Questions about The force awakens lightsaber VFX

THX1989

Hello everyone

I'm a newbie but I have been following this form and Star Wars visual effects for years. My question is after seeing the force awakens trailer Kylo Ren's lightsaber effect appears to have that gyroscopic affect as seen in ANH. My question is are they using the same rotating reflective blade technique that they used in the original? Or they simply doing it the way they did in the prequel trilogy with digital rotoscoping?

And I don't think this new lightsaber is the norm, I think it's only Kylo Ren's that will look like this. Possibly because it's because it's experimental.

It sounds like it crackles, which suggests that it is an unstable blade. While I know JJ is a fan of practical effects (which is why we love him, right?) I wouldn't expect something like the lightsaber blades (which, let's be honest, BARELY worked in ANH) to be using those nearly ancient techniques.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back