Questions about Luke ESB utility belt/utility belts in general

willrhami

Hey all!

I've been made big progress on my custom blaster holster, and all I now need to do is dye it, and im now waiting on the dye I ordered. Today I thought it'd be fun to put on my load bearing belt and then my utility belt over that. However, the utility belt is a soft canvas material, which looks great, but isn't strong enough to hold up my large utility pouch, let alone a 4.5 pound blaster and holster combo.

Image.jpeg
Image 2.jpeg

if I was going for a Han Solo slanted belt look, I really wouldn't mind, but with this, that's not what I'm trying to do. Looking at Luke's ESB utility belt, it looks good and would more than work looks wise, but I guess I have a few questions I was hoping the experienced members here could answer for me if possible. The belt in the film seems to be a regular buckle set up, but I personally have never used one. is it good enough to hold up all the stuff I put on it even wit one pin holding it on? With a 4.5 pound blaster, a 3 pound saber, and a couple light weight pouches, it sounds like too much to ask of it.

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 2.53.08 PM.png
63-636432_luke-skywalker-luke-skywalker-esb-jacket.png.jpeg

I'm also curious about a different load bearing belt for my pants. Unlike Luke in ESB, I don't have magic space pants that don't slip, mine would slip all the time without one. (That is how I relate to ANH Han, however) I was looking at buying a Grip6 Web Belt in Khaki to pay homage to the original canvas utility belt and achieve a very low profile as well. Does anyone have a different idea about a main belt tom use alongside a utility belt?
GRIP6-Belts-Mens-Classic-Silver-Grey-3_1200x.jpg
silver_khaki_hero_9df26c1a-e7c1-40b3-801b-249a9f68e2cc_1200x.jpg

Thanks so much for responding this and giving me some advice!

The Luke ESB pants (when worn with the jacket) had built in suspenders thus eliminating the need for an additional belt. A good quality leather belt ( in this case a veg tanned leather strap cut from 8-9 Oz leather) should hold all your props without issue.

If you consider all the heavy tools a construction workers leather tool belt can handle, this belt should have no problem withstanding the weight of a lightsaber, blaster etc.

The Luke ESB pants (when worn with the jacket) had built in suspenders thus eliminating the need for an additional belt. A good quality leather belt ( in this case a veg tanned leather strap cut from 8-9 Oz leather) should hold all your props without issue.

If you consider all the heavy tools a construction workers leather tool belt can handle, this belt should have no problem withstanding the weight of a lightsaber, blaster etc.
I knew his magic space pants were too good to be true! I've been looking at a 8-9oz veg tan belt that I could dye whatever color I needed and add adjustment holes and whatever. You get what I'm saying. Thanks for the advice!

This thread has good bones for a belt building how to... I have been wanting to build an OT style Jedi belt with Tandy goods for quite some time now.

Come to think of it, between my father and uncle, both have left behind tool belts for me. Hmmmm...

This thread has good bones for a belt building how to... I have been wanting to build an OT style Jedi belt with Tandy goods for quite some time now.

Come to think of it, between my father and uncle, both have left behind tool belts for me. Hmmmm...
Hahahaha if I come up with something I’ll post it here, sounds fun

So, for the main utility belt section, I was thinking of going to one of my favorite independent companies, Foster Weld, based in Idaho. / They sell things that already look very Star Wars tom me and they have great costumer service. I reached out to them a while ago and asked about one of their belt buckles which had a really nice shape and everything, but had a design on it I wasn't a fan of.
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 2.10.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 2.11.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 2.10.23 PM.png

A while ago I contacted them about it and they said they would be miore than happy to do one without designs on it for a discounted price and send it over, which is awesome. If you look at their stuff on their website, they have really good weathering techniques on both raw and painted metal, so if your original Mandalorian armor needs a pop of color... They sent me a mock up of what the basic shape would look like as well.
1588195026428.png

I know there are probably others online that are far more accurate to the "Star Wars" look, but I honestly really like the look and want to support a company like this whenever I can, especially right now when it's hard to get by. I also feel like it fits the octagonal/hexagonal look of the OT belt buckles, but the curve makes it feel more unique to me, which I'm always looking for in this project. Thoughts?

Honestly, I think it'd be a lot of fun to just order a wide leather strap and do all the practical stuff myself, yeah. (belt holes, dying the leather, burnishing the edges, etc.) When I get to that, I'll post it here.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back