Questions about TDK/Joker "Pencil Trick" scene... OPINIONS NEEDED imo.

Nexus6

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I found myself with an unplanned day off from work today, & seeing as my wife was working, I decided to watch 'The Dark Knight' (on my Xmas Blu-ray Disc).

Having said that, it got me thinking about a couple of obscurish props, & I'd like a consensus from the interested (should there be any) members of the site, with a question I have about one of them. (& I think that sentence may be a lot more complicated than it needed to be, but there it is)

I was initially going for a couple of screencaps for my YourProps page, since I recently acquired a couple of vintage Lancashire vegetable peelers [in the appropriate color].

Anyway, when it got to the morbidly hilarious "pencil trick" scene, I watched it frame-by-frame a few times. After some forum searching, it appears the general opinion of the collective is that the pencil is a "natural" finish, with silver (or bare metal color) ferrule, & white eraser. My question now is, how did everyone come to that conclusion; is it by screencaps alone, or does someone have a hi-res production still (or the screen-used pencil, for that matter)?

Here are the clearest screencaps I have from that scene:

To ME, the pencil looks more like this (not specifically this pencil, but one of a similar design):

So, what say you? Anyone got any thoughts, opinions, empirical proof, etc?

P.S. And in case anyone is interested, the peeler seller has 3 more like the 2 I bought, & they're hella-cheap. PM me for info...

"And herrre - - - we - - - go..."

Last edited:
Re: Questions for the masses (TDK/Joker related)...

I chose mine based on screen caps alone, from the BR as well. With all the post production filters & such it's hard to be precise, especially when trying to tell pale yellow from beige.

So here's what I went for :

I'd be glad to trash it in order to get a 100% accurate version, but we have yet to see some close-up production pics.

As for the lancashire peeler, be careful as the screen-used knife was probably an early model and not one of the more recent ones.

Re: Questions for the masses (TDK/Joker related)...

As for the lancashire peeler, be careful as the screen-used knife was probably an early model and not one of the more recent ones.
Yeah, I noticed the newer models had some pretty significant design changes, that's why I was looking for (& purchased) a VINTAGE piece. :love

Great pics, especially the first one.

I'm not even sure this was an actual pencil. When you think of it, it was used for an "action" scene, and supposed to be shoved inside someone's orbit.

Chances are it was rubber or something what do you think?

Great pics, especially the first one.

I'm not even sure this was an actual pencil. When you think of it, it was used for an "action" scene, and supposed to be shoved inside someone's orbit.

Chances are it was rubber or something what do you think?
I suppose it may not have actually been a pencil, but I do think it was wood or something rigid.

When you watch the pencil trick, as Joker sticks the pencil in the table, it doesn't appear to flex or warp at all (though I'm not saying the pencil actually impaled the table-top; it may have just had some adhesive or something on the end to make it stand upright).

Then if you continue watching, as Gamble's henchman walks up to Joker, the camera pans up, moving the pencil out of frame. At that time, I think one of the other actors just grabbed the pencil off the table. Because when Joker slams the guy's head down, you can see the pencil is already gone (if you watch frame-by-frame).

So, applying "Occam's Razor" (i.e., "all things being equal, the simplest explanation will usually be correct"), I think they probably just used a pencil. ;)

Yep, read your post,,,but was just wondering how they actually did it rather then speculation :)
Yeah, I'm surprised we don't have a member here who actually worked on the film (or maybe we do but it's an omgsecret), who could provide said insight.

I'd be shocked if they created a situation where the pencil penetrated the table-top. In the scene, it looks sort of precariously balanced (after initially punching down on the table, he makes a couple of adjustments to the position). IDK. *shrugs* :wacko

Gotta agree about the "adjusting". The pencil either had adhesive on it or there was already a hole in the table.

But as you pointed out, it was removed from the table before the stuntman had his head smashed against the table, so it might have been an actual wooden pencil.

Ahhh don't you love a good prop mystery?

And here's what I finally decided on for my "Magic Pencil":

TA-DAHHH!!!
jokersmiley.gif
jokersmiley.gif
jokersmiley.gif
jokersmiley.gif
jokersmiley.gif
jokersmiley.gif
jokersmiley.gif
jokersmiley.gif

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back