Questions about working with polycarbonate

Aeryk

I have a project in mind that would require working with a solid polycarbonate rod. I have never dealt with the stuff before and was just curious about some things. The project is a clear walking cane with a standard hook/crook handle. Im wanting to use polycarbonate since the acrylic ones out there arent the toughest things on earth, and I use my cane for martial arts practice as well as for a walking aid.

All of the descriptions I have seen say that the stuff is "highly machinable" that means I could shape and carve on it with stuff like files and dremel tools right?

Is it possible to bend like acrylic, by heating? The project would require me to put a 180 degree bend with a 5" inner diameter in a 1.25" solid rod. Is this possible, or do I need to look into different materials?

Lastly, all of the rods I have seen come unpolished, and I would also want to polish up any areas which I carve out. How difficult would it be to bring the stuff back up to glasslike transparency?

Essentially, I am wanting to make a polycarbonate replica of one of the Canemasters Master Canes. Id like to find out if what I want is even possible before I go and put any money into materials or anything.

Thanks
Aeryk

Sounds like a usefull document, but the link to the pdf file is broken, and I cant seem to locate it anywhere on the regalplastics.com website. Any other sites you know of with similar information?

*edit*

After a bit more searching I found that document on another website, looks like it can be worked just like acrylic from what it says. All I needed to know :)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back