Quick silicone question

Aginwald

Allright, I just have a quick question:
I have about 1kg of "RTV 3022", and it turns out I don't have enough of it for one of my molds. As it was pretty expensive I was thinking about going for another brand (a little cheaper) which silicone is labelled "RTV70". So it's not exactly the same one, but as far as I can guess, it's very close. So I was wondering if I could use both for the same mold?
I'm not talking about mixing them together, but pouring the first one, and then the 2nd on top of it.
Any guess?
Thanks a lot! :eek:

Hey There. You should find out from the manufacturer whether they can be mixed as you've describe. The worst case scenario is the silicone curing at different times and it may peel off from other layers of different silicone type. So find out why they are different: catalyst mixing ratio, viscosity, curing time, etc.

!!! Its usually not recommended to mix different batches as it may cause more harm then help. I suggest you stick to the same type of silicone +$ vs. f-ing both batches x2$ down the drain. Trust me I've wasted enough silicone $$$ for the both of us. Just ask the manufacturer or save up more loot for the proper materials to do the job. Good Luck

I couldn't find any specs on the 3022, but the most important thing you'll probably need to assess is whether it's tin based or platinum based. The RTV70 is tin-based. You'll need them both to be the same base, as tin and platinum based silicones don't favor each other and the 70 will likely not cure properly if the 3022 is platinum based.

Thanks a lot guys!
I think it's better to be on the safe side and I won't mix them together. I would hate for the whole thing to go down the drain.
Once again, huge thanks, you probably saved me a lot $$$ :eek:

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back