Qui-Gon Jinn Cosplay, Qui Gon impersonation cosplay costume, Qui-Gon cosplay / Liam Neeson impersonation Cosplay costume

greenmachines

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Star_Wars_Episode_Darrell.jpg

Qui-Gon took several years and multiple attempts. My hairline was very similar so I figured it was worth a try. My first attempt was simply borrowing my son's costume. It was very tight but I wanted to wear something special to the movie. This has started builds several times. I did my hair, shaved appropriately, donned the costume and added my all too versatile Doc Martens calf high boots. The place was filled with costumes but they were all going to a private showing of the movie and I was not. I was the only costume in a packed theater and of course walked in late. As we left, a young man asked me to pose with him and snapped the following:

1583_1173217146039165_975331147732938128_n.jpg

I was bursting the seams on a child size costume and was still having fun. It did convince me to really go full out and try the build. It also taught me how scary facial recognition is when Facebook told me this guy posted this pic and he never got my name, I was not tagged and I had long before turned off approval of facial recognition in my FB account.

Years later, I actually won the base Jedi costume on an online game through Wish.com. After several poses, I knew I would need the nose and a better background.

Screenshot_20210312-013120_Video Player (1).jpg

I decided to go green screen on backgrounds and set up my green sheet on my porch. I had also recently signed up for Stan Winston Scool of Character Arts and was learning to do the prosthetic nose by face cast, sculpting and molding.

20210502_194006.jpg

First you do a cast of your face. I needed only the nose so I was able to do an alginate and plaster cast while still leaving my mouth open to breath. When this is set, you do a reverse, filling it with plaster. When the plaster sets you have a positive of your face. This process is much more technical than I am explaining and I would advise checking several tutorials on this prior to trying it. Stan Winston has pro level instruction on the process. DO NOT APPLY PLASTER CAST MATERIAL DIRECTLY TO YOUR FACE. I have seen videos about doing just that and they don't end well.

Now you sculpt Neeson's nose onto your plaster face with a removable molding clay. I believe mine was called Chavant.

20210429_224005.jpg

When this is complete, apply a release agent. I used spray on vegetable oil. Pour a new negative plaster mold off of this new custom face and nose. When set, remove the mold and remove the clay from your facial positive cast. Now there is a positive and negative that can be put together to get Qui-Gon's nose fitting to my face. I am going to leave this here for now because my son wants to go to the game store.... back in a few to finish the build post.

Last edited:
I followed the instructor's recipe for cooking the gelatin that i was using for my prosthetic nose and poured my first ever attempt. The color was like bread dough but I tried to cover it with makeup.... this does not suffice.

20210504_215520.jpg

20210719_215547.jpg

Note: I had no makeup, owned no makeup and had to negotiate with my daughter for this giftset.

But the line between prosthetic and skin is just too hard to hide.

20210731_194635.jpg

I had to color the prosthetic first. Second batch with color matching. I added powders from the makeup kit while boiling my gelatin.

20210801_092657.jpg
20210801_094118.jpg
20210801_103747.jpg
and I was ready to mold again

20210817_003020.jpg

This is when I first noticed that the color of the gelatin changes depending on the type of light. LED flash, sunlight and incandescent lighting all change the color the way a black light makes colors change. This isn't just an issue with brightness or diffusion, the color actually changes. So now the best colors will need to be the same lighting as when I mixed the gelatin. This weirdness is a known thing in the movie world and requires "Last Looks", a nickname given this review process for this exact known cause.

So now I needed to get my greenscreen shots/poses:

20210814_204140.jpg
20210816_221049.jpg

This one reminded me that I did add some paintbrush hairs with spirit gum to fill in my sparse beard. After about a thousand and two poses, I greenscreen magicked me into the following shots. All of these are me in place of Liam. No photoshopping was done to fix my makeup or costume and was only used to match lighting filters to each shot. No cheating here.

