R2D2 Build - 2/3 the size

Re: R2D2 Build - just small enough to be cool

Man how cool!! very nice!

Incredible. This is the stuff of dreams!

Awesome little astromech droid!

this is really fantastic! absolutely love this! :thumbsup

Skills, my friend. You possess mad skills. It looks great! Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Absolutely inspiring, warmest congratulations.

Highest regards

MARK

Thank all of you! You all rock!

I'm working on the room now, but I'll be back to finish this project soon!

Re: R2D2 Build - just small enough to be cool

Hey there friends, I have some major updates on this project:love

(Please bare with me, this is a pretty long post)

I have had a ton of emails from members about this build, and possibly getting parts made for you, so I thought it was best that i update you as fully as possible, and share with you the plans going forward. Sorry it has been a while, but I wanted to see how things would go before updating.

As I have said, my father and I started this project several years ago, and then realized how complicated our favorite little blue friend really is to make. And I must say thank the Stars my dad is as amazing as he is at the craft, Everything I have learned is due to him, and there is no way it would look this good without him.

Now, we have planned initially to have built 3 of these for me, 1 for my dad, and then he wanted to build several for; sisters, nephew, friends, etc.

Due to the size of a full scale replica, and the insane cost of one, these little guys are perfect, and we have them down to a pretty manageable cost to build.

The problem has been the crazy amount of time my dad has had to spend hand making all the little parts, and on this guy there are a TON! So we looked into casting all the parts, and that has been the major progress of late (tons of pics of that process below.)

I have had several emails about this project, and thank you guys for your interest and looking! In these emails people have asked me about the size, where we got the domes, if we were going to make molds, and would we be willing to make some for you guys? Here are the answers to both questions:

1. The size; We got the blueprints from the Yahoo Builders Group, which we found a link to on :: Astromech.net :: R2 Builders Club Official Website :: Once we had the blueprints, my dad scaled it to fit a 12" dome and body, roughly 1/3 the size of the original. This was achieved by, and get this, multiplying the original measurements by .666 One guy told my dad it was the droid from the Dark Side. :lol

2. We originally got the domes from a local mom and pop restaurant supply store. They ran about $8, and were nearly the perfect size. However, after my father started casting, we discussed just making a mold of the dome, with all the detail already cut in. We figured it would nearly double the cost, plus the money for the mold, but if I had to pay $30 - $40 for a lid already pre-cut that just needed a little maintenence, and paint, not a bad price :confused

3. Selling the castings? I have to admit, I have several questions about this, and I am hoping all of you may have the advice for me. I would love nothing more than to offer you all, those who want it, parts to build your very own 1/3 scale droid. Is this a problem with copywrite laws? We would not be selling you complete R2 units assembled, but the kits to build your own? I have seen people sell casts of many things without this coming up; HIC casts, Light Saber parts, and so on. What do you think???

- additionally to this, would any of you actually be interested? if so, there is a question of cost. I have seen many people complain about the cost of runs, and others not. There is obviously the cost of the material, but the time put in on casting them, and no doubt the time that was taken to make all the original parts. Of course, we are not out to take -advantage of anyone on this site, you are all great. But I would think that a little funds for the hard work wouldn't be crazy :confused right?

Basically, we are making molds, because my father and I both want to make several, and it takes way to long to make them each by hand. So if any of you want your own, let me know, and we will try to figure out the cost, and make it available to you guys at a very reasonable cost. Also if you have opinion on the subject, as always, i am completely open to suggestions.

I want to offer a shout out to Finhead for his amazing help with the casting process. He had great suggestions for me on product and the process. He was also open to helping my father with his questions. If any of you need assistance in the mold and casting process, i highly recommend you reach out to him. I can testify to his ability as well, as I have the honor of a wonderfully made Iron Man mask from him as a SS gift. You rock man!

In the mean time, enjoy the build!!!!

