R2-D2 - 1976 RC True Historic Build blog

They were all hand built, so they all are slightly different.

The ANH bodies were definitely made using a pattern automation on a Strippit 30/30 pattern punch machine.
The bodies should be all spot on to the dimensions on the body blueprints.
The only thing that would have been left open for interpretation would have been the un-dimensioned mechanical arms.

We were provided with drawings for the body of R2

Dr. David Watling

We had a thing called a Strippit.
It was digitally set [using] a platform that knew exactly where all the holes had to go from a template
And you would make a template and then copy that on to every piece of metal that you wanted.
So we knew that everything that we made would be identical.
And then we would fold and weld and rivet and finish it off.

Dr. David Watling

Check out this link of how the bodies would have been duplicated from a pattern using the Strippit punch machine.

Strippet.PNG

Everything you would put your stylus in the hole in the template it would punch a hole in the metal that you were wanting to work on.
We had some hundreds of different shapes of punches that you could quickly change.
So you went around the pantograph, did all the holes on one side, changed the punch, and then did all the ones...
So those panels would all have been within a few thousands of an inch
Absolutely identical

Dr. David Watling

Last edited:
I do have to correct one thing here. Almost all the droid props that were used in the prequels were original trilogy droids. Only 2 new droids were built: One was built at ILM, and one was built in England - both were RC droids for driving scenes. The buzz droid decapitation head was a first-run R&J dome.
R2s were painted and repainted back and forth to play as different droids throughout filming.

Duncan,

Sorry if I was a little ambiguous in the post. I was referring to the scenes where the R&J dome was used for the stunt double for the R4 head. I was my understanding that all the R4 heads were cast of the original Planet Hollywood mold.

Here is the R4 hero head used for almost all of the shots.

R4.PNG

This is the R&J dome that is in scene for a few seconds and but the first frame of film is already cut in two.

R&J.PNG

I was looking to trace the lineage of the R4 cast that we are using as part of the reference for this project (short of getting access to the original AND RC head)

Lineage.PNG

I think the lineage of our head cast is correct. And the cast definitely came from the same mold when you start to look at the defects transferred to the cast from the mold.

COA.jpg

Mark Kiger helped identify the ESB head used for the original mold that made our cast!
It was the fiberglass ESB head publicly displayed during the Magic of the Myth exhibition.
One of the markers is the broken panel about the rear flashing optics as well as the missing panel below the rear flashing optics.

MOM-Head.jpg

Cast-Head.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like that is a members only link. :(

My bad.
Assumed you’d be a member of the Astromech forum, if you’re interested/building/researching the history of an R2 unit. You really should register so you can read the post, it even has info on R5-D4 that I didn’t know about till after I had built mine.

Can you talk a little more about the metal pieces. You say earlier that a set was acquired that were made during the OT. Were they machined like yours or cast, because the surface looks somewhat less pristine. I realize their age, but...were they tumbled or something to be less "perfect"? Also, would all those parts have been machined or did they make a master and cast duplicates?

Can you talk a little more about the metal pieces. You say earlier that a set was acquired that were made during the OT. Were they machined like yours or cast, because the surface looks somewhat less pristine. I realize their age, but...were they tumbled or something to be less "perfect"? Also, would all those parts have been machined or did they make a master and cast duplicates?

There is a pretty good conversation going on about the reference pieces over at OpenR2

Last edited:
Can you talk a little more about the metal pieces.

The original pieces are a little beat up. They have been welded and then grinded smooth. They are oxidized. They have been painted grey,

For this build I'm not planning on painting grey. I'll TIG weld then and the grind them smooth. I'll probably hit them lightly with some media blast.

Tacking everything together.

The edges have a bit of a burr that need to be removed. Once welded the seems in the corners should disappear after grinding.

This is probably the last of working with this resin bath and batch of fiber.
I have a new design for the resin bath to print in clear and a new grommet to print in black flexible.
Instead of blacked jacketed end lit, I think the fibers needs to be clear jacketed side lit with a black shrink wrap leaving the ends in the resin bath with about an inch exposed.
I am ordering these parts today,

update.jpg

Today we got to physically layout an original ANH mech arm casting on an full scale ANH production blueprint.

The ANH Artoo production blueprints don't have actual dimensions on the mechanical arms.

Neil Anderson was not 100% sure on how he scaled these from the blueprints when he made the original castings.

At first I thought that they made have been traced flat on a piece of paper and then laid along the 18-1/4" surface of the casting. But this comes up about a 1/4" too short.

Last edited:
We know that there was a ANH detail drawing called Mechanical Arms Drawing 37. This is called out on the Front Elevation.

Drawing37.PNG

We have a copy of the ROTJ drink tray drawing 252. Drawing 252 has what looks like its the front and top view of the machinal arms thought to be traced over from the ANH drawing 37.

Laying the physical ANH mechanical arm over the ROTJ 252 ... well, that is looking pretty good .... this might be the first indicator that the mech arms were fabricated from the top view of ANH drawing 37.

Everything is in the right spot lengthwise along the curve of the body as well as in and out.

IMG_2275.jpg

Last edited:
The head bearings outer assembly have shipped. As soon as they arrive and pass inspection I'll order the inner bearing components.

While these are being manufactured, I am moving down the body structure to the frame. This is the what we have modeled for the True Historic Remote Control unit framing.

This is based on the Elstree Leg Drop blueprints and photos of the units from 1976.

Screenshot 2021-03-27 01.37.55.png

Screenshot 2021-03-27 01.48.33.png

Screenshot 2021-03-27 01.41.25.png

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back