Questions for those familiar with the "Loki Mask" replicas (1994 "The Mask")

SRF

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Since I was a child I had been a huge fan of The Mask. I've always wanted the Loki Mask and around two years ago I was seriously considering buying one.

Unfortunately due to health reasons I was out of work for a while and was not able to get my hands on one.

At the time I was looking at several masks to purchase and narrowed it down to two that I would choose one of. Both claimed to have been cast from the movies one being "The Mask" and if memory serves me correct the other was "The Son of The Mask" (Which when I went back to the site that said that they did not claim that anymore in the description which I found odd because I don't think that's something I would have made up in my head).

I don't have a trained eye for the minor details and nuances from the screen to replicas, but they both seemed somewhat accurate to my eyes. When I was seriously considering buying a replica I was working and making decent money and wasn't too concerned about the price. I knew I would be buying it and having it commissioned to be repainted. I always loved the scenes where Stanley would turn the mask over and see the mask's magic color effects transition side to side. I wanted to have someone try to mimic that with a special chameleon paint or something to that affect.

Anyway the point of this post is this:

The two choices I came across were "goldenarmor" and "reelart". I just recently learned that both these sellers don't have the best reputations, but I also want to know what is what. I spent the last few days researching about the Loki Mask on the internet mainly here and other forums. Some of which was a little convoluted and mix match information, but I think I got the just of it.

Please correct me if I'm gathering this wrong or not.

There was a production of <50-60 licensed replicas from an old company known as ICONS? That was the most accurate Loki Mask you were able to obtain as far as I know.

At some point one or both "goldenarmor" and "reelart" were selling their own renditions of the Loki Mask, however it was missing the "L"?

There are some other people whether it's ebay/etsy/amazon that are middle men (Maybe from one of these sellers) and claim their mask is cast from a Hero, but are selling for a much higher price tag than either of the two mentioned?

Some claim at a later point one or both got their hands on a ICONS mask and made a copy of that and now offer the cast replica of that mask?

I'm not sure what's what, but I am still interested in finding the most accurate Loki Mask I can get my hands on whether it's a genuine ICONs or not. So in closing I'm asking what is the correct information and also where I could find one. Whether or not it's from one of these sellers or someone else I'd like to purchase one. If I had to choose though I'm more inclined to purchase from "reelarts". I hope "goldenarmor" doesn't have a more accurate version because I have read a lot of disheartening things about them and would hate to do business with someone for the sake of having the best replica out there.

Thank you for reading!

Goldenarmor is a recaster and as a result has been banned from this site (besides, he produces crap!)
Reelart, well, I suspect a few things but nothing concrete so I’ll say nothing in that respect. However, in my experience they are incredibly overpriced.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. Do you know if any of my questions/assumptions hold any merit? Also, I absolutely love your profile picture lol

We don’t support Goldenarmor in any way, shape or form. I promise the quality you see in the pics and what you get in hand will NOT be the same.
Reelart, that one is your call. I’m sorry I can’t help more on your quest. For what it’s worth, I’ve had some pretty darn good fan made sculpts that I’ve been happy with. The mask is so intricate that it’s going to be very difficult to to tell how close it is to the original. Just find something that looks good to you. I promise, 99.999% of anyone that sees it in your collection wouldn’t know the difference between one that looks the part or a real screen used one.
Good luck in your search.

Yeah I wouldn't want to support them either after some of the things I've read. I'm just trying to find the information I'm looking for along with the best options I have for as close to screen accuracy. I've seen some fan made sculpts, but unfortunately I wasn't interested in them at all. Thanks for reading and replying though I do appreciate it.

I haven't studied the various masks much, but do think I remember the cast from hero version. The reason it cost more is due to the pedigree. I didn't get one, as I had already bought another one from another source from a member here (it may have been a ICONs copy, but I'm not really sure of the pedigree of my mask, as I didn't know much about the various sources when I bought it).

I believe the round symbol insert on the metal nose bridge was a separate piece on the original masks - haven't seen many casts that has that bit as a separate piece.

Good luck with your search.

If anyone can identify mine - pictures from the original sales thread, I believe on here - then that would be appreciated.

Loki Mask - 001.jpg

Loki Mask - 002.jpg

Watching this thread for interest. I always wanted one and I'm in the same predicament as yourself.

I haven't studied the various masks much, but do think I remember the cast from hero version. The reason it cost more is due to the pedigree. I didn't get one, as I had already bought another one from another source from a member here (it may have been a ICONs copy, but I'm not really sure of the pedigree of my mask, as I didn't know much about the various sources when I bought it).

I believe the round symbol insert on the metal nose bridge was a separate piece on the original masks - haven't seen many casts that has that bit as a separate piece.

Good luck with your search.

If anyone can identify mine - pictures from the original sales thread, I believe on here - then that would be appreciated.

Do you remember who you purchased the mask from? I wonder if they could clarify the origins of your mask. I wasn't aware that the bridge was a separate piece on the masks.

No, not the entire bridge, just the circular emblem at the top was separate.

No, but seeing the original sales pictures I have a starting point to search my old e-mails.
EDIT: the username was Punisher, but it doesn't appear that he's a member anymore, or he's changed his username.