Photo_1629061802976_Processed.png
20210815_150900.jpg
Photo_1629167124271_Processed.png
Photo_1629095070351_Processed.png
Star_Wars_Episode_Darrell.jpg

My facial comparison app started around 80% and jumped to 85 with the addition of the nose. This following shot is the original poster with Liam Neeson to compare with mine. I am proud to say, this is about the time that my cosplay efforts could fool even my own mother.

thumb-1920-348156.jpg

Attachments

• dqui.jpg
    dqui.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
Here is a link for the how to video for his hair:

Let me explain this from the standpoint of doing this without a helper. Using the pointer finger of both hands, put your fingertip of your right hand at the point where the front and top of your ear joins your face on the right, left hand on left side, and scoop across the back of your head and up, to come together about one inch behind the crown of your head. For most normal humans this will be one inch behind the spot that seems to be where all your hair lays away from a central point. If that hasn't rung any bells, do some research on crown. Both hands will be doing the same but mirrored action and meeting at that point in the upper back, scooping up hair so that you can place it all in a pony tail. Secure this with a hair tie, dark brown or black. If this is new to you, look up videos on how to do a pony tail. But this one is a bit higher than a half pony and flops back in such a way that the hair on top is holding the weight of the pony tail but the sides will slack a bit, giving the qui-gon side hair like in the movie. A braid is made of the hair you have gathered for about 2 to 3 inches and dressed with a leather thong tie tassle, also black. Watch the video and match this pic of the actor:

Screenshot_20210510-111739_Samsung Internet.jpg

Note how the top hair in the pony is being pulled by the weight of it but the sides are slack and starts to sneak over his ears? And how the hair in the back seem to curve up to the middle? I achieved this by securing the pony tail up from the scalp about an inch instead of pulling it scary tight as for a bun. It then flops down the back instead of flagpoling.

Notice you see the tie wrap and not the braid and no braid is seen coming out of the tie. But trust me on the braid part as trying to keep that leather tie in place without the hair bound in some way in a braid will not turn out straight for that 3 inches of wrapping. I suppose if you had a helper, maybe.

Found this one that I had done as makeup only before the build was done. Got very close to a match on this one, around 84% likeness.

qui-gonjinncosplayDG.jpg

Attachments

• qui-goncosplayopendoorway.png
    qui-goncosplayopendoorway.png
    142 KB · Views: 173
  • Qui-Goncosplayposter_Darrell.jpg
    Qui-Goncosplayposter_Darrell.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 104
  • qui-gonjinncosplaysideface.jpg
    qui-gonjinncosplaysideface.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 73
  • qui-goncosplayopendoorway.jpg
    qui-goncosplayopendoorway.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 73
Very good and I know it's difficult to really get closer than that when your original facial features are locked in.
Liam has a longer space between the apex of his nose, the philtrum and the cupid bow. Besides that, I applaud your dedication to the craft of using appliances to make the look as close as possible (y) (y)

Very good and I know it's difficult to really get closer than that when your original facial features are locked in.
Liam has a longer space between the apex of his nose, the philtrum and the cupid bow. Besides that, I applaud your dedication to the craft of using appliances to make the look as close as possible (y) (y)
I love the challenge in each project which spurs the learning curve on the next one. I have gained several tools since that time but am still looking for a true face tracing and overlay method. I imagine a tracing process that creates the carnival artist style charicature that I can then use to overlay the original or vice versa. My newest method (didn't have this for Liam) is true half half split face. When I get my process complete for the charicature overlay idea, I will post it under that name. Fingers crossed. And, you have a great eye for the subtleties, it is what I have been learning by using this facial app. Things I wouldn't have noticed before.

I love the challenge in each project which spurs the learning curve on the next one. I have gained several tools since that time but am still looking for a true face tracing and overlay method. I imagine a tracing process that creates the carnival artist style charicature that I can then use to overlay the original or vice versa. My newest method (didn't have this for Liam) is true half half split face. When I get my process complete for the charicature overlay idea, I will post it under that name. Fingers crossed. And, you have a great eye for the subtleties, it is what I have been learning by using this facial app. Things I wouldn't have noticed before.
Thanks; I'm one of the 2% of the population called a "Super Recognizer";) Subtle changes in facial features will trigger an immediate response in my brain:p Cannot help it; it's how I'm built.
Beside that, you're building blocks (the facial features you were born with) are the frame you're using to build another frame onto it; that's why I understand the character choices you've made. Your features have to be already as close, originally, as the character you're trying to match.
That's why, in the end, there's a limit to what you can do and cannot do. A feature that cannot be changed is the ear!
There're better than finger prints; that's why intelligence agencies are gathering early pictures of leaders to see if they don't have a double...by just looking at their ears:)

