Questions concerning first time silicone/acrylic casting?

IxalStride

Hey guys, first post in the forums, important enough to make an account. I love lurking here though. I'll ask my question first and then explain the background.

My question up front is can I pour acrylic like the kind from a hardware store in a paint can in a mold negative or do I need to use special binary acrylic to cast with?

Background, I'm planning on making a silicone mask of Saren Arterius from Mass Effect. I used a foam head approximately the size of my head to make a clay bust. The bust broke but in large enough pieces for me to see how it sat on my face and make adjustments to the scale before disintegrating. I'm making new flat pieces as positives from clay that I can cast negatives out of plaster with. I want to pour acrylic in the plaster negatives when they are done so I have less brittle positives to work with since I know the plaster or clay could easily break before I get any silicone to work with.

If I can answer any questions to help please let me know.
11885268_816520931800205_897708932656030498_n.jpg

11954651_816861591766139_3552081695347632889_n.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back