Last edited:
No, not the entire bridge, just the circular emblem at the top was separate.

No, but seeing the original sales pictures I have a starting point to search my old e-mails.
EDIT: the username was Punisher, but it doesn't appear that he's a member anymore, or he's changed his username.

I see, that's OK. I appreciate you looking for me though thank you. Does anyone else have any idea or leads to go off on? I've hit pretty much all dead ends.

I made the Masks for the first film, and TMG is correct. The mask was created with a sunken "L", and after dailies (shots from the previous days filming) where seen, Chuck decided he couldn't see the "L" clear enough. So we made a separate coin with a raised "L" and this was added to the masks. These where cast separately, and then glued over the sunken "L" on the already cast and painted masks. In all, for the film, we made I believe 26 masks of different materials. Mostly plastic, but a few in foam rubber. I'm sure there are many more "Screen used" masks today.
(I have one tell tail thing that allows me to, in most cases, identify an authentic mask over a copy. Which I will not divulge here)

Before you ask, no I do not have any for sale. I've posted photos of real screen accurate/ used mask to help you with Your question of which replica is best.
I gave Jim Latta the mask at Icons in trade for something he had (I don't remember what), I don't know how many they actually made.

Most replicas seem to be missing the raised "L", This is most likely due a few mask copies that left Global Effects either as gifts for employees, or stolen by dishonest ones (Which there where a few). The raised "L" coin mold got misplaced soon after we completed the film, so the gift mask's and any copies made for employees, where missing this coin.

A couple of years ago I sold the last mask I had, which actually belonged to my brother. I sent it to him not long after the film was released, since his wife was a teacher, and it would mean big points for her with her students.
The mask he has was the very first one taken out of the mold, and was the one we used for screen tests. (and missing the raised "L" since we hadn't determined it needed it)
It is identifiable because under the paint, it's cast in blue plastic. Which was left over from another job. All others where cast in a tan plastic or soft foam.

Here is a shot of one of the original hero masks that was made into a crew gift for the producers and Chuck Russel. Here you can clearly see the correct paint. I would suggest, any photos of the Mask you find, with it mounted on this wood base, are authentic Masks.
0446_2_lg.jpg

This I'm pretty sure is a hero mask with the raised coin added into the nasal bar. This shot shows how the mask might look on screen, but the oxidized copper nasal here looks darker, likely because of its on set use.
img01.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, thanks for the insight. Always found the mask haunting but also looking a little sad, which gave it a unique look and which many replicas fail to capture or recreate. Keep up the great work.

I made the Masks for the first film, and TMG is correct. The mask was created with a sunken "L", and after dailies (shots from the previous days filming) where seen, Chuck decided he couldn't see the "L" clear enough. So we made a separate coin with a raised "L" and this was added to the masks. These where cast separately, and then glued over the sunken "L" on the already cast and painted masks. In all, for the film, we made I believe 26 masks of different materials. Mostly plastic, but a few in foam rubber. I'm sure there are many more "Screen used" masks today.
(I have one tell tail thing that allows me to, in most cases, identify an authentic mask over a copy. Which I will not divulge here)

Before you ask, no I do not have any for sale. I've posted photos of real screen accurate/ used mask to help you with Your question of which replica is best.
I gave Jim Latta the mask at Icons in trade for something he had (I don't remember what), I don't know how many they actually made.

Most replicas seem to be missing the raised "L", This is most likely due a few mask copies that left Global Effects either as gifts for employees, or stolen by dishonest ones (Which there where a few). The raised "L" coin mold got misplaced soon after we completed the film, so the gift mask's and any copies made for employees, where missing this coin.

A couple of years ago I sold the last mask I had, which actually belonged to my brother. I sent it to him not long after the film was released, since his wife was a teacher, and it would mean big points for her with her students.
The mask he has was the very first one taken out of the mold, and was the one we used for screen tests. (and missing the raised "L" since we hadn't determined it needed it)
It is identifiable because under the paint, it's cast in blue plastic. Which was left over from another job. All others where cast in a tan plastic or soft foam.

Here is a shot of one of the original hero masks that was made into a crew gift for the producers and Chuck Russel. Here you can clearly see the correct paint. I would suggest, any photos of the Mask you find, with it mounted on this wood base, are authentic Masks.

This I'm pretty sure is a hero mask with the raised coin added into the nasal bar. This shot shows how the mask might look on screen, but the oxidized copper nasal here looks darker, likely because of its on set use.

Thank you so much Imgill for the wealth of knowledge and being part of creating one of my favorite films ever.

Even if there was a screen used prop for sale and I had the funds I wouldn't purchase it. I don't think I could fully enjoy having an actual prop from a movie. I'd be too scared of something happening to it and I would preserve and tuck it away somewhere.

Replicas are up my ally and I'm slowly starting my collection up. Have you seen or come across any replicas that closely resemble the movie prop? If so do you know where I could purchase one?

I'm on the fence between two I've found, but the mouths don't look right. The ones from the actual movie look smaller than the ones I'm looking at now, but that also might just be because of the camera.

1593224944438.png

There are two other alternatives with different mouth sizes to this one. I'd rather not buy from those sellers, but beggars can't be choosers. I happened upon this mask last night. I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller, but I think this is the closest one I found so far.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back