Thanks; I'm one of the 2% of the population called a "Super Recognizer";) Subtle changes in facial features will trigger an immediate response in my brain:p Cannot help it; it's how I'm built.
Beside that, you're building blocks (the facial features you were born with) are the frame you're using to build another frame onto it; that's why I understand the character choices you've made. Your features have to be already as close, originally, as the character you're trying to match.
That's why, in the end, there's a limit to what you can do and cannot do. A feature that cannot be changed is the ear!
There're better than finger prints; that's why intelligence agencies are gathering early pictures of leaders to see if they don't have a double...by just looking at their ears:)
Which then triggers a choice of scenes, with hair over the ear, hat on, bandana, etc.. Angle of head to hide the conspicuous differences and emphasize the similarities. And absolutely yes on why I choose certain builds based on the face comp being higher than 45 percent before alterations or additions. Much of this comes from 2 decades working in IT security. You are one that understands what I mean when I say I "feel" the change in perception when I see the other person instead of myself. It is a truth switch, on or off, and it is thrilling to come across a photo of yourself when you mistake it for someone else. You can feel the switch when you recognize the cosplayer when moments before it looked like the target actor. It feels, not a thinking process, it feels like they changed before your eyes at the moment of recognition. This is the precise reason that the half half facial split comparison works on an instinctual level. If you look in a mirror, your brain wants the two sides to mirror as close as possible on your own face. Replacing half of your face with the target photo triggers all the alarms, eyebrow is too dark, too high, too long, skin is slightly different texture, color... on and on. It becomes your face and you sense the differences, you don't need to purposely look for them, they scream out like finding half your eyebrow is shaved off. It allows the other 98 percent of the population to scale up their senses the way you describe your every day levels. Great tool:
halfandhalf.jpg

^^
Yes on many of your points! I tend to shut my mouth when people (family/acquaintances/strangers) are saying things like: "Oh, yes; she looks like (put name of famous actor/actress)!" They aren't the doppleganger of that particular individual:rolleyes::rolleyes:...but, again...that's me and my brain;)
I'll see you once for a few seconds and you'll be in my "Face File" forever:D

So, my stuff got stolen AGAIN. This time it was qui-gon. I did laugh because the stolen page got hosted on a stolen website. So the joke today is "Did my Qui-Gon suck? Because it is now being hosted on a server for Industrial Vacuum Systems."

DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING FROM THEIR WEBSITE!!! SCAM PAGE!! But still funny....

Screenshot_20240116-164659_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240116-165431_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240116-165409_Samsung Internet.jpg

OK, so another one stolen but I must say it is the best compliment I have EVER recieved on my Qui-Gon costume. The following is a link to a page talking about Qui-Gon as force ghost and guess who it really is? Yeppers, it is me, about six pictures into it. This one has an entire article about Qui-Gon coming back as force ghost but my pic is included as Liam in the council scene. I swear I could pee myself I am so freaking enjoying this.

www.charminarmi.com

Star Wars: First Look at Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon Force Ghost Merch (Photos), qui gon jinn actor - charminarmi.com

Star Wars: First Look at Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon Force Ghost Merch (Photos), qui gon jinn actor - charminarmi.com
www.charminarmi.com
and again don't trust anything here, likely scam ridden but booyah baby, I got cover photo:

Screenshot_20240116-172840_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240116-174651_Samsung Internet.jpg

OK, so another one stolen but I must say it is the best compliment I have EVER recieved on my Qui-Gon costume. The following is a link to a page talking about Qui-Gon as force ghost and guess who it really is? Yeppers, it is me, about six pictures into it. This one has an entire article about Qui-Gon coming back as force ghost but my pic is included as Liam in the council scene. I swear I could pee myself I am so freaking enjoying this.

View attachment 1779815

www.charminarmi.com
and again don't trust anything here, likely scam ridden but booyah baby, I got cover photo:

Screenshot_20240116-172840_Samsung Internet.jpg

View attachment 1779814
Pics are not showing for me...for some reason. But wow...o_O

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back