the parts.....I'm also going to start drilling the holes either this week, or next....not sure if I should wait for parts to start arriving before that happens, or it it really doesn't matter just so long as the dome is centered..

Today, we'll prime the rest of the parts. although I Was thinking that if you really wanted to be screen accurate, you can order the proper color to R2 (Wich I think is called Hypothetical Blue). However, with so many different droid variations out there, it could really be any color of blue and doesn't have to be close to be accurate :)....

All I can really do now is paint the parts a color blue, and wait for the rest of the parts to arrive to start drilling the inner dome. Figured it might be easier to do that than make a mistake drilling the panels on the inner dome the wrong size now..unless it doesn't matter..

Today, we'll prime the rest of the parts. although I Was thinking that if you really wanted to be screen accurate, you can order the proper color to R2 (Wich I think is called Hypothetical Blue). However, with so many different droid variations out there, it could really be any color of blue and doesn't have to be close to be accurate :)....

All I can really do now is paint the parts a color blue, and wait for the rest of the parts to arrive to start drilling the inner dome. Figured it might be easier to do that than make a mistake drilling the panels on the inner dome the wrong size now..unless it doesn't matter..

Before you paint the outer dome panels, cut the inner dome panels out that you want to use. Then use those scraps for paint testing, trust me, it'll save you a headache down the road! The blue i used is a blue that one of the members (name fails to come to me) made up, Krider blue.

Here is a wiki link from the site, there is also a paint wiki about Don Bies 'hypo' blue you mentioned, I know that the House of Kolor paint is kind of an expensive route, I was happy with the spraypaint turn out after some testing, you should try it!

http://astromech.net/droidwiki/index.php?title=Krider_Blue

Last edited:
Make sure to check for gaps between the inner and outer domes. They should fit together fairly tight. I have done two and both needed to have the inside dome sanded/grind quite a bit for the outer dome to fit snug (not a problem with the dome just part of the cleanup sometimes). Good idea to check that before cutting out your inner panels, if you have to sand the inner dome after they are cut out you could have an aliment problem.

Always cool to see a good droid build :)

Last edited:
Make sure to check for gaps between the inner and outer domes. They should fit together fairly tight.

Always cool to see a good droid build :)

don't judge the build yet, I've been known to have major disasters befall me before all is said and done ;o)..

402596_10150610649595211_530260210_11509062_1758957978_n.jpg

a quick mock of of round one, primer paint for all parts. The proper paints will get here tommorow, so we'll try and get most, if not all done the right way then. Now, I've noticed mine doesn't fit tightly as you stated, and it's STILL a bit crooked, so obvously I've got more sanding to do. Despite the fact that the top of the dome looks like it's sitting flat, it clearly isn't. The dome is supposed to slide all the way to the bottom of the inner dome, so it matches the blue part, correct? Or is the blue part supposed to rise up to meet the outer dome?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back