This is a shot of one of inner arm workings, and the process for this:

BG

BG

BG

BG

BG

BG

These shots are of the mold and casting process:

BG

BG

BG

BG

One of the more complicated parts to cast were the feet, but it had to be done, as these took many, many hours to make by hand. Again, my poor dad had to design a rather difficult box to make the mold, thank god its him not me:eek

BG

BG

BG

sorry, these are cell phone pics, and a little rough, but still pretty cool:

6810259522_7e4427ec62_z.jpg

6810259604_1bd4cd657f_z.jpg

6956368837_089b0e6966_z.jpg

6810259746_89cb933cc5_z.jpg

And here is group of the smaller parts cast:

6810255436_4c9e196417_z.jpg

6956364549_4ccf0c1ee6_z.jpg

6810255252_7f476354bb_z.jpg

Re: R2D2 Build - just small enough to be cool (Update 3/5/12!!!)

Wow looks like you guys nailed the mold building.:) Glad I could help you out.
The build is looking amazing as always.:thumbsup

Re: R2D2 Build - 1/3 the size, but still cool (Update 3/6/12!!!)

Two more foot pads pulled last night!

6812971610_de56fd7294_z.jpg

just wanted to reply so I could see a finished product. Pretty cool thing to have on a dinner table as a set piece ;o)

More molding and casting, pretty soon these little guys will be 100% ready for assembly!

This is the lens assembly:

6896119134_e939cd50b0_z.jpg

7042216261_e5d64ed43e_z.jpg

Foot casting:

7042216565_eedbb4832c_z.jpg

6896120536_c95d9e5d04_z.jpg

6896120256_326e08fe46_z.jpg

Couple other small parts:

7042216887_ea340cccf9_z.jpg

You said perhaps a parts kit? Color me interested!

Don't forget to put an interest thread in the JY when you're considering a kit for real. :)

You said perhaps a parts kit? Color me interested!

Don't forget to put an interest thread in the JY when you're considering a kit for real. :)

Yes indeed, we are totally planning on having a kit. This is our first run at this process, and we wanted to make sure the parts were perfect. So far they have come out great. I will definitely be creating a thread for it when ready, and I have kept a list of people that have showed interest.

I'm not sure what shipping would cost to Australia but certainly add me to the list..

Great build

High regards

MARK

Could you describe the head/body interface? What is that metal ring/bearing that you're using? It appears that you may also be using an RC car tire to rotate the head? How much of that metal work is off the shelf versus custom built by you?

Awesome build. One of the best on this forum.

Make sure I'm on that list, please! :D

Done sir.

I'm not sure what shipping would cost to Australia but certainly add me to the list..

Great build

High regards

MARK

I'm sure we can figure the shipping out for you man.

Could you describe the head/body interface? What is that metal ring/bearing that you're using? It appears that you may also be using an RC car tire to rotate the head? How much of that metal work is off the shelf versus custom built by you?

Awesome build. One of the best on this forum.

So far the head is made from a 12" cake dome from a supply store. We are working on casting the dome, and we are pretty sure we can pull it off.

The metal ring is just a lazy Suzan from Home Depot, it just happens to be the correct size.

We are using an old RCA wheel connected up with a small motor, and a battery. This is probably not the ultimate solution, but something like it would work.

The metal work is not custom. The cabinet lazy Susan pretty much is installed as is.

Love this build, awesome work. Loving the thread.

Thank you very much.

That is really stellar work, guys! Your dad is quite the artisan!

Best,
Nathan

That is really stellar work, guys! Your dad is quite the artisan!

Best,
Nathan

Thanks Nathan, yes he is. The attention to detail he gives each piece is amazing! To think we started this out as just a little joke; a sono concrete tube, some MDF, and a steel bowl from Target . . . to this!

awesome work, I want one now....

Me too man, this has been a 3 year project, and now with the casting i could have all three by June :eek :eek :eek

Amazing work, looking forward to seeing R2 completed.

Please put me down as interested in a kit for this.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back