Quick Fiberglass Question

SkyBlazeHunter

(got a quick responce in a message, it smells.. BAD lol Thanks guys)

So im going to be working with it soon, i must know though if it smells horrible, that will determin if im setting up shop in the basement or outdoors lol. So my question is, is the smell horrible or barely there?
Thanks, sorry about the stupid question but i gotta know and if any one knows, its you guys XD

Hah, yes it does. I know this has now been answered for you, but just for anyone else...a basement or something, where the resin fumes can't escape out of a window, is a BAD idea. Wear a respirator, not just a dust mask, especially when sanding or cutting it after it's cured.

Epoxy resin is available which does not have these kinds of problems, but it is best suited to epoxy specific fiberglass. It has a very faint odor, and the safety sheet I read did not suggest that a respirator was required. In my experience though, it's kind of a pain to work with, and pretty slow curing.

Definitely do it outdoors. I made a fiberglass claw and lobster shell in my basement for my Zebraman costume, and the smell lingered in the house for a week or two after that. In fact, even after I moved out to the garage, it still made my garage smell.

I don't think I'll ever use fiberglass again unless it's the only possible choice. I'd rather use some material that isn't going to destroy my respiratory system.

Definitely do it outdoors. I made a fiberglass claw and lobster shell in my basement for my Zebraman costume, and the smell lingered in the house for a week or two after that. In fact, even after I moved out to the garage, it still made my garage smell.

I don't think I'll ever use fiberglass again unless it's the only possible choice. I'd rather use some material that isn't going to destroy my respiratory system.
I agree...I avoid using it if at all possible. If people specifically ask for it on stuff I'll do it, and it costs extra.

LOL i love fiberglass but it does mess with ya. When i was on startrek i was spraying fiberglass with a full body suit and resperator on and when i would get home i remeber feeling like i was floating down the hallway and having a pounding headach the next mourning. Its great stuff but it is very bad for your brain and lungs. Even with a resperator it will still get in, do it outside... Its a great thing to know how to do tho, you can switch to making all your molds out of fiberglass! I use it for everything!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back