Quick question regarding AT-AT and Vellejo air paint

DARTH SABER

Master Member
Any good suggestions on what color to use?
I usually order online but its difficult to tell the true color of the paint on the computer.
So far my Vallejo primer seems to be a good match.
Wondering If I should just use the primer are the base color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Tamiya Surface Primer Light Grey on mine..

2016 - AT-AT Walker 05.jpg

The question is,...are you satisfied with it? I mean in the end that's the only thing that matters!

Afterall, like alll model painting you will see references in every shadde of the colour due to a host of factors. So I would just shoot what I like!

I too stressed about this and mixed up a custom colour using three Tamiya paints and am happy with it! BUT I think to be honest it would look just as good in almost any shade of grey!

Im happy with the color of the primer I have. Just not sure if Primer has the smoothbase coat qualities as the standard paint.
Would primer be acceptable for a base coat?

Last edited:
My current plan is to use Touch 'n tone primer and then maybe Vallejo Model Air 71.060 Light Grey.
Then do any tinting or shading with pastel chalks.

My current plan is to use Touch 'n tone primer and then maybe Vallejo Model Air 71.060 Light Grey.
Then do any tinting or shading with pastel chalks.

Sounds good, mash3d. If you're going to airbrush on your light grey, why not don't use Vallejo primer instead of the rattle can? It's airbrush-able. For my AT-AT, I didn't do much for paneling/weathering. I painted one panel and then dry brushed on the chalk, sparely. After that, I applied the streaks with wet-chalk.

Im happy with the color of the primer I have. Just not sure if Primer has the smoothbase coat qualities as the standard paint.
Would primer be acceptable for a base coat?

Primers are okay for base coats, DARTH SABER. But I'm not sure if Vallejo's primer will apply smoothly. Also, that shade of primer may not be light enough. Thru my research, I did find a mixing formula they used for the AT-ATs. Floquil Reefer Grey with a small amount Floquil Concrete. The closet color to that, I used, was Tamiya grey primer. You could use that as a reference color. I hope that helps.

Primers are okay for base coats, DARTH SABER. But I'm not sure if Vallejo's primer will apply smoothly. Also, that shade of primer may not be light enough. Thru my research, I did find a mixing formula they used for the AT-ATs. Floquil Reefer Grey with a small amount Floquil Concrete. The closet color to that, I used, was Tamiya grey primer. You could use that as a reference color. I hope that helps.

Thanks.
Actually I just picked up Vallejo USAF Light Grey.

I think this may be pretty close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back