Qui Gon Jinn's Lightsaber: Screen Accurate?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by KaanE, May 5, 2015.

1. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Hello all, some of you may remember I asked a few weeks ago for some reference pics of the Qui's lightsaber. Well, obviously I was working onto creating the most accurate Qui Gon Jinn's lightsaber replica. I started working with some known measures to create my own templates and I wanted to share these with you before investing the money on it. Well, first of all is a general blueprint of the lightsaber and then a 3D render of the black pieces. My plan is to build three individual pieces for the resin casts with a .375" hole for the rod, and machine the emmiter in aluminium, as well as the sleeve (which would be made with a 42mm OD with a 2mm wall thickness).

Untitled-2.jpg

Image.jpg Image2.jpg

What do you think? What would you change or... What is bothering you?

Help me please... And thank you for watching! ;)

mugatu likes this.
  2. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Good starting point :) Here you have some reference.
    IMG_5679-e1293685589178.jpg Jinn_side.jpg lightsaber-display-qui-obi.jpg

3. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Thank you for the heads up! Although... none of these are screen accurate... But thank you! :D

4. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Something about your pommel isn't sitting quiiiite right with me. But I've probably been looking at the inaccurate MR pommel for too long is all! Otherwise looks great. Were the originals all resin?

KaanE likes this.
  5. bookface

bookface Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your pommel looks too small. It should be flush with the sleeve in diameter.

KaanE likes this.
  6. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Do you think it should be completly flush? From the pics I have, the pommel looks to start at half the sleeve thickness... First is the Hero, second a Stunt:

1.jpg 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you're right, I have to modify the pommel a little bit, but I think it's not completly flush. Am I wrong?

7. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Something like this looks better? It's really hard to get the pommel! All the pictures are low-res or too dark! Argh!

Untitled-1.jpg

thd9791 and cayman shen like this.
  8. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

This saber design never did appeal to me ... so I never did proper research of the parts ... but I'll have a look in the Chronicles Prequels book tomorrow if I can find better pictures :) Meanwhile here's parts of sw : http://www.partsofsw.com/Ep_1/index.htm see under item > lightsabers > Qui-Gon Jinn ;)

Chaim

KaanE likes this.
  9. cayman shen

This is one of my fave sabers, but I feel like the pommel is a slippery thing to nail down. I think your second drawing is better, but I'm still not quiiiite seeing what I see on the prop. Perhaps the "softening" of the casting process affected it, and that's what I'm seeing? I dunno.

KaanE likes this.
  10. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Here is what I think the final version of the pommel. Let me know what do you think! :)

Untitled-1.jpg

Image2.jpg Image.jpg

11. bookface

bookface Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You're right actually, I was misremembering the reference pics. Your second version looks much closer, but still not quite as rounded as the original perhaps.

KaanE likes this.
  12. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Here it's: I have triplecheck'ed measures as well as Hero pictures. I think I got it.

Untitled-1.jpg

2.jpg 1.jpg

13. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

much better, the softer edges help...let me see what I have here. I don't think that last part before the circle cap is a bevel, it looks rounder

qui6.jpg qui2.jpg

14. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

It's actually round. You can see it clearly in the first render in the post above.

thd9791 likes this.
  15. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

nice! I missed a couple posts haha can't wait to see the result!

16. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

17. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Here are two pictures taken by me where you can actually see what's happening in there. I forgot I had taken those... Will make a new version ASAP.

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    thd9791 likes this.
  18. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Well, I just finished it. What do you think guys?

1.jpg 2.jpg

19. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

This is all I could find :

[​IMG]

and then a little PS to lighten the details :

[​IMG]

Alas this lightsaber still does not appeal to me ... but I'm looking forward to your skills in making the most screen-accurate :)

Chaim

KaanE likes this.
  20. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Thank you Chaim! I think I got it, maybe a small mod to the curvature of the central ring and that's it!

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Sym-Cha likes this.
  21. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

I have fixed the attachment. I wasn't working :wacko

22. redinight

redinight New Member

Really wish someone would do a run of accurate pommels for the MR saber...

23. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Maybe I can cast some extras if there is any interest on those...

24. cayman shen

Looking good!

25. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

I have just finished my final version of the pommel. I'm not going to tweak it unless better reference is avaiable. Here is a render:

2.jpg

I hope you guys like it. BTW, I've also finished the grip section. I'll post some pictures tomorrow...

26. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Here are the grips and the "head". Next thing to do would be the emitter, which will be made out of aluminium, so first into the casted pieces.

grips.jpg head.jpg

27. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

I have redesigned everything. Now the sleeve is 38mm (1.5") diameter so everything has been redesigned from scratch, not simply a scale down (except for the pommel). I have already ordered from Shapeways the pommel with the last mods and I'd have it by early next weekend (05/19 probably). I'll post some updates then.

28. xena10ares

xena10ares Well-Known Member

Anything yet? I'm excited to see it

29. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

KaanE, I'm not very familiar with the details of this saber, but your rendering skills are great!
    The saber looks very cool. This whole time I thought that black part was leather or padding or something. I can't wait to see your full saber, man.

30. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

I received the pommel and had the other pieces redesigned. The pommel is really nice and exactly what I was expecting. The only problem is that I'm out of budget for a few months and won't be able to vuy the other parts. I'll try to post some good pictures of the pommel later today.

Thank you for the support, guys.

Sym-Cha and mugatu like this.